Author Topic: 1976 CB550K Rebuild NYC- NEW VIDEO FOOTAGE  (Read 29716 times)

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
Re: 1976 CB550K Rebuild- Indoor Living, NYC
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »
Hey DKB. I just ran across your postings the bike looks fantastic. I'm the guy that lives on your block on 3rd street with the ratty CB400f that I'm lucky enough to park in my backyard. Funny -- as we've discussed before, your 550 used to belong to my friend Eddie on 2nd street. I used to live on 1st between 1st and 2nd and he and I and spent lots of time working on our bikes on the street. I had a 76 750F at the time. Glad to see Eddie's bike living a new life with you. Our block is pretty easygoing if you park on the sidewalk with a cover. Will you have any trouble getting it out of the bulding once it's complete? Let me know what you've found in terms of a garage to do some work and maybe I can join in. I can do some work in my backyard but often get the stink-eye from my fellow coop owners when I do. And let's do some riding this spring!

Small world.  Very cool running into you on here.

Think I've still got Eddie's email around and was gonna send him some pics once I finished up the rebuild. I figured he'd get a kick out of seeing his old ride redone. If you see him around tell him I said hello and thanks again for passing on what turned out to be my favorite bike I've owned. It's gonna be quite nice once finished. Really looking forward to getting it back on the road soon.

Do you have yours stored in back while the weather is all crap?

I always pass your 400f parked and covered up the block. It's cool that your co-op doesn't mind it being out front on the sidewalk. I tried parking in front of my apt off the bat when I picked the bike up from Eddie but building management pitched a fit on a daily basis. Tried across the street in front of my friend Haroon's building and his super threatened to call 311 if we keep parking there. No love for old machines down on this end of 3rd Street.

I'm hoping to have a garage space sorted before bringing my bike back down. I'll let you know what I find as I know 3 other guys with old Hondas that are also interested in going in on something. And I'd be up for heading out for a ride as soon as the bikes up and running and the weather is above the freezing point.

I have to remove the front wheel to fit the bike in the elevator. It's not easy getting it in or out but it's doable with a few people on hand. I just realized I'm going to be cutting it really close with the bars and exhaust installed and am hoping I don't have to disassemble to much to get it back outside. We'll see how it goes...

About painting- my friend Gareth has a shop and paint booth up in East Harlem and I'm going to contact him to see about spraying the tank, seat, and side covers up there. I'll find out how much it would be to have your tank and side covers done. I might be interested in splitting the cost of the metallic silver with you as I've got an extra tank I was looking to finish as well and was considering some sort of metallic.

Talk to ya soon.

I love how many NYC'ers there are in this thread...killer bike too. I'm about to strip a 750 tank down to bare metal for my bike.

I'm in Williamsburg off the Bedford L stop. I would love to get to know more Honda guys around town. I rent a garage out in Queens, but I'm looking for a closer space to share... I've been asking around my area, but haven't managed to make anything work yet.

Cheers

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Re: 1976 CB550K Rebuild NYC- NEW VIDEO FOOTAGE
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:13 am »
hows the bike treating you?
saw your post in the general section.

you were in the booth at the javits?

love to see a nice bike on lesters above street level.....lol

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: 1976 CB550K Rebuild- Indoor Living, NYC
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2011, 05:41:33 pm »
Hey David -- the bike is looking awesome. Send me a message if you need any help dragging it out of the house this weekend -- I'll be around.

I can also show you the fairing that might interest you and check out the finned points cover you have for the 350f That weird master cylinder I have on the 350f is working great so I think I'm gonna stick with it. Gotta go to California for work next week, but then let's get out on a ride to the hills soon. The 400f is screaming perfectly after sitting all winter -- it's been nice around town but it's time to get out of the city and into the hills.

Thanks! I may bug you for some help lifting the bike from the lobby up the 2 steps to the street. Cool to hear that MC is working. I actually really dug the design and cut out over the bar. Works well on the 350. That's gonna be a great little city bike when yer done tuning her up.

I've got that finned points cover and steel brake line set aside and can run that by this week if you are around. Would like to check out the fairing too.

I saw your 400f parked outside the past couple of days as was a bit jealous. I've got two bikes both a week away from being road ready and this good weather is killing me.

You gotta stop by and check out the new garage space sometime. Super cool set up. I was over there working on the 450 all weekend. I've got all my tools moved over and shelving set up for parts storage. Everything's ready to bring the 550 over this week. Stoked to not have to deal with street parking pinball anymore.
Perhaps you fellas would like to join us on the World Rally. We have two NYC riders and we will be going up to Woodstock.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »
i would love to
BUT
both my 4s are apart and im stuck in school upstate.
how far north you guys coming?

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »
i would love to
BUT
We have giys from the Island, Brooklyn and we will be going up to Woodstock NY

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2011, 08:56:23 am »
i would love to
BUT

I'd be up for the NY section heading to Woodstock. Is the date confirmed for this section of the ride?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:17:39 am by DKB »

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2011, 09:17:07 am »
hows the bike treating you?
saw your post in the general section.

you were in the booth at the javits?

love to see a nice bike on lesters above street level.....lol

I didn't make it to the show this year. Was planning to go but work got in the way:)

The bikes been treating me great. I can't seem to let well enough alone and keep making minor changes but she's running like a champ and road ready. I found a good battery alternative that I've been running successfully in my other bikes and put a small A123 in the 550 and cleaned up the electronics under the seat.

Looking forward to this spring and racking up some more miles on the 550 :)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2011, 09:22:47 am »
i would love to
BUT

I'd be up for the NY section heading to Woodstock. Is the date confirmed for this section of the ride?

Thanksman we need more NYC representation. There is no firm date as IT is wandering toward the West Coast and then will wander to the East Coast. I am thinking June.

Offline DKB

• E3
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2011, 09:28:44 am »
i would love to
BUT

Thanksman we need more NYC representation. There is no firm date as IT is wandering toward the West Coast and then will wander to the East Coast. I am thinking June.

Count me in! I'll be around June/July and was already planning some out of town trips. This lines up great. I'll tune in and see how the schedule progresses and get in touch once things solidify.

If anyone leaving from/passing through NYC during the tour needs a place to wrench or tune up- I've got my new garage set up out in Williamsburg and am happy to host.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:38 am »
This is my first time seeing this build... NICE WORK!
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:33 am »
Guys,

Keep us up to date on when that ride is happening - I would love to be in.  Going in for a hip replacement next month, but should be able to be riding again by late June.

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2011, 12:23:22 pm »
Going in for a hip replacement next month, but should be able to be riding again by late June.
THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!  ;D
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2011, 02:29:08 pm »
Guys,

Keep us up to date on when that ride is happening - I would love to be in.  Going in for a hip replacement next month, but should be able to be riding again by late June.

Gersh
Gersh, Start here at the World Tour site to get up to speed on what is happening generally. then go into Team Mid Atlantic for local updates and route planning.

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2011, 04:55:51 pm »
My bike is in pieces right now for painting and polishing, but it should be done by the time the ride comes. Fingers crossed.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2011, 05:24:38 pm »
Guys,

Gersh
Gersh, my 90 year old Dad had one last summer, he was up and around in a few weeks. Good luck Bro.

Vames, we should be OK till June at least, it will wander around the West for a while.

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »
If anyone leaving from/passing through NYC during the tour needs a place to wrench or tune up- I've got my new garage set up out in Williamsburg and am happy to host.

That would be great if we could do a quick once over before heading out.  Seems like there are a few of us in the B'burg area. 
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline luceja

• Enthusiast
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2011, 02:14:18 pm »
'75 cb400f, '77 cb550f , CB160 road racer, '88 Hawk GT track bike, FZR400 race bike, and a bunch of old hondas in boxes.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:08 pm »
Very nice!!! Well done!

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  |