Author Topic: Braided oil lines  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Seamus

Braided oil lines
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:21 am »
The oil lines on my K1 are starting to fray and the spoil the bike.
Anyone had braided lines fitted to the Honda ends?
How do they look?
Thanks

Seamus

Offline Kframe

• Hot Shot
  • Life is good!
Re: Braided oil lines
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:32:43 pm »
Check out this thread about stainless braided line.

-K
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, ARK'd, Pods, TOR's, Napoleon's, Innovate G5 Air/Fuel Gauge, Ignition Relocation by D9, Stebel Nautilus, Avon Roadriders
1984 Honda Shadow VT700c, Stock
1974 Honda CB550K, In rehab
1986 Honda Helix

Offline Seamus

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:59:57 pm »
Thanks K,
Unfortunately, I do not need brake lines. I am looking at the two oil pipes from the tank to the engine.
Cheers
Seamus

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:58:08 pm »
Seamus, years back i had a hydraulic firm crim new hoses in, they didnt like doing it cos the ends are none standard and gave the usual dont blame us if it dont work guarantee but years later it was still OK
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Kframe

• Hot Shot
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:10:02 pm »
Thanks K,
Unfortunately, I do not need brake lines. I am looking at the two oil pipes from the tank to the engine.
Cheers
Seamus

Ah, I see!  Well, good luck anyway!
 :)
-K
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, ARK'd, Pods, TOR's, Napoleon's, Innovate G5 Air/Fuel Gauge, Ignition Relocation by D9, Stebel Nautilus, Avon Roadriders
1984 Honda Shadow VT700c, Stock
1974 Honda CB550K, In rehab
1986 Honda Helix

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:45:45 pm »

This may not be a kosher thing to do and I hate walking a thin line to help someone, but... The only company if know of in the world who makes crimped SS oil hoses using original fittings and near-original ferrules is Classic Cycle City, and that's all I'm gonna say on the matter. If you want to know more about them, please ask someone else on the board.    ::)

Carpy has SS oil hoses available. You can also attempt make your own through a local hydraulic hose company.

If anyone else has a source, please let us all know. Thanks.   8)  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline kenolds

• Before the Dismantle
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:58:50 pm »
I'm having a local guy do a few sets for me right now.  I'll post pics when I get them back - supposed to be maybe a few weeks from now.  He is planning to use more of a cloth braid like the original, only black.  The ferrules will be "clear zinc" coated steel.
I don't have a quote back yet.  The Honda fittings I sent him are pretty rough.  The PO did a real hack job in removing the original ferrules and lines.  Oh well, I don't think it will be noticable as long as they still seal.

Kenolds
Parts, Parts, Everywhere - But Not A Bike To Ride.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:20:37 am »
You don't need them crimping - I ground off the original pipes and put some lovely earls hose on with chrome ends. It fits very very nice and tight with no leaks...as per pic below.
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:32 am »
and with the picture!
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Seamus

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:03 am »
They look very nice. Where did you get them done?

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:33:40 pm »
They look very nice. Where did you get them done?
I did them myself - so easy it's laughable. First grind off the swaging on the stock ones with a dremel and free up the end connectors. I polished mine while they were off. Then, ring up those nice folks at Earls and order two lengths of oil line and four chrome (my choice, there are other finishes) end caps. Push end caps over the pre-cut hose, push hose onto connectors, tighten end caps with a screwdriver and bob's your father's brother!

Mine are longer lines to run to the oil cooler but I've done the same trick for a stock CB750 pair of lines. If it'd be useful I'll post the lengths and part numbers tonight when I can dig through my box of receipts...you can do the whole lot on a stock motor for about £35 I think - much cheaper than the guy flogging pre-made lines on ebay!
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Seamus

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:12 am »
That would be really useful. I look forward to your info.

Many thanks

Seamus

Offline last_cb750

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:31:48 pm »
I realize this is an old thread but thought I could put in a few cents since I am at this point now and researching. You do not need to use crimp clamps. screw clamps are sufficient. If you really want crimped clamps, in usa go to a napa auto parts store.  They can do it right at the counter for a buck or two per clamp plus the cost of hose. Its the same as auto ac hose. Some shops that specialize in auto ac can repair lines as well but might charge a bit more. If you look closely at the fancy clamps on cyclex website you can see. that they have the screw clamps inside.
78 CB750K
75 CB750K (sold)