Author Topic: Re-using that damaged front CB500/550 mudguard  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Oddjob

• Enthusiast
Re-using that damaged front CB500/550 mudguard
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:44:06 pm »
Just thought I'd post this as it may be of interest.
When I was restoring a 1972 CB500-4 I was struggling to find a decent front mudguard, most were pitted or dented. I could get a CB550 one but that was missing the front brace and I was trying to keep it stock.
In the end I decided that going standard wasn't a great idea, they rust, get pitted and are easily damaged. So I looked around to see what I could use, at the time I was working as a Honda/Yam/Suz mechanic for a very large main dealer so lots of bikes came on and off my bench, I kinda liked the look of the CB900F2, it had a 19" front wheel, blade was plastic so not rusting etc, however the brace didn't fit. At the time Honda had recalled a number of these due to the mudguard rivets coming loose and the recall replaced these rivets with bolts and domed nuts which TBH looked better. Whilst I was doing one of these mods I thought I'd check to see what it looked like on the 500. Looked fine so I drilled out the rivets from the chrome brace, welded another brake pipe guide on the R/H side as I was fitting twin discs and thought I might as well, had it rechromed and bolted it to the 900 blade, you lose the lower speedo cable guide but you can just bolt a guide onto the old brace bolt, quick job to make one of those out of welding wire. You have to use the old 500 brace by the way as it acts as a fork brace as well as the mudguard brace, using a fibreglass brace or a simple all fibreglass front mudguard ends up with the forks twisting, not a great idea.
I then had the blade colour coded to the tank, rear was starlight gold with just the tip of the front edge in black with the white pinstriping seperating the 2 colours. I did have an additional feature painted on but TBH the painter messed it up so I won't mention what that was but it wasn't a total mess so it's still like that now.

So if your looking for another way to cover that front tyre then you may consider this option as the price of NOS is getting a little expensive.

Offline Oddjob

• Enthusiast
Re: Re-using that damaged front CB500/550 mudguard
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:41:57 am »
I forgot to add something. It was a LONG time ago I did this mod and I'd forgotten that the 900 mudguard has to be slightly altered to fit. The guard extends down the brace so that the bolts that secure it to the fork leg not only go through the brace but also through the plastic guard, you need to cut off this extention so it resembles the shape of the old 500 guard. Very simple to do but thought I'd explain that in case you were wondering.
The 900FZ model is a straight forward looking blade, very similar in shape to the 500, the 900F2 had a wind deflector moulded onto the rear part, just behind the brace, this was to deflect air onto the oil cooler on that model, I ended up using the FZ version as that was the first one I found, as it was coming off an insurance repair I got the complete guard for nothing. If I was doing it again I'd find the F2 version just because I love the look of that little wind deflector.