Author Topic: good source of info?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline sopo400f

• Enthusiast
good source of info?
« on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:11 am »
I have been hanging around this forum for a while now and I still haven't found a simple explanation of how the ignition system on my bike (cb400f) works.  If anyone has any links or direction , I would be happy to check it out.
Thanks
Dan
1975 cb400f blue

Markcb750

Re: good source of info?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:16:12 am »
There are many explanations of how points and coils work online.  It is difficult to explain without knowing your current level of understanding.

Simply put the points are simply switches timed to the rotation of the crankshaft.

When the points are closed power flows from the battery to the primary side of the coils, creating an EM field in the coils.

When the F timing mark is reached the points open causing the primary side of the coil to quickly change to zero volts. As this occurs the EM field collapses and induces a voltage in the secondary side of the coils (the coils are electrical transformers which conduct in response to a changing EM field such as the one collapsing in the primary wires)

As the field in the secondary builds it reaches a point that the gap of the plug develops sufficient potential to cause a spark to discharge the coil.

This charge through the points/discharge through the plug cycle is repeated each time the crank shaft goes through one revolution.

Honda fours use a dual wound coil that fires two pugs simultaneously, one in a cylinder just before Top Dead Center on the compression stroke, one in a cylinder TDC on the exhaust stroke. This was done to allow two points to run a four cylinder motor with out a distributor system as seen a car engine where they have more room.

The condensers suppress the voltage bounce on the primary wires when the EM field is collapsing, this reduces sparking across the point gap which damages the mating surfaces.

Optimizing the Standard SOHC4 Ignition System
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/sohcign.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:21:02 am by Markcb750 »

bollingball

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:13 am »
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_read_an_electrical_schematic_drawing

All I did was a google search ( how to read a electrical print). A print is just like a road map once you learn how to read one you will not get lost :) This should be your first step. There are several smaller circuit with in the entire bike print in your case the ign. circuit. Mark cover it very well.

Offline sopo400f

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 05:01:08 am »
Mark thanks for the link.! That's pretty much what I need.

If anybody has more links or info, that would be great. I tend to learn best by reading a couple different articles that cover the same topic.
1975 cb400f blue

bollingball

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 06:23:25 am »
sopo No offence I wasn't sure what your knowledge level was.HondaMan's book is one of the best investments along with the factory service manual you can make goes into the ign and entire electric system. Very detailed but with down to earth language even I can understand. Really great for late night reading It is based on the 750 but other than the engine most all the other stuff is close to the same.

Offline sopo400f

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:15:00 am »
No offense taken.
I easaly understand all the physical operations of the bike, but I have a bit if trouble wrapping by head around the electrical aspect of thhe bike. Kind of funny for me because I work at a marine store where I advise people all the time on how to wire there boat and I also completely rewired a boat I use to have.

Your right, I really should get the Honda man book, but I can't swing/justify $100 for a book right now.
1975 cb400f blue