Author Topic: Need Oregon Title & Registration advice  (Read 639 times)

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
Need Oregon Title & Registration advice
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »
Sooo, Let's say hypothetically, I bought a basket case bike here in California from a guy who had it in boxes in his garage since the beginning of time. I assembled the bike and I love it. It did not come with any paperwork of any kind. All I have is the VIN # on the neck and a yellow Oregon license plate with 1977 tags. I know the procedure for titling a bike like this in CA, and I'm wondering if it's any easier or different in Oregon. I have friends in OR, so I have an address there. Any pointers from Oregon folks would be much appreciated.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
Re: Need Oregon Title & Registration advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »
If the VIN is correct for that plate, take it, with a bill of sale to the DMV, DMV will give you the last known address of the last registered owner (although the records may have been purged), you send a registered letter to the address enclosing a lost title application, if the LRO is still there, they are supposed to have the title app filled in and notarized, then mail it back to you ..OR.. you receive the undelivered registered letter in return, take either back to DMV and they issue a new title. Easy, no back fees. Title transfer is $70 last time I did one (January) and it has to be done within 30 days of the bill of sale date or late fees start to apply.
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »
Actually, you don't need the plate, but the old plates are cool. If it's been purged, they will give you the option of keeping that one or issuing a new one. You could just toss the plate, all you really need is the VIN and a bill of sale.
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:34:50 am »
In Oregon, does the DMV require proof of insurance before you can transfer title or register a motorcycle?

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:26 pm »
You have to be willing to show them an insurance card if that's what you mean..I showed them the card for my truck and told them I was getting a policy, and they did it. I did get the policy.....later......and my truck policy was, and is, current.
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)