Author Topic: stock coils  (Read 1143 times)

Offline extek66

stock coils
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »
I just read the post in FAQ about replacing coil wires by drilling.How do the new wires make contact after drilling?would stock coils work with a Pamco ignition?
                                                                                       thanks John

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
Re: stock coils
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:06:30 pm »
You have to bare the wire and make sure it contacts, then epoxy it. I have not doing it so I can't comment on difficulty.
The stock coils do work with the pamco.

limelucycrx

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:55 pm »
Im in the same boat, I wish someone had a how to with pics.

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:21 pm »
It may be money or whatever but some stick with the stock coils. For me, at the age they are now, if wires are needing replacement, so is the coil. JMO

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »
It is unfortunate that the output wire insulation gets so brittle with age.  But, that is just one part of the whole assembly, and doesn't mean the whole assembly needs replacing because one part if it is damaged, anymore than a whole car needs to be replaced because the tires are worn out.

It is NOT a simple task to change the output wires.  But, if you can the coil will still work fine for many more years.
The coil is made of copper windings, copper doesn't degrade with time, only exposure to the atmosphere.  The copper windings are coated with and insulation layer.  could be Formvar, shellac, lacquer, epoxy, etc.  The insulation may also degrade with exposure to the atmosphere or UV light.  But, until it breaks down the copper is protected.  Then the entire insulated wire coil is sheathed in yet another molded plastic, to protect the individual wire insulation from the atmosphere and UV light.  So, as long as that other shell is intact, the innards ought to live and function as new for a very long time indeed.

If the ignition wire join at the coil body is intact and not cracked, you can use NGK's wire splicers to butt new wire onto the oid coils without any dissection.  For example:
http://www.parkeryamaha.com/ngksparkplugwiresplice.aspx
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/splicers.asp

Simply drilling into the coil body and stuffing a wire into it, is pure folly and only if you are lucky will it function at all.  You need to make a wire to wire connection in order to NOT add another spark gap to the spark loop.

Hope this helps,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.