Author Topic: fenders and alignment  (Read 1018 times)

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
fenders and alignment
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:23:28 am »
Could a slightly bent fender, cause enough twist in front forks, to cause handlebars to cock one way or the other?

My 750k has just such a cock to the right, (less than an inch) of the handle bars, even after new fork tubes were installed. A bent frame or 3t should not twist the tubes in such a way that handlebars would skew left or right. What do you guys think? 

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: fenders and alignment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:55:15 am »
Are you sure the bars are not tweaked?
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 08:23:58 am »
New bars.

I should add, the bike does not veer noticeably with my hands off the handlebars.

Offline vance

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:35 am »
i had a similar situation after my bike flew off my trailer during a car accident. it turned out to be a combination of bent upper fork tubes but mostly the steering stem (lower triple) was twisted. you can try taking that fender off and loosening the front end, push the wheel the way you want it to go and tighten back up. if that doesn't fix it drop the front wheel and lower the forks a little so they are only mounted in the lower triple tree. you should be able to look from the side of the bike and see if one fork is in front of the other down be where the axle would be. also pull the forks out and hold a straightedge to the upper tubes and rotate them. you'll see if there is a bend fairly easily.

1977 cb550k "Old Gray Baby"

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:16:17 am »
Good idea.

Thanks for the input.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:20:32 am »
Could a slightly bent fender, cause enough twist in front forks, to cause handlebars to cock one way or the other?

My 750k has just such a cock to the right, (less than an inch) of the handle bars, even after new fork tubes were installed. A bent frame or 3t should not twist the tubes in such a way that handlebars would skew left or right. What do you guys think?
As mentioned, a tweaked lower tree will cause what you see. And is very common as tweaks go.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:31:22 am »
I guess I assumed since I already tried two 3T's with the same results that they were not the culprit. They could both be bent I guess.