Author Topic: Master cylinder with built in switch - what is this?  (Read 678 times)

Offline zabzob

• Enthusiast
Master cylinder with built in switch - what is this?
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »
Hi all,

I'm resurrecting a 1975 750K. Fired it up for the first time on Friday, which was very exciting.  :) Now that the carb rebuilding and rewiring is done, I'm moving on to brakes.

While researching here I found some steel brake lines being offered by Slingshot Cycles. The single hose setup appealed to me, and I noted that bypassing the 3-way connector would require a new master cylinder with a brake light switch built in. Then I thought... I already have one of those. That's groovy and all, but I purchased a master cylinder rebuild kit a while back on account of the brake fluid having leaked everywhere, and now I'm not sure if I can use it.

Can anybody tell me what this master cylinder setup is? Did the stock master cylinder setup come with a place for the switch connector? Think I could use the stock rebuild kit on this, since I'm assuming the connectors for the brake line are the same diameter?
1975 CB750K5

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
Re: Master cylinder with built in switch - what is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
Don't know about that master cylinder, but you can buy a banjo bolt from Slingshot Cycles that has a switch built in just for this purpose.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:37 pm »
78K (CB750) models had the switch in the MC.  I bought one specifically to do what you're talking about.  In terms of compatibility with rebuild parts.... not sure.  I think the 77 and 78K MC has a different length of piston?! but all else may be the same?! hmmmmmm. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Mandic

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:55:12 pm »
my 77F has the same style master cylinder with the switch mounted to it.  The piston is a different bore than that of a K bike though.
77 CB750F - Cafe/Daily Rider

Offline zabzob

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:21:48 pm »
After much struggling, I managed to get the master cylinder apart. The piston looks to be the same bore. Am I being naive, in that I'd only be able to measure the difference with a micrometer?

The rebuild kit parts are all exactly the same as what I just took out of there, with the exception of the space between the two rings of the piston. Any idea how this will affect things?
1975 CB750K5

Offline zabzob

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:20:26 am »
Instead of chancing it with a slightly different piston, I guess I could just clean up the old one and use the new seals and clips (which are all identical.) Any problem with that?
1975 CB750K5

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 05:28:28 am »
I'd be a little leary of mixing and matching parts.  If the piston is in good shape then reusing it might be a better option. 
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.