Author Topic: Michigan Rider List  (Read 12931 times)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Michigan Rider List
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:25:09 am »
WORK IN PROGRESS - needs MAJOR updating

Please reply with where you plan to meet up with the ride and where you plan to exit.  What overnights will you be at?

The ride would go something like this:

?? Unknown
!! Confirmed

Day 1 - Kalamazoo
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool
Handoff from Team Ontario at Allen Park, MI at Noon, Giant Tire behind Baker Collage
- Any Canadian riders continuing on??
- TinTop ??
- Bwaller ??
- MJ ??
- Dave the Welder !!
- Bob Wessner??
Lunch Meet up in Hell
Dinner Meet up at Dark Horse, Marshall
Overnight at Kalamazoo (1 bed, one sofa @ OldSchool's.  ?? @ Seanbarney41's)

?? may be some pad days here

Day 2 - Kalamazoo
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool & Mrs
- Jkidd01
- MJ ??
- Dave the Welder !!
Lunch Meet up at ??
Dinner Meet up at ??
Overnight at Interlochen at Cycle-Moore (camping)

Day 3 - Interlochen
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool & Mrs
- RatRacer
- Jkidd01
- MJ ??
- Dave the Welder !!
Lunch Meet up at St. Ignas
- Fuzzball
- Dave the Welder (heads for home at the bridge) !!
Dinner Meet up at ??
Overnight at Sault Ste. Marie at Fuzzy's (some beds, a couch, back yard camping)

Day 4 - Sault Ste. Marie
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool & Mrs
- Jkidd01
- MJ ??
- RatRacer
- Fuzzball
Lunch Meet up at ??
Dinner Meet up at ??
Overnight at Copper Harbor (camp or hotel - Lake Fanny Hooe)

Day 5 - Copper Harbor
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool & Mrs
- Jkidd01
- MJ ??
- Fuzzball
- RatRacer (heads for home at MI/WI Border)
Handoff to Team Wisconsin at Cycle-X, Hazelhurst, WI
Lunch at Cycle-X ??
Dinner Meet up at ??
Overnight at Hazelhurst, WI

Day 6 - Hazelhurst, WI
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool & Mrs
- Jkidd01
- MJ ??
- Fuzzball (heads for home) ??
Lunch Meet up at ??
Dinner Meet up at ??
Overnight at Cascade, WI

Day 7 - Cascade, WI
Breakfast Meet up at ??
- Seanbarny41
- OldSchool & Mrs
- Jkidd01
- MJ ??
Lunch Meet up at ??
Dinner Meet up at ??
Overnight at Kalamazoo

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:20:17 pm by OldSchool_IsCool »
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline RatRacer

Re: Michigan Rider List
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »
I'll be meeting up with you on your way out of Interlochen and breaking off at the Wisconsin Border. 
Just let me know where you'll be eating breakfast and I will meet you guys there.
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:46:50 pm »
I'll be meeting up with you on your way out of Interlochen and breaking off at the Wisconsin Border. 
Just let me know where you'll be eating breakfast and I will meet you guys there.
there is a little breakfast joint very close to the campground, if you find the campground you can't miss the restaurant and it seems a likely/obvious place to meet.  Or you could meet us at the campground(Cycle Moore)
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »

Rat,

We'll prolly be getting an early start from Interlochen, like 9 or 10 in the morning.  Will you be able to ride all night and be ready to head to the Sault?  You are more than welcome to met up with us the night before and camp with us all at Cycle-Moore so you are fresh for Day 3.

Just a suggestion.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Fuzzball

• There are some who call me....
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:24 pm »
I'll meet the ride Day 3 as you come off the bridge in St. Ignace and then stay with it to at least Cycle-X.

Day 3 overnight at Fuzzball's B&B:
First "B": The farm's got 2 avail. bedrooms---dibs for couples of course.  Plus floor or couch space in a large rec room or camping in the backyard if you want.
Second "B": Breakfast---hotcakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes and coffee featuring home-roasted espresso.
78 CB750 Four "The Little Beast"
95 Triumph 900 T-Bird "Ginger"
84 1200 Goldwing Aspencade "Brown Sugar"

Looking for a Great Charitable Cause and a Hot Pin Up Calendar?
Check out http://www.pinupsforvets.com

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:01:03 am »

Rat,

We'll prolly be getting an early start from Interlochen, like 9 or 10 in the morning.  Will you be able to ride all night and be ready to head to the Sault?  You are more than welcome to met up with us the night before and camp with us all at Cycle-Moore so you are fresh for Day 3.

Just a suggestion.

Don't worry, I'm not that crazy!  I'm planning on riding down a day early and crashing at a friend's house near Mackinaw City for that night.  From there it's just a 2 hour run down 31 to Interlochen.  I think the name of the restaurant next door to Cycle-Moore (same side of the road but about 100 yards west) is called "Dilbert's".

Thanks again Fuzz!  I love starting a day on the road with a good breakfast.
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:49 am »

Rat,

Just a suggestion.

Don't worry, I'm not that crazy!  I'm planning on riding down a day early and crashing at a friend's house near Mackinaw City for that night.  From there it's just a 2 hour run down 31 to Interlochen.  I think the name of the restaurant next door to Cycle-Moore (same side of the road but about 100 yards west) is called "Dilbert's".

Thanks again Fuzz!  I love starting a day on the road with a good breakfast.

LOL!!

Good deal Rat.  See you at the campsite or the restaraunt on the mornign of Day 3.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »
will meet up with you guys at the BIG TIRE and will torn off at the BIG MAC for home wish i had more time to ride the UP maybe next time
don't buy it build it

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:28 pm »
will meet up with you guys at the BIG TIRE and will torn off at the BIG MAC for home wish i had more time to ride the UP maybe next time

OK Dave, will be good to ride with you through the LP!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline jkidd01

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 03:43:09 pm »
Where you have me in the list looks good. I'll let you know if there are any changes to my schedule though.
1982 CB650SC Nighthawk
1981 CB650C

Offline zanorak

• Enthusiast
  • Surviving the Apocylipse quite well.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »
What's the route into Kalamazoo? I live in Saint Joseph - on the lake shore about an hour out of Kalamazoo. I'm not crazy enough to take the 500 on I94... and missing all that wine country scenery would be a sin.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Michigan Rider List
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:35 am »
Hey Zan,

We'll be coming into Kazoo from Detroit, so won't be in the St. Joe area. You could grab US12 or Red Arrow into Kazoo and head to Lansing and beyond if you like!  There is a map on page 1 if you haven't seen the proposed route.

Dates are yet to be determined. Kazoo may be a "hold" location where the ride will pause for a day or three. You are most welcome to ride to Kazoo the day before we head north, seanbarney & I have a few places to flop if you need it.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:45:35 pm »
Hey Zan, also Old School didn't mention that you could ride from Kalamazoo to Detroit with us to pick up Godzilla from the Canadians...Red Arrow high way is a pretty nice ride that I take often between Kalamazoo and Benton Harbor...

Offline zanorak

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:39:56 pm »
YEah, I love red arrow. Lots of history. The 500 has never been running for that long though - I'm kind of scared she'll crap out on me. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot and see.

I would say that if you DON'T stop over in Kalamazoo you'll miss some good beer at Bell's brewery. ;)

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 06:54:06 am »
We should probably put together a telephone directory of riders as well.  Some riders aren't very familiar with the areas we will be riding and/or meeting.  I would hate to leave someone behind simply because their directions to a meeting location got snafu'd and they couldn't contact anyone.

I am currently working on a list of Japanese motorbike shops in the UP by county.  Bike shops up here don't sell all brands like the big mega-dealers downstate, but they will work on anything that comes in the door.  I figure that if we have a list, we won't need it.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »
Zan,

Bell's could easily make it onto the schedule!!  On the way back from Detroit, I'd like to stop at Dark Horse in Marshall too!

Rat,

Good idea with the phone list!  For privacy purposes, let's exchange numbers via Private Message.  As for the dealer list, here is a short list of Michigan Honda dealers that are along the routes.  Please add as you see fit!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212639289406289974048.0004992e693086989e435&z=7
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »
YEah, I love red arrow. Lots of history. The 500 has never been running for that long though - I'm kind of scared she'll crap out on me. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot and see.

I would say that if you DON'T stop over in Kalamazoo you'll miss some good beer at Bell's brewery. ;)
Zanorak...do all the 3k mile tune up stuff, then start doing 20 mile loops near your home, add 10 or twenty miles every time and after several repeats you've done about 100 miles in one trip...you might be surprised how dependable these old gals are!

Offline zanorak

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 04:49:19 am »
Gotta get the wheel bearings back in first!!! :D

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:55 pm »
I'm watching carefully and will be there if, if, if. I'm a fair weather, non-interstate, backroad rider. I would presume the KZoo contingent would be coming in on I94 to the Tire, so I'd likely meet ya there and tag along till Hell or maybe KZoo.

Theres another big MC event nearby, the weekend of June 11-12, that I have been hoping to make for a while:

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/assets/files/2011%20Cycle%20Flyer%20FINAL%20A.pdf

Zanorak...do all the 3k mile tune up stuff, then start doing 20 mile loops near your home, add 10 or twenty miles every time and after several repeats you've done about 100 miles in one trip...you might be surprised how dependable these old gals are!

+1... Last year made a 250 mile roundtripper to Gilmore from Livonia and have to say the bike is good for plenty more.

71 CB750 K1
100,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 01:53:38 pm »
KevinD...our route map is here...    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81256.0    ...in the first post.  You will notice that we will spend very little time on I94!  Hope to see ya on the relay and at the Gimore show!

Offline AudimanAdam

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 08:28:57 pm »
I'd be interested in the Copper harbor ride. I live in marquette. I'm probably the only one in the U.P with this bike lol
CB550 cafe with R1 swingarm

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Michigan Rider List
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 05:43:57 am »
Hey Adam!

Welcome to the ride!  Please be sure to send a PM to Jerry RXMan to get added to the official list  also look up fellow Marquetter RatRacer. GZ should be rolling thru the UP in late July!!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline zanorak

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:51 am »
I'm BACK! just getting over Lymes disease (ick) and the bike is running. Has there been a firm date set? With new bearings and tires I can now understand why people say these are the smoothest bikes ever... wow huge difference.

Offline Fuzzball

• There are some who call me....
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:07 am »
I effing hate ticks, but probably not as much as you do. Welcome back and good riding!
78 CB750 Four "The Little Beast"
95 Triumph 900 T-Bird "Ginger"
84 1200 Goldwing Aspencade "Brown Sugar"

Looking for a Great Charitable Cause and a Hot Pin Up Calendar?
Check out http://www.pinupsforvets.com

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Michigan Rider List
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:00 am »
Zan,

Welcome back to the land of the living!!

These dates are 90% for sure.  We'll be taking off from Kazoo on July 27 to camp that night at Interlochen. Ride to Sault Ste. Marie on the 28th to camp in Fuzzball's back yard. On the 29th we head for Copper Harbor to camp/hotel at Lake Fanny Hooe (snicker).  On the 30th we head to Cycle-X for the handoff to Team North. Camp that night at Cycle-X.

Return home either via Chicago (overnight at Scramblers place) or back thru the UP to the bridge & down. Sean is taking the Chicago route, I'm not sure on my return route yet.

As for picking up GZ in Detroit,  that date is yet to be determined. From Detroit, we'll ride to Kazoo and hold GZ there until the 27th. Overnight accommodations in Kazoo are available both following the Det pickup and the night of the 26th for anyone heading North.

You are welcome to ride as much or as little of the route as you wish!!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?