Author Topic: Race fuel lines  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
Race fuel lines
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:11:12 pm »
What are you guys using when the rules require that the fuel lines not be rubber. I need to run one from the petcock to split to 2 carbs.

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
Re: Race fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:46:08 pm »
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:04 pm »
Thanks, that what I was figuring would be the best way to go. Same as my brake lines only bigger. Cost me about $100 to run to both carbs so it ain't cheap but then nobody ever said racing was gonna be cheap.
Actually this places prices are pretty reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:09:25 pm by Powderman »

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »
What happenrd to breakaway fuel lines? I think Barnett...had them in their clutch catalog..
Might be wrong on that, could have been quick connect brake lines for swapping calipers fast..

100 bux, i would start looking at braided lines..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:15:50 pm by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:29:48 am »
what exactly do you/regs mean by "not rubber"?

I use st gobian's tygon lines in all my racers, had never any problems at tech. is it rubber? spec calls it tecnocopolymer...

http://www.processsystems.saint-gobain.com/product_detail.aspx?id=250544

unless it HAS to be braided or a pressuirzed system, braided seems overkill to me .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:04:20 am by turboguzzi »

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
What happenrd to breakaway fuel lines? I think Barnett...had them in their clutch catalog..
Might be wrong on that, could have been quick connect brake lines for swapping calipers fast..

100 bux, i would start looking at braided lines..
If you had checked the link below you would have known we are talking PTFE Braided lines. The place linked is actually much cheaper than places I checked before and I can end up less than $50. I have to have a 90* fitting from the petcock, then a fitting on the end of that hose, then a "T" and 3 fittings there, then clamps at the carbs. It's all the fittings that kill you. I only need $15 worth of hose. I pplan on going from -6 from the tank to "T" and then -4 to the carbs to make sure I don't have a starvation issue.
ECTA rules require that the hose cannot be exposed rubber. You can use heat shield sleeve over it. I just want something a bit tidier looking. Steel braid will give me that tidy quality race look also.

Offline fang

• Hot Shot
    • Food Renegade
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:32:08 am »
Powderman, I think there was some misunderstanding.... you said "RUBBER"  Turbo said TYGON, suggesting that those unbraided Tygon lines might be an affordable and correct solution to the rules.

Either way,
Here is a link to an active forum member who is making and selling SS braided lines:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=54790.0

Best wishes,
-Steve
Download Nervous Norvus' "The Fang"  HERE.
Tired of eating CRAP!

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:54:12 am »
I like the idea of braided steel PTFE lines for cosmetic and durability, it's just that they are not cheap and a bit of overkill. I can make my own braided steel lines cheaper than buying them anywhere.
I think a tech told me about no rubber fuel lines due to melting if there was a fire. Here is what the rule book says on fuel lines:
7.B.25 All non-valve portions of fuel lines or gas lines  (including saddle tank crossover lines) shall have fire-resistant or fireproof connecting lines and fittings. Aero/quip fire sleeve cover meets these requirements.
Plastic fuel lines re not permitted, except certified clear fuel lines, clearly marked on the fuel line by the manufacturer as fuel application. A metal clamp shall be on each connection of flexible fuel line.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 01:50:30 pm »
tygon comes also in clear type (with a yellowish hue) and they are marked as certified for fuel. that is the type I use in my bikes.

but fully understand you wanting to go for braided, didn't realize initially that you drag race and maybe there there is more fire danger,

but no problem really, just trying to help. 

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »
tygon comes also in clear type (with a yellowish hue) and they are marked as certified for fuel. that is the type I use in my bikes.

but fully understand you wanting to go for braided, didn't realize initially that you drag race and maybe there there is more fire danger,

but no problem really, just trying to help. 

No drag racing, Land Speed Racing Mile and maybe the salt. Then some road racing.