Author Topic: big engine trouble  (Read 5045 times)

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Re: big engine trouble
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 07:37:32 am »
Phi:

Is your advance working properly?
Are we assuming you left out a 0 after the decimal point correctly?
Are you running on all 4?

Lets get confirmation on these things before you start rejetting..
No.

Offline phi

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 01:56:25 am »
I'm sorry, I have left a zero out, the valve clearance is of course 0.05 mm (0.002 in) and 0.08 mm (0.003 in)
You may have a point with the airfilter, I have just cleaned it with pressurized air and inspected it. A new stock airfilter is on its way.
In the meantime I have read the plugs by killing the engine on the troublespot, and they are white. I need more gas, not more air as I assumed. I have, based on this knowledge, dropped the 900 carb idea and start by jetting the original. It is definitely not running too rich, so I will try to bump the slow jet one step up, and the main jet 2 steps up.
Just interesting info: I wondered why the bikes pistons and valves was fine with so lean a mixture, so i contacted the seller. It turned out that the bike had been running some big CR carbs in the past, but those had been used for something else, and had, without further concern, been replaced with the stock ones and never run again. No wonder it is lean.
Thank you for help and inputs.
wow, did you see that old Honda?

Online willbird

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »
Can you raise the needles ? My bike when I put the header on would act sort of like yours does, the plugs were white, raising the needles one notch cured the lean condition.

In my case easing in some choke made the problem go away at cruise speed (55 mph) so I suspected a lean condition, checking the plugs confirmed it.

Bill

Offline phi

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 10:36:21 am »
Update:
This is magic: I raised the needles one step from the original position, and the problem spot raised to around 6500 RPM. A 130 main jet took care of the rest. I am one happy guy! Now I just need to adjust the embarrasing high idle when hot. Adjusting the airscrews will probably take care of that.
I feel like a evil engine genious right now, so once again, thank you all for inputs and ideas.
wow, did you see that old Honda?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 10:44:53 am »
Update:
This is magic: I raised the needles one step from the original position, and the problem spot raised to around 6500 RPM. A 130 main jet took care of the rest. I am one happy guy! Now I just need to adjust the embarrasing high idle when hot. Adjusting the airscrews will probably take care of that.
I feel like a evil engine genious right now, so once again, thank you all for inputs and ideas.
You ARE the evil genius (positive reinforcement). 

Those big cylinders just needed a little more go juice.  Have fun.

There is an idle jet in the carb that can be changed IIRC. May need to go there.

Of course all the usual suspects, air leak, hanging cables, etc, should be checked.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."