Author Topic: CB400F Kickstart Lever Broke - Replacement?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline BenFrank

CB400F Kickstart Lever Broke - Replacement?
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »
So my electric starters never worked...

To add insult to injury my kickstart lever broke tonight while trying to start my bike cold after sitting for a few days.

Tomorrow's the bike biker bash here in town, looks like I won't be making it.

Are these parts hard to come by? Ebay turned up nothing.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB400F Kickstart Lever Broke - Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:07:23 pm »
Not familiar with the 400 kicker. If the stop wore off build it up with weld.. meanwhile bumpstart it and go on your ride..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »
Is the lever loose on the shaft or is the splined shaft broken?  Or is the lever knuckle broken?  You may need the lever and shaft.  Right now there are a couple splined shafts for sale on Ebay.  I just sold a shaft and lever to a member so there are parts. There is a good chance that other levers will work but will have a different shape than stock.  I think a 350 lever will work in a pinch...Larry

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:30 pm »
The pic shows the split centre part and the pedal arm shifted out so it can turn the odd angle it's sitting at. You need a replacement lever assembly. I haven't seen another bike with quite the same lever, it has a 377 model code so nothing older is the same. Post a request in the "parts wanted" board and watch ebay...
You could try forcing the split part back together and welding it of course.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:06:19 am »
Ben,

From your photo it just looks like your ball bearing and spring has popped out, causing your arm to just flop about. You can replace those quite easily. I have recently had to do the same thing. I have the measurements for the ball bearing and spring, just not with me. Let me know if you need them.

If, as Larry has asked, you've had something structural fail, then you'll need to replace it. However hold onto the washer and circlip, you will not find replacements for those. I have looked.

Rick.