Author Topic: 1982 Nighthawk 750...Complete Restoration {All comments & Suggestions Welcome}  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Maustarman

Hello everyone,
I just got my first Nighthawk ever!
After hearing a lot of good things about these bikes I found what it seemed to me a great deal.
I paid $45 for a 1982 Nighthawk 750 !!!....... Well no so fast about celebrating :(

I found the bike in a marina in Berkeley CA... The bike had been seating there for the last 3 years under a cover that wasn't covering much at this point... As expected there is lots of rust and corrosion going on here and more concerning there is a ticking noise in the engine and the second gear is not engaging.
But for $45 what do you expect? 
My plan is to completely take the bike apart and Restore, Fix, Replace etc etc anything that needs to be done in order to make it functional and look nice.
That sounds like a good plan! Except for the fact that I know nothing about mechanics.... The most I ever done is changing the oil in my previous bikes ( I'm not even sure I did it correctly)

Here is a video of what the bike looks like now:  :( :( (it says I'm not allowd post external links) does any one knows how to do this?

Any comments, advice, suggestions etc are welcome.. If you think I'm crazy please feel free to say so as well.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Hi, and welcome to the forum ! I think it would help if you were able to post a video w/ sound so that we can here it...I am new to computers & still trying to post pictures myself.I hope we can see & hear it.
                                                                                Best Regards
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
I had an '83 Nighthawk. I really liked it...except for the fact that the three years I owned it it broken down every spring. :( (not a flaw with the model, just that bike's particular habit). It would be nice to see one brought back from the dead. Even at rusty-as-all-get-out, $45 is not a bad price at all. :)

Do a search in the forums for "posting pics". The same process can be used for posting videos.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"