Author Topic: Ultra-valuable sandcast part.........  (Read 1316 times)

Offline zoo mob

• Hot Shot
Ultra-valuable sandcast part.........
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:38:36 pm »
or just a variation on a common part? I was about to switch out the LH control on my 1970 750K0 and noticed my replacement part was different. Is this switch from an early 750? Something else? Any significant value? What's up with the difference in color?

Andrew
 1970 750 K0
 1980 BMW R100T
 1980 GS1100E
 1993 XR650L
Always looking for more

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
  • "Don't plan vast projects with half-vast ideas"
Re: Ultra-valuable sandcast part.........
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:18:58 pm »
I assume the "new" one is the one on the bottom that doesn't have a broken mirror hole?  I don't see anything special.  I've never seen any of the switches actually have the word turn on them, so I'd actually be more interested in your old part.
"Whatever it is, I swear I didn't do it!"

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:19:18 pm »
The difference in color is due to fading.  The switch housings, along with other parts like the brake master cylinder, were anodized black. 

Offline zoo mob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
Hmmm.. guess I'll just swap it on and keep the other one. I assumed they all had the "turn" on them.
Andrew
 1970 750 K0
 1980 BMW R100T
 1980 GS1100E
 1993 XR650L
Always looking for more

Offline Staz

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:06:52 pm »
I assume the "new" one is the one on the bottom that doesn't have a broken mirror hole?  I don't see anything special.  I've never seen any of the switches actually have the word turn on them, so I'd actually be more interested in your old part.

I'm pretty sure my 350f switch says turn on it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only differance I see besides color is on the right side of the switch and the word turn. Its probably just a common variation in my opinion.

Offline aussie cb750 k1

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:58:09 am »
What you've got is a new version in black with an original older version of the Sandcast/K0 on the bottom(the one with the broken mirror hole.The second one (underneath)is a faded version of a L/H switch block which started life not being painted black but was light purplish color.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:05 am »
The one on the bottom is correct except for color for the K0. The switch with "Turn" on it is a later model. The silver switch could be original color if actually from an early CB/CL 450 or such. As stated previously, proper color for K0 is anodized black. There is a thread is this forum for restoring the anodized color.

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »
I used the top of a silver one (bottom) that was off of a 350 twin. Both top and bottom of the replacement were silver.

I also found some paint that was industrial quality that almost matches the lavender- grey of the original, may use it at some point. There was a bunch of it around, dented can sale. Might need to be tinted just a but darker, but it works as a touch up for the faded part.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/