Author Topic: hydraulic system with rear drum  (Read 6813 times)

Offline tamk

Re: hydraulic system with rear drum
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 07:05:53 pm »
Here is the current plan. Find a donor rear master cylinder which shouldn't be to hard to link up to the rear set. Then build a slave cylinder to replace the spring closest to the lever. Where the lever goes through build a cam system to use as a brake adjuster.

Here is the big problem I have to travel for work and fly out in the morning won't be home till the weekend. No work getting done until the weekend. lots of on-line looking.

Help I could use from all you readers is I need to know what model rear master cylinder has the largest piston. I was also thinking of using a rebuild kid from a front master cylinder as the packing for my slave cylinder and need to know what the smallest bore I  can find. Thanks to all those that help me out with my crazy ideas ;D

Offline 23tbucket

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 08:44:05 pm »
Tamk: This might give you some ideas?......I used a small hydraulic slave cylinder to pull on the rear drum brake....only thing is I used a left handlebar master cylinder originally meant for the clutch on a V-rod. It seems to work okay...just not real good! A foot operated master cylinder would have more force going to the slave cylinder.

Not the best of pictures to show my set-up.....

Hope this helps? Clifford

Offline tamk

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 08:52:25 pm »
Clifford, that's just what I'm looking for. Can you give me a little more details as to where I might find the slave cylinder? And why do you say it doesn't work so well? To much force required to get good stopping force?

Offline tamk

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »
OK try number three to get this pic posted. I have decided to go forward with the conversion of my rear brake drums to a hydraulic system. The reason for this is that it will look cleaner and less cluttered with the rear set I'm currently building. I'm going to replace the spring inside the drum closest to the cam with a slave cylinder I have yet to build. Also all the linkage of the original brake system will be removed once I feel confident in the system I am putting together. My bike is still in mock up so go gentle. Let me know how crazy I am for even trying this.........

Offline rangelov

• Enthusiast
  • The Dual Disc Conversion Speedometer Driver
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 11:58:44 am »
I think it is a interesting conversion.  It should be relatively low cost.  It is unique.  It should be repeatable.  An option when customization won't let the original system work or fit.

I won't do it.  My rear drum brake is adequate.

Keep us updated.  Lots of photos and directions.

OK try number three to get this pic posted. I have decided to go forward with the conversion of my rear brake drums to a hydraulic system. The reason for this is that it will look cleaner and less cluttered with the rear set I'm currently building. I'm going to replace the spring inside the drum closest to the cam with a slave cylinder I have yet to build. Also all the linkage of the original brake system will be removed once I feel confident in the system I am putting together. My bike is still in mock up so go gentle. Let me know how crazy I am for even trying this.........
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76835
-----------------------------------------------
CB750K4, Boss maroon metallic, 836cc, RC Engrg 4 into 1, Forks by Frank, air assisted front forks,  JC Whitney 16" rear.

Offline flopshot

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 12:48:26 pm »
would this work ?

:o

seriously, try here:
http://cylval.thomasnet-navigator.com/category/standard-cylinders&bc=100|1001|1053

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 06:06:57 pm »
would this work ?

:o

seriously, try here:
http://cylval.thomasnet-navigator.com/category/standard-cylinders&bc=100|1001|1053

Thats too big.                                                                                          (thats what she said)

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »
Thats what she said! ;)

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 06:29:45 pm »
I already said that... ha ha ha

Offline tamk

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:39 pm »
Here are a couple more picks of the master cylinder set up. I still need to add a return spring and make lever I built look better. Its been kind of slow going because the front caliper needed a new piston built. That is now done and I now can move on to building the wheel cylinder for the rear drum.

I hope to have the carbs finished in the next couple weeks they were really gummy on the inside. They have been torn down and ultra sonic cleaned. I plan on soda blasting them clear then coat the bowls and top caps. I was thinking of Teflon coating the bodies black. I've started to take pics of the process when they are finished I'll get them posted step by step.

So much to do so little time, work really screws up a good time.

Offline tamk

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:05 am »
It's slow going but I got the front caliper cleaned and painted up. I also got my piston built, its so shinny. Looks like I've gotten the rear wheel cylinder figured out now just need the time to build it. Once I've got the brakes all figured out then its on to carbs.