Author Topic: powdercoated my cb550 ( '74 ) frame. Now what?  (Read 775 times)

Offline CBDee

• Enthusiast
powdercoated my cb550 ( '74 ) frame. Now what?
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:51 pm »
What do i need to do to get this frame ready to put together? The threads for teh shocks were covered, and the steering head was plugged, but everything else is coated. Do i need to scrap the frame in places for ground? If i do, where? Where do i attach the green wire from the wiring harness? I just want to be clear on this. Thanks!
Sent from my Old & Busted PC using Myindexfingers

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
Re: powdercoated my cb550 ( '74 ) frame. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:01:04 pm »
The green wire connects to the frame at one of the ignition coil mounting bolts. Any ground connection needs to be ground/sanded to bare metal. One problem I encountered was at the rear brake lever pivot. The lever wouldn't travel easily or smoothly until I removed the coating.

Offline swellguy

• An electric cattle prod is a
  • Hot Shot
  • Divorce is so expensive because it's worth it.
    • http://ksphotos.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »
You'll need to retap all threaded holes that are the frame, but I don;t think there are many. What you should do is scapr off any powdercoat where engine mount bolts meet the frame so you have bare metal contact on both surfaces. If you torque down a fasterner and there's powdercoat somewhere in the join it will crack and the fastener will no longer be right against the pieces its holding down.
This project started in confusion and will end in disarray.
--
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76471.msg852227#msg852227

Offline CBDee

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 03:15:58 pm »
Thanks for the info, guys. So I scrape coating off of the frame under the coil mounts and where the engine bolt's to it. on both sides of the frame mounting lugs, or just where the engine and frame meet? Does that include the front top brackets and the bracket by the battery box to?

And should I use dilectric grease where metal meets metal?

Thanks again!
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:18:53 pm by CBDee »
Sent from my Old & Busted PC using Myindexfingers