Author Topic: Someone needs to update the Motorcycle Classics Blog  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Someone needs to update the Motorcycle Classics Blog
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:49 pm »
The last update was May 23, lots of good rider posts and photos here since then.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Someone needs to update the Motorcycle Classics Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »
I whole heartedly agree! Not really sure what is going on. I emailed Motorcycle Classics with no reply?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:32 am »
I've been checking it at least once a week, and was wondering the same thing.

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:57 am »
IT's almost here in the Upper Midwest.  I am trying to register with MC Classicis in order to be able to add to the blog.  How do you make a new entry?  I can see the comments link, but who makes the actual entries?
1975 CB550K (rider)
1975 CB550K (shaping up, slowly)
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. . .

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:25:03 am »
Steve Shanesy aka Popwood had been writing the blogs and sending to Richard Backus at Motorcycle Classics. I have not heard from either pertaining to this after my last communications so I can not say what the issue is. ??!! I sure miss them and catching up will be difficult. Why not shoot them a message and see if you can find the answer. You can PM Popwood and email Richard from his site.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:10:07 am »
I got an email from Christian Williams, the online editor at MC Classics.  Apparently some prior committments have prevented Popwood from updating the blog.  I will send an article and photos covering my leg of the Relay to Christian.  Will contact Popwood via PM to see what's up.
1975 CB550K (rider)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:17:10 am »
Glad they are still in touch with one another. I've met Richard Backus, who is/was the editor?, and his assistant Landon Hall. Didn't know there was a Christian Williams involved? Where did you come up with his name? I'd like to get in touch maybe. Popwood has changed situations at his magazine and it's consuming much more of his time which has made a difference. He's done a fantastic job and certainly hope he'll be able to continue as it's a lot of work to put the blog together for a smallish audience here and on MC. Just glad we have guys like Popwood on board with us!

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 11:42:51 am »
Christian Williams is on the masthead as Online Editor. His email is cwwilliams@ogdenpubs.com.  Does Steve Shanesy work for a MC magazine?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:29:50 am by db22 »
1975 CB550K (rider)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:50:46 am »
I haven't seen that info?! Wondering if there has been a changing of the guard at MC? Steve had been the editor at a woodworking magazine and has recently changed positions and has dual responsibilities now.

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 04:07:29 pm »
Hey,  Everyone,
I just responded to a PM from db22 asking about the blog and could he post an entry about his leg. The short answer is yes, of course. This blog was never intended to be "my" blog. It was just my idea and I was able to carry the first couple months of the ride. Since then, I've had all sorts of stuff come up at work that occupies far more time than I would have hoped which prevents me from finding the time to keep the ride blog up. I can't speak for MC editor Richard Backus, but I'm sure he'd like to see the blog updated regularly by anyone who can handle the work so it's not too much trouble for them to post it to the blog.

My preference would be that others contribute since I'm just not able now. It's a totally worthwhile thing to do and will not only bring greater awareness to the SOHC/4 forum, but importantly inspire other brands/forums to undertake similar relay rides. Jerry G. has really hit on something with this ride and it should be an inspiration for other vintage bike groups to do the same.

I do wish you all well and follow the ride as best I can these days. If things had worked out differently I would still be blogging regularly, but the best laid plans some how seem to hit a deep rut from time to time.

Best wishes!!

Steve/aka Popwood
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 04:44:52 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the update and everything you have done! This is definitely a joint venture that is MUCH bigger than any individual rider. I know there are many guys that would be glad to follow in your foot steps, myself included. So, a few questions that we can ponder to come up with some ideas.

Did you and Richard have any format, etc set up for this? What did you do to obtain the pictures you used. Please guide us through your process and any requirements that MC set forth.

Guys,

I'm thinking that our Regional Coordinators should seek out a volunteer from their respective regions to do this blog. The coordinators could do this also. I feel that Steve did such a great job that we should continue in his format but of course insert our individual personalities into this. We should accomplish this in regional order. That would put Don R or a member of his tribe up to bat next followed by Bobby R's Team Mid Altlantic, Andy750's Team New England, OldSchool_IsCool's Team Eastern Canada and Team Michigan with OldScrambler put on alert. How does this sound? Input GLADLY accepted  ;D

Jerry

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the update and everything you have done! This is definitely a joint venture that is MUCH bigger than any individual rider. I know there are many guys that would be glad to follow in your foot steps, myself included. So, a few questions that we can ponder to come up with some ideas.

Did you and Richard have any format, etc set up for this? What did you do to obtain the pictures you used. Please guide us through your process and any requirements that MC set forth.

Guys,

I'm thinking that our Regional Coordinators should seek out a volunteer from their respective regions to do this blog. The coordinators could do this also. I feel that Steve did such a great job that we should continue in his format but of course insert our individual personalities into this. We should accomplish this in regional order. That would put Don R or a member of his tribe up to bat next followed by Bobby R's Team Mid Altlantic, Andy750's Team New England, OldSchool_IsCool's Team Eastern Canada and Team Michigan with OldScrambler put on alert. How does this sound? Input GLADLY accepted  ;D

Jerry

Jerry, there was no particular "format" for the blog. It was up to me to submit the update simply based on what had happened since the previous update. My method was just reading the posts about the most recent leg, look for the more interesting parts of it, write about that and mention who all was part of the leg. At the same time, I followed the posts about the upcoming leg or legs just to get familiar with who was riding, what the itinerary was, etc.

All that said, there could and are other interesting thing to write about in addition to the who rode where and what happened along the way. There are a number of threads having to do with the ride that would make an interesting blog entries-- like who are the riders in the various long distance ride categories, how many riders were on cafe bikes, how many rode what size bike, who rode the smallest bike the farthest, etc. I even thought about a blog that somehow compared how many hours were spent on the forum reading and writing messages about the ride vs. the actual time spent riding in the relay. There are some key personalities who keep this thing going-- like Jerry, of course. And there's Bruce who keeps track of the distances and state map. He's put in a tremendous effort.

As to how I sent material to Richard, I would write the blog as a Microsoft Word document. In the Word.doc, I would note where a picture should be placed and named it Photo 1, Photo 2, etc. Then I'd write the caption for the photo right there. I'd change the color of those parts so they'd stand out easily and the MC Classics folks would see them. So, it would be like this (Insert Photo 1 here. Caption: Godzilla had to crash the party at XX and even JerryRXmanGriffen couldn't get him under control so the cops came and cuffed him to a tree.)

So the email I sent to Richard Backus was just a note saying here it is and I attached the Word.doc and the photos or other stuff, like the map or distance chart, that kind of thing. Of course, the Photos were named Photo 1, Photo 2 so they could be matched to where they were placed in the Word.doc.  I found Richard to be extremely busy and sometimes overlooked the blog update email. If I didn't see it posted after a couple days I'd send a follow-up email as a reminder.

As for the actual photos, I would just scrape the ones I wanted off the rider posts from the forum. You can usually click on the image and drag it to your desktop and you'll have a .jpg file. The file size was usually OK since it had been sized for web use. Photos should be between 50 and no more than 150kb in size or no wider the say about 400 pixels.

Generally, I tried to make what I sent to Richard as easy as possible for him or his staff to load into the blog page. And I didn't bug him with a bunch of questions or ask him to do this or that. Like I said, he's real busy. But he is very interested in the ride as a subject and is very supportive of what going on. Did you notice the brief article about it in a recent issue of the magazine?

In the blog you write it's also good to mention the forum and provide a link. And it's good to encourage blog readers to join in the ride when it comes through their part of the country. I know we picked up a number of participants this way.

If anyone planning a blog wants to contact me I will forward the elements of what my "package" making up a blog entry was as that might be helpful. Just PM me. I'm happy to help.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:03:55 pm by Popwood »
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:09:22 pm »
Steve,
You make it sound easy and I KNOW that's not the case  ;) The format you're using is pretty straight forward. I think we can pull this off! Just wasn't sure what an editor to editor blog entailed for us mortals :)

One more question I have, and it's for long winded guys like me, is there a size limit requirement to what you send in or what Richard has requested?

Jerry

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 07:10:57 pm »
Good to hear from you, Steve! Thanks for getting the blog off the ground in the first place.
Sounds like we need to give Richard a "ready to publish" blog??
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »
Steve,
You make it sound easy and I KNOW that's not the case  ;) The format you're using is pretty straight forward. I think we can pull this off! Just wasn't sure what an editor to editor blog entailed for us mortals :)

One more question I have, and it's for long winded guys like me, is there a size limit requirement to what you send in or what Richard has requested?

Jerry

There were no length specs. While blogs tend to be shorter in general, I always figured a written piece should be as long as it needs to be and that is measured by how interesting or important what you have to say is. But generally speaking, error on the side of brevity.
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 07:49:34 pm »
Good to hear from you, Steve! Thanks for getting the blog off the ground in the first place.
Sounds like we need to give Richard a "ready to publish" blog??

Thanks, Scottly. "Ready to publish" is best, but I'm sure Richard and the crew can be helpful and cut you all some slack. Just remember that blogging is more loose than writing for print (read that easier, less formal), it's good to be personable (let YOU show through) and just tell the story and keep it moving along.
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

Offline db22

• Hot Shot
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:46:38 pm »
There is a new entry in the blog covering the end of the Wisconsin leg of the relay.  The online editor of MC Classics, Christian Williams, has put a link on the blog for rider submissions.  Send in your logs and photos!
1975 CB550K (rider)