Author Topic: Do it youself Valve guides  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Leanier

• Enthusiast
Do it youself Valve guides
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:05 am »
Well, I have done some research and have decided that it is possible to do you valve guides mostly yourself..  From what I've gathered this is the process:

• Bead blast to remove carbon (any home-type way to do this?)
  • Heat the head up to 350 F (I think) and drive out the old guides.  (754 I think suggested cutting the heads or something? any more info on that?)
  • Heat head again drive in the new guides
  • What are the chances dynoman "Pre honed" guides will just work with no further work?
  • Then cut the valve seats (I plan on having a shop do this)
I know this might not be smart, but I just plain cant afford to pay a shop to do it, and my bike burns tons of oil.
Any more comments on improvements to my process?  (I probably left some steps out.)
Feel free to tell me this will never work, maybe I'll listen and try to save for a shop to do it.

I am specifically working on a 73 CB750

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:36:24 pm by Leanier »
My motorcycle collection thus far:
'74 CB360
'73 CB750
'72 CB125s
'68 CA160

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
Re: Do it youself Valve guides
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:25 am »
Its a virtual certainty that you'll also have to have the new guides reamed after you've pounded them in.  That was my experience.  It might not add that much to the total bill if this is done at the same time as new seats are cut.

Heeeyyyyy, Mad-City.  Love my hometown.
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Leanier

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:34 am »
Yea I'll have to look up how much that would cost..

Also, can anyone provide me with the measurements I'd need to  make a driver for myself to drive them in an out.
'74 CB360
'73 CB750
'72 CB125s
'68 CA160

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:30:05 am »
A driver can be a bolt with some nuts on it of small enough diameter to follow the guide thru its hole in the head. Get real crazy and use a larger nut, then grind off the hex points, make it round, to follow the guide. It'll have a little more meat on it.

Whoever cuts your seats can ream the guides. May or not be cheaper than buying a ream.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:57 pm »
Think I still have the driver I used.  I'll try to take a pic and get some specs for you.

Offline Leanier

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »
That'd be great.

Anyone know what it should cost just to get the valve seats cut?  My local shop quoted me $178 for 8 seats.  Seems way to much to me..  Since it's only like 200 for the full guide install.
'74 CB360
'73 CB750
'72 CB125s
'68 CA160

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:23:54 pm »
I'll bet I snagged this pdf from some older thread, but here it is.  Not sure if its the 750 you're working on, but if so, here's specs to make a drift of some sort.  Ignore the carbon steel part, mine was made of brass, worked just fine.

Offline Leanier

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »
Thanks for that! That's exactly what I was looking for.  And yes its a 73 750, always forget to mention that.

Starting to look into just getting a used head and hoping for the best, as local shops are all quoting me around $200 to cut the seats, then another $100+ to ream them/fit the valves.
'74 CB360
'73 CB750
'72 CB125s
'68 CA160

Offline Leanier

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:19 pm »
Anyone have any other advice if I try this  myself?  currently trying to find a shop to cut the seats for less than $200..
'74 CB360
'73 CB750
'72 CB125s
'68 CA160

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:15:56 pm »
In no particular order:

-I didn't heat the head up to remove the old guides, but did freeze the new ones.  Not sure if it helped. 

-Obviously, you'll need to lap the valves, test for leaks.  You probably knew this already.

-Try to clean the exposed tips of the guides as much as possible, so when you pound them out, debris doesn't gouge the head.

-There are two tiny parts called oil orifice controls or some such, located on either side of the head, in the oil galley.  They literally help control how much or little oil flows up to the cams, etc.  They are easily lost when you start pounding and wailing on the guides.  Do not lose them.  Like my friend *cough* did. 

That's all I can think of right now.