Author Topic: Indiana court: No right to resist 'unlawful police entry'  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
Indiana court: No right to resist 'unlawful police entry'
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:47:54 am »

Cameras tracking your every move, cell phones & Ipads tracking your wherabouts and now this... :-X :-X

The Indiana Supreme Court has ruled that people cannot keep police from entering their homes, even if the entry is "unlawful."

In a 3-2 decision, the court held there are valid reasons for police officers to enter homes without a warrant and without knocking , including concerns for an officer's safety or that a suspect may escape or that evidence may be destroyed.

"We believe. . .a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence," wrote Justice Steven David. "We also find that allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest."

David said a person arrested following an unlawful entry by police can still be released on bail and has other opportunities to protest the entry through the court system.

The Northwest Indiana Times reports that the court's decision stems from a case in which police were called to investigate a husband and wife arguing outside their apartment.

When the couple went back inside their apartment, the husband told police they were not needed and blocked the doorway so they could not enter, according to the newspaper. When an officer entered anyway, the husband shoved the officer against a wall. A second officer then used a stun gun on the husband and arrested him.

Justices Robert Rucker and  Brent Dickson dissented, saying the court's decision runs counter to the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

"In my view the majority sweeps with far too broad a brush by essentially telling Indiana citizens that government agents may now enter their homes illegally -- that is, without the necessity of a warrant, consent or exigent circumstances," Rucker said. "I disagree."

Rucker and Dickson suggested if the court had limited its permission for police entry to domestic violence situations, they would have supported the ruling.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-ind-court-no-right-to-resist-unlawful-police-entry-20110513,0,1713312.story
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
Re: Indiana court: No right to resist 'unlawful police entry'
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:43 pm »
 :o Nazi Bastards...!!!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »

Well ZZPete....I ain't seen you around these parts for a coons age! Joining the relay as it comes through your area?
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:46:51 pm »
 ::) I wish. I just retired (working 7 days a week) and I haven't had time to get it running. I will be on standby for support. Gammaflat has my number and the Ford Ranger is ready! Picked up a couple of bikes though. A 12/69 CB750 and a 1/71 will post pics soon!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline tramp

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:50 am »
if they hear shooting, screaming or other life threatening noises i agree
but just to barge in
no way
1974 750k

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:58 am »
law enforcement used to mean that.  Now its all about control.  tell nothing and say absolutely nothing.

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »
I do not like this ruling,
but then again, I am also not impressed with all the laws passed recently.
Especially the Patriot Act et al.

Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:45:40 am »
Where's the 'unlawful entry'?

All I get from that article is that some a$$hole asked for a ride to jail and got it.
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:51:04 am »
Let em barge in now, sue em later. Could be your lottery ticket!
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:43:03 am »
Do not resist the jackboot nazi police and their Stazi tactics, you will only enrage the filthy swine and force them to get rough upon application of the full cavity search.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
welp might as well take away 2nd amendment rights as well since that obviously can "unnecessarily escalate the violence of the situation" and poses a threat to our civil servants.

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Where's the 'unlawful entry'?

All I get from that article is that some a$$hole asked for a ride to jail and got it.

well it turned into a supreme court case so by that point the jackhole and what he did has nothing to do with it. he's probably already served his sentence.

the supreme court is to argue the constitutionality of the situation, or a very specific part of the court's decision.