Gunk Gel
2 (4.3%)
Gunk Foam
8 (17%)
Simple Green
30 (63.8%)
Oven Cleaner
1 (2.1%)
Miller Lite...Gets less effective the more you use.
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: April 26, 2011, 11:05:43 am

Author Topic: Vote for your Best Degreaser! I have been cleaning all week. My vote is in!  (Read 6773 times)

Offline robdrobd

• Who? Me?
  • Master
  • Isn't she a beauty?
I have been cleaning my engine for days...(seems like years) and decided to give a quick poll for engine degreasers. I started with Gunk Foam, but was unimpressed. I used Simple Green, but it seemed too wimpy. Oven cleaner...too harsh. I settled on another Gunk product..The Heavy Duty Gel Degreaser. I like it so far. What are your thoughts?

Offline lone*X

• Expert
Simple,  Kerosene.  Not in your survey.   Still can't beat it for cutting grease and tars, and it will not hurt cured paint.  Used it to clean road tar off my bikes, cars, and trucks since I first learned to drive. 

To me the oven cleaner is just for stripping tough paint where you want bare metal.
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Offline Hannibal Smith

• 3rd Grade Dropout
  • Hot Shot
Kerosene and Mineral Spirits to cut grease crud-

LPS degreaser (Citrus base) for secondary soak-

I do use Simple Green for removing light oils-
Follow my build "P38 Racer" in Project section

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
Simple green for regular cleaning, but nothing beats standard engine degreaser while the engine is together. It even removes oil stains from your driveway when it drips off the engine.

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Simple,  Kerosene. 

Hey fellas..can you include your time tested and proven method as well?  spray bottle, scrub brush, wax-on, wax-off, miller light rinse...etc.

'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
Engine degreaser doesn't need any agitation unless the grease is super thick. In that case, I use a nylon brush and a bucket of water.  Simple green is usually a rag application for me. I will use an old toothbrush for tight areas though.
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
    • 1976 CB750F "Pegasus bike"
I like simple green and a bit of elbow grease does the trick for me. and for a general motor/parts wash down I use a spray on wash off degreaser. I have not tried Kerosine yet but hear great things about it.
Sometimes...the hard thing and the right thing are the same thing!

1976 CB750F "Pegasus Bike"

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.0

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
+1 Varsol works here
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline Silverback

• Hot Shot
S100 motorcycle cleaner! Accidentally get it on your chain and you'll need to re-oil.
Chris
"It's hard to define soul. You get it in art. You get it in music, and occasionally you get it in machinery."
78 CB750F racer
78 CB750F stock
75 CB750K Baby Blue Sold (She was a great bike!)
71 CB750K (rusty rod)
77 cb550F Sold :(  Bought it Back :)
Basket case 73 CB750, 77 CB750F (Building now)
01 Aprilia Falco
76 kz400
96 BMW K1100LT

Offline lone*X

• Expert
S100 motorcycle cleaner! Accidentally get it on your chain and you'll need to re-oil.

That would be expensive to degrease an engine or entire project with.  Cost is the biggest problem with any of the aerosol cleaning products and the very reason shops all have a parts cleaning stations installed.
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Offline robdrobd

• Who? Me?
  • Master
  • Isn't she a beauty?
So far none of the ones listed are getting any votes ;D

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
How about listing cleaners that are not hard on rubber bits. Engine degreasers are sometimes pretty rough on things, especially if they are not cleaned off quick. Oven cleaner eats everything.
I like simple green but it is slow to work sometimes.

Offline swellguy

• An electric cattle prod is a
  • Hot Shot
  • Divorce is so expensive because it's worth it.
    • http://ksphotos.com
Brake fluid?
This project started in confusion and will end in disarray.
--
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76471.msg852227#msg852227

Offline nayto550

• Hot Shot
For an engine in pieces, I've always liked going down to the local coin-op "pay-n-spray" carwash and basting the hell out of them with the super high-pressure wand.  Nothing beats the looks some people give when you dump out a crate of engine bits on the floor in one of those places.  ;D

For a complete engine I normally use "Foamy Engine Brite" (I think that's a Gunk product) and a rag... and a garden hose to rinse it all off.
1976 CB550F
1976 CB750F - in resurrection process
1988 HD FLHS

Markcb750

I have found Turtle Wax wheel cleaner does a good job on the painted case.  It can discolor the unpainted areas if you leave it on too long without rinsing well with a hose and spraying with kerosene or WD40.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
For those of you that say Simple Green is too weak, are you diluting it to bathroom cleaning levels?  Because it's hella strong undiluted.  You have to glove up or it'll dry out your hands like crazy.  It really soaks up the oil.  For the bikes or just greasy crap in general you can probably get away with a 2:1 water-SG dilution and it'l work good.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
I spray it straight on. It does not dry out my hands though so I never wear gloves.

Offline sopo400f

• Enthusiast
My two favorites are
Sterling's Brush Cleaner and mary kate's Spray Away.
1975 cb400f blue

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
I go with simple green for most jobs. That dirt and grease has had 30+ years to accumulate.  Any cleaner that can knock it off in a few hours of scrubbing is doing a decent job  ;D

It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
I can't believe no one else has done this...ride down to the nearest gas station and pick up a couple cans of starter fluid...spray it on hard to reach oily baked on crud and watch it immediately dissolve...kind of expensive way to go but it gets stuff cleeeeeaaaannnn....
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline singedebile

• Hot Shot
you have to admit its pretty cool when the 'bio degradable' 'all natural' cleaner is the staple best of the bunch!
1975 cb550f super sport, 1976 Yamaha IT400, 1974 Suzuki T500

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
Castrol Super Clean (Big Purple Jug) is the absolute BEST degreaser around. I've used it for tearing down a dozen motors, one of which a crusty old Diesel. It's so tenacious that I usually cut it 1/1 with water. Seriously, go grab a gallon of this stuff and tell me it isn't the SH*T!!!

Offline anthony

• ebay and i have a love hate relationship
purple power by auto valet. i have not found any thing it cant clean away.

http://autovalet.ca/product_details.html?code=330&page=page-1

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
Castrol Super Clean (Big Purple Jug) is the absolute BEST degreaser around. I've used it for tearing down a dozen motors, one of which a crusty old Diesel. It's so tenacious that I usually cut it 1/1 with water. Seriously, go grab a gallon of this stuff and tell me it isn't the SH*T!!!

I use that stuff. It works great but don't let it drip down the driveway and into the storm drain. I use a plastic mortar tray from Home Depot under my bike when I clean.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
I really like the ZEP Industrial Purple Degreaser. It's probably very similar to the Castrol. Off with the grease, with minimum of brushing with a nylon brush, and it doesn't hurt rubber, paint, or cad plated parts. A good rinse with water, thorough drying, and parts are ready for paint with no contamination. It's inexpensive at the Home Despot.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
KEROSINE

Offline Dusthawk

• Expert
  • Dusthawk & Rita IFO Phils Cafe, bestest Breakfast!
    • My MySpace Place
If you aren't worried about stripping paint or clear coating, Berryman B12 Carb and Choke cleaner works the best for me. If you rinse it away as soon as the part is clean it doesn't harm the paint or clear, but if left on it'll strip it clean down to bare metal taking away even caked on tar.
1971 Honda CB750 K1 Chopper A.K.A. Rita

Build Thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86383.25

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
simple green, castrol purple stuff.....watch that stuff soak the oil right out of concrete, and citrus based cleaners all work well
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
LPS degreaser (Citrus base) for secondary soak-

In my experience, cadmium and zinc plated hardware develop white oxidation if the cleaner is not completely rinsed with (warm) water......I found that a lot of bolts when removed later were showing that whitish powder....that was on a new bike, with the whole washing history known, plus it discolors them a bit as well.

K+L bike wash seems to work better to give a nice clean look, and (so far)  I do not notice any corrosion. It is pricey though....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:21:52 am by somesuch »

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
wd40 to marinate and loosen the crud, followed by either simple green or krud kutter (whichever I have handy).
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE