Author Topic: CB750- Head Gasket Prep-trolling for suggestions  (Read 3358 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
CB750- Head Gasket Prep-trolling for suggestions
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
Working as we are, a little bit each week, its sometimes hard to anticipate the problem of the week. We're near putting the head on. So I retrieve the head cheeze (gasket) from its cardboard sleeve where it has resided nearly undisturbed for nigh on 12 years. It is a Klingerit brand, furnished by the machinist that got my Arias pistons and did my boring etc. (Ron Scrimsa: Racing Engine Service: Texas)

Klingerit was a manufacturer/material that was highly rated at the time for flexibility and compliance for head gaskets. By now mine is very dried out. Over the years, I've heard gaskets should go on dry, light gasgacinch, light oiling, or a combo.

I have lightly coated the gasket on both sides with motoroil, rubbed it in with my fingers and blotted off with papertowel, am currently pressing between two cardboards with weight. The gasket soaked it up quickly.

So the deed is done, but what would you have done? Installed it dry. Used Gasgacinch, etc.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: CB750- Head Gasket Prep-trolling for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
Hmmm...that's a gasket maker I don't know about.  ???
Most of the head gaskets I've used (if not copper) on these bikes were originally an asbestos sandwich with wire lattice (like screen) and a waxy sealing (thin) film on both sides. Along the way, the asbestos disappeared and became [whatever it is today] material, still with the wire lattice and sealing films. The gaskets I am familiar with (for these bikes) don't absorb oil readily, so soaking them wouldn't do much.

Can you show a picture of this one? It sounds special...  ::)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:15:08 pm »
Hmmm...that's a gasket maker I don't know about.  ???
Most of the head gaskets I've used (if not copper) on these bikes were originally an asbestos sandwich with wire lattice (like screen) and a waxy sealing (thin) film on both sides. Along the way, the asbestos disappeared and became [whatever it is today] material, still with the wire lattice and sealing films. The gaskets I am familiar with (for these bikes) don't absorb oil readily, so soaking them wouldn't do much.

Can you show a picture of this one? It sounds special...  ::)
Thanks. In a Google search I've come up with this as the best reference so far.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/343061550/Klingerit_1000_asbestos_gasket_sheet.html
My gasket has this same "Klingerit 1000" graphic. Of course it is cut for the holes and the combustion rings are silver (steel?) in color. So the question morphs into, does this type of material have a shelf life? Should I be looking to replace this with a fresh gasket age wise?

I'll get a picture.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:05 pm »
Wow, graphite-impregnated asbestos! That's a heck of a strong gasket. I don't see any special need for "re-wetting" it (or whatever the process might be dubbed?), as the asbestos won't really absorb anythng (and graphite certainly won't, either). I suppose all that the oil would do later is squish out from the head torque on it?

That sounds like the gaskets from the old 427ci SOHC Ford engines with the 12:1 piston kits (850 HP on the street, circa 1966). They were different from the regular FE gaskets, felt almost flimsy in the fingers, like a fabric. But they could hold in all the compression and the 8500+ RPM those big V-8 engines could (still can) do. Tough stuff!

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:42 pm »
Wow, graphite-impregnated asbestos! That's a heck of a strong gasket. I don't see any special need for "re-wetting" it (or whatever the process might be dubbed?), as the asbestos won't really absorb anythng (and graphite certainly won't, either). I suppose all that the oil would do later is squish out from the head torque on it?

That sounds like the gaskets from the old 427ci SOHC Ford engines with the 12:1 piston kits (850 HP on the street, circa 1966). They were different from the regular FE gaskets, felt almost flimsy in the fingers, like a fabric. But they could hold in all the compression and the 8500+ RPM those big V-8 engines could (still can) do. Tough stuff!
Like I said, it was pitched to me as being the top of the line stuff at the time. I just put the thinnest of surface coat of oil. Teenie tiny drops rubbed in by my fingerstips. No soaking or the like.

So... think its safe to use even though its 12 years old? Not holding you to it, who can know for sure?
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:50:01 pm »

Like I said, it was pitched to me as being the top of the line stuff at the time. I just put the thinnest of surface coat of oil. Teenie tiny drops rubbed in by my fingerstips. No soaking or the like.

So... think its safe to use even though its 12 years old? Not holding you to it, who can know for sure?

Well, actually, I can't think of any reason that sort of gasket could "dry out" or something like that. I remember how the old wax-paper gaskets used to dry out (circa 1950-60), but those have been gone for more years than I think I'd like to remember...

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 05:44:14 am »
Thanks, I'm going to use it. My risk. I t does have a waxy feel to the surface. Can't really say it "soaked up" the light oiling. It just darkened the surface color.  Now that I know what its made of, asbestos and wire, I'm more comfortable.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:04 am »
As I am back from my hols i will throw in my 2 penorth.

When i was in the merchant navy (UK) Klingerite was a well known brand and we kept it in sheets of different thicknesses and types. Usd correctly it will hold 750PSI superheated steam at a pipe flange joint
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:17 pm »
Thanks for that Bryan. Here's the pics HM asked for. Klingerit 1000 graphic on the material.

Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:02:04 pm »
Wow, that even LOOKS like an expensive gasket!