Author Topic: Oil Coming from Cyl Head  (Read 676 times)

Offline Heirborn

Oil Coming from Cyl Head
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:47:44 pm »
The bike is a 1970 K0. Rode the bike last weekend about 25 miles on the highway. Bike runs great, no problems. When I got to where I was going, got off the bike and the engine was a mess with oil and the right side cover was a mess too. How my leg was not soaked not sure, other than is was not in the direct line of oil coming off the engine. I cleaned it up and rode it around town with no problems. Headed home that Sunday and kept an eye on it. About a 1/3 of the way into the trip I noticed drops of oil forming on the rear of the fins, right side. By the time I got home it was a mess again. I have not been able to determine exactly where it is coming from.I  Rode the bike here locally yesterday and did not have any problems. Very short trip and not at highway speeds. Any ideas where it might be coming from? I suppose pulling the motor is in order?
'70 CB750-Open Pipes and Pod Filters
'72 CL70
'07 Bonneville

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Oil Coming from Cyl Head
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:08:52 pm »
Well don't pull the motor till you isolate the leak. Places to start looking is the head and base and valve gasket obviously. Also look where the tach cables enters the valve cover. Make sure the breather hose is hooked up in the top back of motor.Clean the motor well and keep an eye on it. Some guys have isolated leaks by putting talcum powder or such on the engine to locate the leak.Does it seem to happen worse at high load rpm highway speeds etc.  ?

Offline rklystron

• I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »
Right side cover. You mean the cover that covers the oil tank? If so you should check your oil level. When you do this put the bike on the center stand. Warm the bike up to operating temp and check the dip stick. There is a good possibility you have to much oil in the bike. Also check your breather tubes to make sure they are not clogged or crimped. You have 3 to check. Top of the engine on the valve cover, the breather on the bottom of the engine next to the swing arm and the breather coming off the oil tank. If they are not the problem you may have an issue with the oil pump. Can you check the oil pressure coming off the oil gallery? The pressure at start-up should be around 60psi.
1970 CB750 K0 (Bought in 73)
1972 XL250 (Bought new in 72)
1973 ST90 (Free)
1975 XL250 (Free)
1975 Rickman CR750
1982 CBX1000 Pro-link
1975 CB750 DRAG BIKE
1977 Custom Built CB750 Sturgis Bike (GL front end).
1977 CB750 F2 (Big Resto)
1977 CB750A (Auction Buy)
1978 CB750 K8 (My San Francisco ride)
1984 VFR750 (Bought New)

Offline Heirborn

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »
So, the best I can tell oil is seeping from the head gasket right under the exhaust flange on number 4.

I'm afraid that if I try to tighten the head bolt at the number 4 spark plug well, to see if that will help, the bolt will snap. Safe assumption? 

I found a thread that spoke of the seeping/weaping gasket and that it's pretty common.  A "simple" fix is to take some cotton rod and stuff between the fins to soak it up and replace as needed. I have a ride coming up and not quite ready to pull the motor.

'70 CB750-Open Pipes and Pod Filters
'72 CL70
'07 Bonneville

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »
Some guys will stuff some 1/4 inch nylon rope between the fins which works good too.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline mongadillo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »
I just finished a Cylinder Head gasket replacement on a 78 CB750F2.  You can't tighten the head bolts without pulling the engine, they are located under the top tubes of the frame and you wont even be able to take the head cover off with the engine in the frame (sorry). 

If you decide to do the job I recommend Mike Nixon's Book on replacing the Cb750 Head Gasket, it's really a very helpful guide when used in conjunction with the Service manual. 

The Engine and Transmission come out as a unit, its a lot of work, but in the process you can get the heads serviced, new valve guides, seals, etc. 

Good Luck. 

PS - The Cylinder Head studs WILL snap if you over torque them, I snapped one, do not exceed 14ft/lb. Get a reliable torque wrench, preferably 3/8" drive.