Author Topic: CB550 Axle won't go together...could really use a hand..pics inside...  (Read 2170 times)

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
I would really appreciate any help I can get on this.  I just replaced my wheel bearings on my '75 CB550 and now I'm reassembling, but the axle nut will NOT fit the correct way.  I've taken apart and reassembled a dozen times, each time more slowly and carefully.  I'm wondering if I have the wrong parts.  When it was together before, the axle nut was facing the wrong way.  I may owe a mechanic an apology.

Axle Rod: 7 1/2"
Axle Nut: 1 1/2"
Axle Spacer: 5/8"

This picture basically sums it up.  The black line is where the threads start inside the axle nut.  I just barely cannot get the threads together to start threading it.

So I thought that I probably didn't have the speedo assembly together correctly.  I lined up the little tabs with the notches very carefully.  It looks like it could be closer together, but the difference looks pretty obvious if I spin it a little, there's a large gap.

Here are the pieces I have:

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
the speedo drive must have both the tabs deeper inside lined up aswell as the ones on the chrome cover.

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
the speedo drive must have both the tabs deeper inside lined up aswell as the ones on the chrome cover.

Right on....I went and checked that again and it looks lined up to me.  I took extra care with the ones on the inside of the assembly.  Should it pop into place or something?  I just lined mine up and set them together.

Thanks for the response.
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
if the new bearings are fully seated and its the correct axle it should be all good,,it was together when you got it?

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
if the new bearings are fully seated and its the correct axle it should be all good,,it was together when you got it?

Ya, it was together when I got it, but I think the axle nut might have been on backwards, because it fits that way. 

As far as the bearings being seated....the one on the rotor side is flush with the surface, and the one on the retainer side - the retainer is flush with that surface.  Is that right?

thx
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
if the nut was backwards maybe you have the wrong axle?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
if the speedo drive is engaged correctly as you rotate the whole speedo drive the little drive tang for the cable should be seen to rotate,turning the drive should locate it if its not already,ill try and measure an axle,unless someone already has one apart and can chime in?

Offline vrenlos

I won't have my bike back until at least monday - I was going to offer to measure the axle if someone doesn't do it first.
1975 CB550K1
2009 Ducati Monster 696

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
Ya the little tab spins when I rotate it.  Thanks...if anyone can measure id really appreciate it.
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline DarcyCB400F

• Hot Shot
The way you are holding the axle nut in the original post is the correct alignment for sure! The only reasonable explanation is that your speedo drive is not fully engaged making the axle appear to be too short.
I had a similar but different issue with my 400F recently.  :-[
The spacer you show is correctly placed too.
I have studied your pics and subsequent posts and keep coming back to the speedo...
1977 CJ360T
1977 CB400F
1980 CB900 Custom
1981 GS550L
1989 DR200R
1998 VT1100C2 ACE
1999 XR400R
2006 CR230F
2007 HD Road King

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
my axle is eight and a half man!!you got maybe a 350 or 400 axle or something maybe?

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
Ha!  Alright...thanks for the info that's a huge help.   Ima see if maybe I can use the one from my '74 750 since I know how long its supposed to be now.   What year is your 550?  Thanks for measuring seriously.
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
the 500 and 550 have the same axles,i have in a box of stuff im sure is a 350 axle,and its seven and three quarter,this will explain your back to front nut,,dont ride it untill you get the correct axle,someone else might might confirm my measurment?

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
Hey, thanks for the help everybody.  Fortunately I have a 750 that I was able to pull the axle from. 

Turns out that was the problem.  The axle from the 750 fit perfectly, and I have the front together with new wheel bearings and fork seals and the correct parts for the first time since I bought the bike.
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
yee haa,,beer time,,ive already started!buuuuuuuuuuurrrrrppp.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:33:45 am by dave500 »

Offline c(b)hris

• Enthusiast
yee haa,,beer time,,ive already started!buuuuuuuuuuurrrrrppp.

more like sleep time - it's 5am in Pittsburgh
75 CB550
74 CB750

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
WHAT? i get up at five AM!

Offline vrenlos

Nice work! Here's to having spare parts around....
1975 CB550K1
2009 Ducati Monster 696