Author Topic: Any help for a NEWBIE???  (Read 956 times)

Offline UYD4L

Any help for a NEWBIE???
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:27 am »
Hi all,

First & foremost, let me say thanks to all of you out there who are active in this community and so willing to share your secrets & tips. Without this forum, where would we be?

I'll get to the point.

I've owned a 1977 CB750K4 for a few years and decided to go the cafe racer route with it. Now that I've been giving it more consideration, I've decided I want to go full race replica and am looking for advice on everything from frame mods to suspension and engine mods as well as all of those kinky dry clutch and electronic black arts as well. I am a novice mechanic but capable and willing to have anything I'm unable to do done by a professional. These bikes deserve more attention and I hope to accomplish this with this build. I'm looking to build a machine that has strength (engine) and everything else that can be improved upon within reason.

I'm starting from scratch here and hope the members of this forum can take me under their wing (pun intended) and show me there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm currently in South Korea as this is where I work and live, but hope to work on the project over the coming summer with my dad & brother as a bonding experience.

I'm sure you all have your thoughts and opinions about something like this. I started reading many of the forums but found some broken links and thought I'd start this thread in an effort to consolidate any information for future newbs. One thing I'd like to say is that although I don't currently plan to race this bike when I'm finished, that could change in the future so I'm aiming for performance mods. I look forward to hearing from all of you who are willing to lend me any advice and encouragement on my build. Where do I start???

Sincerely, Rodney

(PS...be gentle~)

Offline evan77

Re: Any help for a NEWBIE???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:19:07 pm »
welcome rodney,

you have an idea of what you want your final product to be so that is a good start. the next thing you need to take into consideration is what your budget is. once you have that determined you will have a better idea of what goals to accomplish first and what you want to save for later.

the common theme around here and the correct one is to make sure your bike is up to snuff as far as safety is concerned. brakes and tires being at the top of the list. after these items are all sorted out you may want to concentrate on upgrading the suspension and handling. i.e. bronze swing arm bushings, rebuild forks (maybe install progressive springs if you want), rear springs and shocks, tapered steering bearings etc. etc.
here is a link to suspension suggestions.

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/archives/280

it is always best to make sure your bike is in optimal shape in all other categories before you try and make it go faster.
once you are there, have a blast with your engine.

the search function is your friend. there is a ton of valuable information this site can provide.
have fun, take your time, and do it right the first time.

ps. you either have a 1977 K7 or a 1974 K4

-evan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: Any help for a NEWBIE???
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:33:55 pm »
Hi Rodney, welcome to the mad house. ;D

First and foremost you need to tell us what sort of budget you have planned.
A lot of people soon shy away when they start to hear what performance parts cost.
Give us some ideas of what you want and what you want to spend, then sit down while waiting for replies, a stiff brandy close to hand is a good idea. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just a few items can cost more than you paid for the bike in the first place. ::)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike