Author Topic: 1972 CB750 - Vermont Winter Project - Into the second Summer  (Read 23396 times)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: 1972 CB750 - Vermont Winter Project - Into the second winter
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 08:07:11 am »
Glad to hear you've had a good riding season on the ol' CB. Too bad we've haven't met yet (since we live within miles of each other). Since you're taking the top down this winter, you might want to think about dropping in a new cam. Nothing too radical, but something just enough to free up a bit more power.

I took my bike out for one last ride yesterday before putting it up for the winter as well. I'll keep my Ducati out as long as I can, but I need to buy one more part to fix my carb problems (bigger slow jets) and since I don't have a job currently, that's kind of on hold.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »
Good looking project. I live in northern Vermont - Burlington area. Where are you?

I had to take out a bad kreme job and used M.E.K. with good results.

Thanks KB02, Im in Burlington.
So far Ive gotten most of the kreeme out.  There are a few smaller pieces that Im hoping to get out tonight and then seal the tank.  Wondering if MEK would of been a better option though.

If you read the instructions with the Kreme kit, it says to use MEK to remove a bad KREEM liner

Hopefully I never have to do that again, but if I do Ill use MEK.
-Adam

1972 CB750 (current project)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=87951.0

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 02:05:39 pm »
Glad to hear you've had a good riding season on the ol' CB. Too bad we've haven't met yet (since we live within miles of each other). Since you're taking the top down this winter, you might want to think about dropping in a new cam. Nothing too radical, but something just enough to free up a bit more power.

I took my bike out for one last ride yesterday before putting it up for the winter as well. I'll keep my Ducati out as long as I can, but I need to buy one more part to fix my carb problems (bigger slow jets) and since I don't have a job currently, that's kind of on hold.

No kidding. We're probably right near each other.  Glad to hear your getting out and about. Ive been tempted to pull the bike back out given some of the nicer days we've had. Ill look into replacing the cam too.  Probably gonna start a thread asking the dos and dont to a top end rebuild and what to look at while Im in there. 

What size slow jets are you looking at? I have a few parts carbs laying around, I can see what I have.
-Adam

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2011, 04:27:31 am »
#40 pressed in slow jets.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2011, 07:46:38 am »
Awesome thread, jsut read the whole thing.  :D
I too got a 750 this year and basically only had to play with the carbs and sync.
I put about 3,500 miles on mine this riding season. Gonna take care of some
rear drive issues, new spokes, brake, sprockets, chain and gonna drop the oil pan
and install some new O-rings on the pump, and hopefully If all goes right, a new set of HM341 pipes for it too! My bike has 33K miles on it now and had been in storage for 25+ years when I first got it. I know not all 750's leak at bit of oil on the head edges, but most do. Mine does and I guess it is quite common for these old bikes to do this. But there are new head gaskets that clear up this issue very well ;)
You doing all that work to the bike in your driveway is awesome! 5gallon buckets
make great seats for working on these classis's. Keep up the good work!
Ride ON
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 08:17:33 am »
Awesome thread, jsut read the whole thing.  :D
I too got a 750 this year and basically only had to play with the carbs and sync.
I put about 3,500 miles on mine this riding season. Gonna take care of some
rear drive issues, new spokes, brake, sprockets, chain and gonna drop the oil pan
and install some new O-rings on the pump, and hopefully If all goes right, a new set of HM341 pipes for it too! My bike has 33K miles on it now and had been in storage for 25+ years when I first got it. I know not all 750's leak at bit of oil on the head edges, but most do. Mine does and I guess it is quite common for these old bikes to do this. But there are new head gaskets that clear up this issue very well ;)
You doing all that work to the bike in your driveway is awesome! 5gallon buckets
make great seats for working on these classis's. Keep up the good work!
Ride ON

Thanks Man. Ive had to take sometime away from the bike lately, but hoping to get back to it soon.  Most likely after Xmas travels.
If your gonna drop the oil pan and change out the O-rings look into changing out the o-ring in the countershaft oiler.  Its a real #$%* to get those old countersunk screws out, but worth it.
I would love to get a stock exhaust set some day. That would be the ultimate final touch.
Yup that was my summer garage, inside for the winter now. Someday Ill get a real garage, but until then...That's the exact reason I have the bucket it, a perfect multi-use seat.

Have you started a thread on your bike?

take care

#40 pressed in slow jets.

Haven't forgotten about ya, just been busy. I'm pretty sure I have an extra set of those laying around. Next weekend I'm planning on organizing everything since Ive moved the bike inside. Ill let know you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:19:26 am by VTCBike750 »
-Adam

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
Well I have come across another set back. Im declaring my gas tank done. When I got the bike it had a terrible kreeme liner covering a bunch of rust. I got it all cleaned out and placed a fancy new POR-15 liner.  I had recently drained all the gas out of the tank for winter storage to find that the new sealer is failing.

Took a look inside to see that it is starting to separate at the seams.

I cant figure out where things had gone wrong, at what point I didn't follow the directions perfectly.  From what everyone has mentioned the POR-15 kit doesnt come with enough Marine Clean and its best to deviate from the simplistic instructions to ensure a reliable result.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=99299.msg1108232;topicseen#msg1108232

All I know is that it is failing. 

The general consensus is that with some of the paint bubbling, it may leak after the paint is stripped off, and officially become a pain in the ass. So now its on to find another tank. Ill probably use the latch and cap off of this tank. I may try to have a radiator shop take a look at it, but who knows. On the bright side I get to learn how to paint! Definitely want to keep it sunrise flake.
-Adam

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:40 am »
New to the forum. Really enjoyed reading the thread. You got me thinking more about riding my 75 CB750. Will wait till next spring to fire her up and give it the first ride (didn't finish the restoration til recently... its cold and there's snow here in Michigan)
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »
KB02,
Just learned what a pressed in jet was, didn't catch that the first time I read it.  I only have the screw type man. 
-Adam

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 11:59:44 am »
So I havent done anything with the bike this winter just yet. I bought Hondaman's book as a Christmas present to myself and I'm about 1/4 the way through it.  Plan on reading it before I pull the engine and dig in.  I'm also deciding if I wanna dig into things while I'm living in an apartment.

We're in the process of buying a house ;D. I hope to never live in an apartment again! Cant wait to have a yard and garage. Having 2 dogs in an apartment sucks. Hoping to buy a house by mid April, make some necessary changes by mid May, move in and rebuild the engine before the end of July.

I cant wait though, July is gonna be amazing and terrifying. I get to become a DAD  ;D :o! Found out in early November and she just got into the second trimester. We still don't know what were having. I don't care as long at it has 10 finger and toes and is healthy.  Honesty both scare the crap out of me. We're super excited though!

So in all, working a lot, finding a house, and getting read for a whole new job, not much has happened with the ol'750
-Adam

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
So I havent done anything with the bike this winter just yet. I bought Hondaman's book as a Christmas present to myself and I'm about 1/4 the way through it.  Plan on reading it before I pull the engine and dig in.  I'm also deciding if I wanna dig into things while I'm living in an apartment.

We're in the process of buying a house ;D. I hope to never live in an apartment again! Cant wait to have a yard and garage. Having 2 dogs in an apartment sucks. Hoping to buy a house by mid April, make some necessary changes by mid May, move in and rebuild the engine before the end of July.

I cant wait though, July is gonna be amazing and terrifying. I get to become a DAD  ;D :o! Found out in early November and she just got into the second trimester. We still don't know what were having. I don't care as long at it has 10 finger and toes and is healthy.  Honesty both scare the crap out of me. We're super excited though!

So in all, working a lot, finding a house, and getting read for a whole new job, not much has happened with the ol'750

If you buy a house make sure to keep your dogs on your property and not on the neighbors property. I got a neighbor with 2 dogs and the first thing they did was put up a fence all the way around. The dogs do not bark, but sometimes it really stinks like poop between or house and their house.
BTW...
In the beginning of August the Curiosity Rover land on Mars on the 12th of the month.
A good way to remember your childs birth.
Just like the first CB750 was launched when we landed on the moon.

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 05:50:01 pm »

If you buy a house make sure to keep your dogs on your property and not on the neighbors property. I got a neighbor with 2 dogs and the first thing they did was put up a fence all the way around. The dogs do not bark, but sometimes it really stinks like poop between or house and their house.

Its been a busy few months, very busy. But were in the house. Dont have to worry about it smelling like poop though. Ive heard if you fill holes with their poop they wont dig them up again.  Anyways they've been digging lots of holes >:(. But the house is great, fenced in yard, garage, and partially finished basement. I finally get a garage to work on my bike.  Ill post pictures once I get it all set up. 

Since I last posted in January We've moved into a house and been getting it really for our baby.  Found it were having a BOY!
Heres the most recent photo, its crazy what technology can do.

As far as the bike goes...Nothing has happened.  I've decided Im not gonna rebuild the engine this winter/spring/summer/fall.  Its looking like this engines gonna get rebuilt this fall/winter.  Im just gonna get it back out and ride this summer.  Looking at getting another tank since the last one has the failing liner.

-Adam

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:16 pm »
Well I got that "new" tank. I was looking for a tank with minimal rust, no holes, something that didn't need a liner. Looked around, Got some great pics of the inside of a tank and bought the tank. Unfortunately the tank ended up having 2 small pins hole leaks. The seller even filled it with Kerosine to make sure it held. But when your buying a used tank that's 39 years old, its a possibility.

Oh well, I guess a round of electrolysis followed up with the works loosened rust up enough to open up 2 pin holes:

So with the help of the guys on the forum I learned to solder the holes closed:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=109479.0

As a secondary precaution I did cover the soldered areas with a 2 part epoxy gas tank pin hole patch. It was 4 bucks and figured it was worth the added benefits. Not sure if I'm gonna line it as a precaution. Its been a week, its still holding fuel and I'm able to ride. I did get the Caswell liner kit if I do decided to seal it. I think Im gonna paint the tank Duplicolor Burnt Copper Metal Specks. For now i dont mind the burnt, acetone disrupted flat black rattle can job the tank came with. Kind of like it.

I did find a good way to remove the stock latch using a nail, socket, and C clamp:

In the mean time were just getting the house ready. My wife could have the baby any day now, its kind of been a waiting game for the last week. I just dont understand how much more her belly button can stick out. Nursery is pretty much done and I got most of the work bench in the garage put together.

Not too bad, definitely a lot better than the gravel parking lot!

A buddy hooked me up with the cabinets. All I had to buy was the counter, some wood, peg board, and peg board accessories.

In the mean time the bikes running great. Just like it rode last fall. Still a slight oil leak, but hoping that this fall/winter I open up the top end.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:08:26 pm by VTCBike750 »
-Adam

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Re: 1972 CB750 - Vermont Winter Project - Into the second Summer
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 05:42:33 pm »
Nice work space! Do yourself a favor and get a small florescent lamp to stick under the middle cabinets. It will really help.

Yeah, My wife's belly button never popper out. Odd how that happens. FAHC has a great birthing center. Too bad the rooms they stick you in afterwards suck. I highly recommend Timberlane Pediatrics right next to the post office in the Hannaford's plaza. That's where we go. Great place.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline VTCBike750

• Hot Shot
Re: 1972 CB750 - Vermont Winter Project - Into the second Summer
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2012, 05:55:20 am »
Oh yeah FAHC did a great job. I have no complaints, the midwife we had was great. Oh yeah the recovery rooms were ridiculous, talk about small. Plus a roommate. Yup were going to Timberlane pediatrics on North Ave.

Yeah I have to get a light there. Most recent project was moving the whole work bench to the back wall. Just didn't work well the way it was when I put the car in. Had room, but very awkward.

-Adam