Author Topic: Trip preparation - What should we bring?  (Read 11509 times)

Offline RatRacer

Re: Trip preparation - What should we bring?
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »
BEER
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)
I tend to favor Cap'n & Coke, but I appreciate the underlying concept just the same!

On a serious note; Tupperware or a small plastic cooler is a waterproof (and semi-crash proof) way to pack things such as books, cameras, cellphones, souvenirs or anything else delicate and water sensitive.

For those riding the UP leg I will have a rescue truck/trailer standing by in Marquette in case someone's bike decides to take a dirt nap.

I can't stress the importance of cash enough!  (And don't forget your $3.50 to get into Heaven!)
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »
Well............Yeah Mick....that was a given......they talking about all this other odds n' ends you should bring along............I guess we better follow this thread & learn something.......
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:40 pm »
Well............Yeah Mick....that was a given......they talking about all this other odds n' ends you should bring along............I guess we better follow this thread & learn something.......

You mean like beer coolers and beer glasses and well ...........more beer...... :P
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »
Some people just have no clue how to pack a bike for a road trip...................dama.....it ain't rocket science!!!!!
MEMBER # 257

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:00 pm »
Some people just have no clue how to pack a bike for a road trip...................dama.....it ain't rocket science!!!!!

Yeah, #$%*em, at least we have beer..... ;D ;D ;D :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Redrider969

• "What fun to be on the road again." B. Baggins
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:15 am »
Gosh, I almost forgot.  jumper cables!  I believe they make motorcycle size jumper cables now.  I made a pair for myself over 30 years ago - still use them.  All you need is some relatively heavy multi-strand wire and some big spring clips.  I use  a little bit of colored electrical tape at each end to get the polarity right.  There's no push starting a CB750 with a dead battery!
Redrider969

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Trip preparation - What should we bring?
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 10:49:04 am »
Bottle Opener!

MAN! could be tragic if all that beer is long neck non-twistoff!!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline jkidd01

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 02:35:34 pm »
Yeah, I've already got us covered on that. I have one on my key chain at all times, because you never know when you'll be in some strange place with no twist off beer!
1982 CB650SC Nighthawk
1981 CB650C

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »
The key rings for my car and my bike are both bottle openers. The only time I don't have one with me is my commute on the train to and from work when I leave my vehicle keys at home.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:13 pm »
The key rings for my car and my bike are both bottle openers. The only time I don't have one with me is my commute on the train to and from work when I leave my vehicle keys at home.
Thats not good!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........U should ALWAYS be preprared!!!!!!...........NOW GIT DOWN AND GIMME 50!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
MEMBER # 257

Offline RatBikeRandy

• Enthusiast
  • Yes I Can
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 05:27:02 am »
Second on the throw away clothes for bike trips.  I have a whole spacebag full of ratty jeans, t-shirts etc.

A fairly decent mattress is a $3.00 float from Wal-Mart, they work OK, pack well and are cheaply replaced when needed.

If taking food - soft taco size tortillas double as bread and they are already flat!  Country ham biscuit slices need no refrigeration, is very light and thin.  Condiment packs are GREAT!  I take a Coleman Sportster stove, mess kit, percolator, can of Sterno when camping.  I cook and make coffee on stove then keep it warm with the Sterno while still working with stove.  For the first night I had an excellent dinner of canned chunk chicken spiced with Taco Bell sauce packs made into enchiladas, Ramen noodles and cold beer.

Sunscreen and bug spray (if camping)

Packable fishing rod if near trout streams, lakes etc.

Extra key if you have it (I threw mine away once in my ratty throw away jeans)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 06:17:36 am »
I second the second key!  Maybe even a third!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 09:04:57 am »
Well, others have listed a lot of good stuff.  Here's a few other things to consider.

Doesn't hurt to take throttle and clutch cables with you.  Dirt bike guys used to run the extra cables right next to the existing cables and tape or tie wrap them in place.  That makes changing them that much quicker.  I just roll mine up and put them in my luggage. 

You might want to take a length of clear plastic tubing to use to siphon gas out of a buddy's tank - I've needed to do that more than once.   

For years, I've used a tire inflation hose that attaches to the Engine.  You pull out a spark plug, screw in the hose, start the engine and use the dead cylinder as an air pump.  It's always worked for me.  You used to be able to get it through J.C. Whitney. 

If you have to change a tube, it's a lot easier with three tire irons.  The longer the tire irons the better. 

If you don't have your owners manual, it's a good idea to take along s copy of your wiring diagram.

I've had trouble with the ignition (key) switch going out on me.  My solution was to cut the plug off of an old switch and "hot wire" the wires together.  Then, if the switch went out, I could just plug the hot wired plug into the wiring harness and keep going.

A spare bulb for your tail light or turn signals and if you have a halogen headlight, a spare bulb for that.

I think someone already mentioned electrical tape, but a little duct tape is always handy.  I don't take whole rolls.  I wrap an appropriate amount around a short piece of wooden dowel or  pencil.

And finally, now that so many organizations offer motorcycle towing services, I'd consider signing up for one and carrying that plastic card.  Better to have it and not need it.

Good ideas.  About a  month and a half ago a friend gave me an old Dorcy motorcyle emergency tire repair kit that included one of those spark plug air pumps.  I haven't tried it yet.  Last week I saw the same pump at Rocky's  when I was picking up my spare front intertube, so they still are available.

Gosh, I almost forgot.  jumper cables!  I believe they make motorcycle size jumper cables now.  I made a pair for myself over 30 years ago - still use them.  All you need is some relatively heavy multi-strand wire and some big spring clips.  I use  a little bit of colored electrical tape at each end to get the polarity right.  There's no push starting a CB750 with a dead battery!

I looked at a pair of jumper cables when I was at Rocky's and passed them up thinking that I could always kick start the bike.  It wasn't until I got home that the no juice for the alternator means no ignition either.  Might go back for them.

Bottle Opener!

MAN! could be tragic if all that beer is long neck non-twistoff!!

The edge of a table or counter works good for an opener.  If all else fails we can always use the edge of your sidecar.  ;D

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 12:19:31 pm »
Apparently road rash kits are a good idea!   ::)
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »
you think???hope you heal quick
don't buy it build it

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »
Slip a bottle of eye drops in your pocket. Long hours/miles, even with a shield, take their toll. Used them on a couple of long trips in the past and was glad I had them.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.