Author Topic: 915 ride video  (Read 14217 times)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
Re: 915 build picture update.
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »
 :P NICE! Makes me want to build another one...

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 06:59:58 am »
I am going to run my Dyna 2000 that I currently have on my 836 build.  Not doing anything with the charging system or rotor.  Why don't you just make a new wire harness from scratch this winter?  Pretty easy to do and you can buy all new connectors pretty cheap.

Freekin sweet man! What ignition are you running on that bad boy? You doing anything wacky with the charging system or the roter? I find myself constantly concerned about power use vs the charging ability of yore. My kingdom, for a bran spankin NOS F2 harness!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 07:20:08 am »
Freekin sweet man! What ignition are you running on that bad boy? You doing anything wacky with the charging system or the roter? I find myself constantly concerned about power use vs the charging ability of yore. My kingdom, for a bran spankin NOS F2 harness!
This company has tons of 16 gauge colored primary wire...it looks like OEM. www.Brillman.com
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:21:58 am by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 08:41:46 am »
Started one a couple years back with a pair of used harnesses to guide me, but didn't have the patience to stick with it. I have a couple of the vintage connector kits from that one place (can't find it right now, but you know the one), I guess I'll have to suck it up and take another look.

ugh, electrical.
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:38 pm »
I am still up in the air on the differences between Super rods and Carillos?  Are the Carillos really worth the extra money over the super rods?  I know the Carrilos are super nice and lighter than the Super rods.  Can someone chime in on this?

I see you went with the Super-Rods, any reason other than price? I saw your question eariler & was wondering if you had gotten some advice.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2011, 05:02:45 pm »
What a beast of a motor!

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »
Really came down to price.  Carillos are the elite rods but the super rods came highly recommended to me by people I trust.  The super rods are stronger than stock but heavier than Carillos.  In me "street engine" I decided to go with Super rods because the price was right and I didn't want to cut any corners in other places (head, crank, primary chains, carbs, fasteners, rockers, trans)

Hope that helps some.
I am still up in the air on the differences between Super rods and Carillos?  Are the Carillos really worth the extra money over the super rods?  I know the Carrilos are super nice and lighter than the Super rods.  Can someone chime in on this?

I see you went with the Super-Rods, any reason other than price? I saw your question eariler & was wondering if you had gotten some advice.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:18 pm »
Some minor updates.  I lifting in the 915 and was able to get the cam degreed with the help of a friend and a second set of eyes.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:37:24 pm by tweakin »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 12:58:24 pm »
It looks great man, you're doing a fine job.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
Re: 915 build
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »
Thanks bwaller,  I appreciate you taking the time to chime in.  I just hope it runs as well as it looks.

It looks great man, you're doing a fine job.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 06:04:15 pm »
Tonight I was able to mount the RS34's with the help of my dad, some small pieces of 2X4 and two straps.  What a pain in the arse, but I think it will be worth it. ;D

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
Tonight I was able to mount the RS34's with the help of my dad, some small pieces of 2X4 and two straps.  What a pain in the arse, but I think it will be worth it. ;D

Looking really good mate and it should do some low flying after what you've done to it.  ;)
The carb fitting certainly bought out some bad language.
I ended up loosening the cross bar for some more give and then persevered and muscled them on but it was no picnic.
Hope to hear about it firing up soon.
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 09:17:52 pm »
They are not easy to mount that is for sure.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2011, 06:06:08 am »
Thanks Mick, any of you guys have any initial set up tips for these carbs?

Looking really good mate and it should do some low flying after what you've done to it.  ;)
I ended up loosening the cross bar for some more give and then persevered and muscled them on but it was no picnic.
Mick

Some times good things dont come easy.  Thanks for all your help Mike.

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2011, 08:23:13 am »
Very nice, Tige.  You'll have to get her up here on the dyno.  If I had to guess, you should best my mark by 7-8hp.
Take care,
David

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:18 am »

Mick
Exactly what I did Mick. The boots will expand after a while...the second, third and fourth time should be a breeze. ::) ;) ;D

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2011, 11:10:10 am »

Newbe question from the back row, what makes them difficult to mount? Are they heavy? Is it the way they are connected to each other? Throat size? Is frame clearance an issue?
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:17 pm »
Since the carbs are not really made for the SOHC 750 the rack (carb spacing) is not 100% on.  Also, where the rubbers mount to the carbs is a very tight fit.  The carbs are not heavier and there are no clearance issues.

Newbe question from the back row, what makes them difficult to mount? Are they heavy? Is it the way they are connected to each other? Throat size? Is frame clearance an issue?

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »

Mick

The only info that I could find from Mikuni was this PDF Tuning Manual for the HS40 which apparently can be applied to the RS34's.
I haven't been able to find where Mikuni released any specific data sheets for the RS34's but it all seems to channel back to this and I also remember reading somewhere about using the HS40 manual on a Kawa/Suzuki forum or some similar forum.
(About half way down for HS40) http://www.mikunipower.com/Manuals01.htm
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2011, 05:37:16 am »
Thanks Mick. 

Mick

The only info that I could find from Mikuni was this PDF Tuning Manual for the HS40 which apparently can be applied to the RS34's.
I haven't been able to find where Mikuni released any specific data sheets for the RS34's but it all seems to channel back to this and I also remember reading somewhere about using the HS40 manual on a Kawa/Suzuki forum or some similar forum.
(About half way down for HS40) http://www.mikunipower.com/Manuals01.htm

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:05 am »
I also found this. I am currently looking for a remote idle adjuster also.  Any one have any luck sourcing one?

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hs40_manual.pdf

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2011, 03:26:51 pm »
I also posted this on my build thread but wanted to share here for those who stay here.  I think I got everything ironed out with the carbs.  They really just needed a proper bench synch and then turn the air pilots out 1/2 turn.  I am currently running the dyna2000 at 35 degrees total advance.  Is this ok or do any of the gurus have any sugestions? 

They are still not completely tuned but all 4 are firing.

cb750 with 915 kit

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »
Nice and responsive mate, very nice....  Doesn't sound like you have much more "tweaking" to do there, that idled well and nice response straight off idle.... The Mikuni's don't seem to make the sucky sound the Keihins make with pods....  It would be great if Tintop could make a filter to fit these too.... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2011, 05:16:21 pm »
You don't need that much advance. Our best dyno runs came at 30 degrees.
Take care,
David

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: 915 build video
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2011, 09:38:52 pm »
Nice