Author Topic: TEAM MID ATLANTIC ROUTING THREAD - Mission Accomplished!!!  (Read 41167 times)

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
After some slight confusion (I changed the meet location!) I just got a call from George, who is 12 blocks from my apartment. The original plan was to meet at my new shop space, but given the hour, I figured we should feed the man. He's been riding since early this morning. The man deserves a meal.

So the girlfriend is preparing BBQ kabobs. And we will make this hand off mellow, but satisfying I hope.

....4 hours later:

I burnt the kabobs. But George was gracious and didn't complain. :). We talked bikes and heard the stories of his travels. a great guy, and we were lucky to have him join the crew, and get this IT up north.

And now, the NYC adventure begins....
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
George shares his chicken with the lizard...

2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline gschuld

• Master
Wow, no wonder I haven't included pics of myself during this adventure!  I look a bit retarded in that picture!  How does that go again?   If you can't spot the crazy one in the room, your probably it!   hmmmmm

Good luck with GZ Scott, he was great company for me!  The kabobs were very good, thank you!  Hopefully I will be able to join in again soon.   I'm going to bed!

George

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Unfortunately that's the only photo I had of you with the Godzilla. :)

I would say you look transfixed...

Glad you made it home safe. That's a marathon day of riding!  Make sure you post in the logs your story of getting the bike ready for this trip. Having to machine parts to make sure you had a SOHC-4 ready for this rally is the stuff this whole adventure is made of.

I'll be plotting my photo-ops carefully, and try to hit up some good places to post up here....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:48:05 am by Nortstudio »
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Wow, no wonder I haven't included pics of myself during this adventure!  I look a bit retarded in that picture!  How does that go again?   If you can't spot the crazy one in the room, your probably it!   hmmmmm

Good luck with GZ Scott, he was great company for me!  The kabobs were very good, thank you!  Hopefully I will be able to join in again soon.   I'm going to bed!

George
You look like a freakin hero. George,  you traveled some of the most congested roads filled with the most homicidal drivers you can find almost anywhere. We should all your leg Death Race 2011.

You have a great eye for photography and a sense of humor too.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
Anyone planning to come to Rhinebeck for the final leg, please declare yourself so I can make arrangements. 

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Officially declared.
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline gschuld

• Master
As long as the wild horses can't keep me away, I'm in!

George

Offline Doggie

• Hot Shot
  • CB550F, CB650c, CB550k, Cb750K
Count me in too. I will be driving up on Saturday. Hope to see you all there.

Doug

Offline weekend_junkie

• I bet you think I'm some
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
After taking a(n unfortunately timed) vacation down by LBI, I'm back in The City to scoot around with GZ
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

Offline 736cc

• Master
Is Rhinebeck a Saturday or Sunday, and where and when does the group ride start?

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
Rhinebeck is Saturday June 11. The meetup place is a Mobil station at the Annsville Circle at the foot of the Goat Trail that runs to the Bear Mountain Bridge. You can click on the Google logo in the lower left corner of the map and it will open up to full size. You can calculate your route to the meetup point on that map.

I would like to leave there no later than 9;30 Am. Team New England has an ETA of 12 noon. This gives us a chance to stop in Cold Spring or Beacon fo a bio break and some coffee, take pictures and whatever.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-202+W%2FUS-6+W%2FBear+Mountain+Bridge+Rd%2FHook+Rd&daddr=41.536111,-73.9554512+to:41.588596,-73.9214381+to:Cross+St&geocode=FYsndgIdzs-X-w%3BFW_KeQIdhYeX-yk9dPKPIDHdiTHFfATK9vWRfQ%3BFXSXegIdYgyY-ylnpq0G7TndiTGApVJijDww5A%3BFbbifwIdujuY-w&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1,2&sll=41.561133,-73.916702&sspn=0.092095,0.15398&ie=UTF8&ll=41.561133,-73.916702&spn=0.092095,0.15398&output=embed

I have chosen  Rt 9D rather than Rt 9. Rt 9D hugs the Hudson and is really pretty in spots.

This may not be the longest or most challenging leg of the Rally, but it may be the last time GZ passes thru our area.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:12:14 am by BobbyR »

Offline 736cc

• Master
I gotta work that Saturday so thats that :'(, but perhaps before and/after that Saturday there's a Sunday or weekday when GZ is being ridden around NYC, Long Island and New England I can join in. Everybody, please keep posting tentative dates of meetings and  destinations.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:49:52 am by 736cc »

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
I gotta work that Saturday so thats that :'(, but perhaps before and/after that Saturday there's a Sunday or weekday when GZ is being ridden around NYC, Long Island and New England I can join in. Everybody, please keep posting tentative dates of meetings and  destinations.
GZ is in NYC as we speak. Reach out to Nortstudio, he could use the company.

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Ok, so I just heard back from Billy Joel's assistant. She says they will open the shop for some photos during the weekday for us (it's typically only open to the public on a few hours each weekend).

If anyone is interested in going out to oyster bay for a photo op with the collection, please let me know. I get the impression BJ won't be there - but you never know.

I'm pretty flexible during this week and next. So if you'd like to head on out - let's get it started.

Scott
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline Doggie

• Hot Shot
  • CB550F, CB650c, CB550k, Cb750K
Hi Scott, I would love to meet you there. Just let me know what day so I can take the day or afternoon off from work and meet you there. I won't be riding with you guys upstate, but will meet you in Rhinebeck for the hand off.
                                Keep up the great work, Doug

Offline Hasenkopf

• Really, I'm not an
  • Hot Shot
  • This space for hire.
Anyone planning to come to Rhinebeck for the final leg, please declare yourself so I can make arrangements.
   sorry,  can't make it...
I like berries.

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Anyone who feels like hitting the city this Saturday for a whirlwind tour of photo ops, please let me know.  Myself and weekend junkie are going to get some of the photos that show off the city, with the Godzilla enjoying the ride/sights.

Scott
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline weekend_junkie

• Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
Anyone who feels like hitting the city this Saturday for a whirlwind tour of photo ops, please let me know.  Myself and weekend junkie are going to get some of the photos that show off the city, with the Godzilla enjoying the ride/sights.

Scott
Coffee is my treat for anyone who shows up before 10AM, location to be determined!  I will be starting off in Hoboken so feel free to PM or email me if you are coming in from the NJ side of the Hudson.
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

Offline weekend_junkie

• Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
Went out for another warm-up run last night and spotted what looked to be a cafe'd CB550, possibly a CB750, heading south along the Hudson near West New York.  Anyone want to claim that bike and join in tomorrow?
Dan

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Down at south tip of manhattan waiting for Weekend-Junkie to begin our day of photo-ops. I'm right across the street from Fraunces House. Debated as the oldest standing building remaining in NYC.

Passed The hottest chick on what looked to be a Hawk GT coming across the Williamsburg Bridge. So cute, so NOT handling the bike in traffic :). But still cute!

Good place to start....

Stand by.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:58:53 am by Nortstudio »
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline weekend_junkie

• Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
*** GODZILLA ATTACKS NEW YORK CITY ***

### GZ was spotted at Fraunces House, the Brooklyn Bridge the Wall Street bull, Times Square, rooftops near the Empire State Building, and Roosevelt Island. ###

Wow, what a ride through the city!  Even though I didn't sleep last night and I just spent the last 8 hours ripping around NYC, I am still feeling the energy.
Dan

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
I wonder how he is going to enjoy the forests of New England after he has seen Times Square.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
Full pics to come when I get a second to clear them from
My camera. But in the meantime, here is a shot of weekend-junkie (dan) me and a new friend from Brazil we met. We were down by te bill near Wall Street, and he came up and told us he has a club in brazil that is made up of all Honda CB riders.

We ended te day at my apartment in Brooklyn so Dan could sign the book, and I parked out front right next to another SOHC-4.

Small world....

2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles