Author Topic: stock honda RECTIFIER FIX-beeleev it !  (Read 6370 times)

Offline brianmac

stock honda RECTIFIER FIX-beeleev it !
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:32:40 pm »
my old school self and my nasa electonical injuneer old school buddy tore into the original honda cubical plate rectifier just to clean it, and lo and behold there is a paper thin insulator pipe that covers the ground/mounting bolt (one and the same), which fell apart inside the unit who knows how many decades ago. the insulator keeps the hot incoming wires from going to the ground bolt, there are 3 yellow form alternator, and one red from batt?. if the insulator is bad, you WILL  have a voltage drop. and one green.
THE FIX. pull out the bolt carefully, clean parts to expose fresh brass(do not take apart cube part, or remove the inside wires. remeber where everthing goes, take digital pictures. clean bolt if needed. cover the bolt with 2 or 3 coats of heat shrink insulator  tubing, high enuf to cover bolt where the hot leads come in, cut off excess with razor if needed. reassemble. done deal. these things look like flash gordon parts.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: stock honda RECTIFIER FIX-beeleev it !
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:09 pm »
Interesting.  Got any pics of the process?

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline brianmac

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:20 am »
no, sorry , but its just too easy, i forgot to say to heat shrink each piece, one at a time, but that should be obvious, remember one side of rectifier cube is hot, the other is grounded. you will see when u take it apart. and notice that there is an insulator washer , take pics when u do it. my nasa buddy also checked each individual diode with an ohm meter to ensure current only flowed unidirectionally. if your charging system is working, id say leave it alone. murohy's law

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:48:31 am »
Interesting idea but this ain't rocket science  8) Hopefully he'll have the time and opportunity to find more answers to our old ageless 70's rockets and their problems. Keep him onboard with Mission Control and give him our thanks for tinkering with our shuttles.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline PurduePete

stock honda RECTIFIER FIX-beeleev it !
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:33 am »
Going to give one a go tonight. Thanks for the how to and I agree with the above poster, thank the rocket scientist for us and get him to take a look at some other pieces :D

PurduePete

Sent from my iPhone
1973 Honda CB500 Four - Restoring
2001 Suzuki DRZ400 Kicker - Street Legal