Author Topic: 1974 CB550k Primary Chain Noise at Idle ... with pics of my build  (Read 1577 times)

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, however I have used previous posts to solve MANY problems.  For that I thank you all very much.  I bought a 74 550 back in May 2011. This is my first bike, I figured since I am a mechanic by trade I would like to buy a cheap decent looking CB to turn into a cafe racer.  The bike was a no run when I bought it but looked to be in typical farm fresh condition.

I started by removing and cleaning the carbs completely.  I replaced the air filter, throttle cables, clutch cable and gave it an oil and filter change.  I put in a new battery and fired it up.  After a little tweaking I got it running pretty well.

Since then I have done lots of mods, Clubman bars, stainless steel brake lines, new coils, new wires and plugs, re-timed ignition, new petcock...I dunno probably way more.  Oh yeah painted the tank and side covers. bobbed the fenders and replaced all lights...I will post pictures after I get my question typed out.

I now have 600 miles on the bike since I bought it.  33,000 total.  It will idle at 1,000 pretty smoothly, but has the "common" rattle with the clutch out in neutral.  It is dramatically better in 1st with the clutch in, and non existent in gear going down the road.  I have yet to pull the pan and check the slop, but my question is how much damage can I do running it like this for 1 season.  The plan is to pull the motor and do a gasket and ring job next fall, at that time I will do cam chain and primary chain and anything else i notice being worn.

I will realistically ride about 5-6 thousand miles this summer, will I do a ton of damage riding in the current condition.

I guess its important to mention I did adjust cam chain tension and have crudely balanced the carbs with a ghetto vacuum gauge setup I made myself.  ( like everyone else I ordered a carb sync tool 2 days ago and am waiting for its arrival ughhh I am impatient.)

I hope that a better sync will help.. Sorry for the long winded explanation... any advice is greatly appreciated.

Day I bought it

As it looks today

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:39:20 pm by WarwickE36 »
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Re: 1974 CB550k Primary Chain Noise at Idle ... with pics of my build
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »
Very nice. Understated and simple. I like that you retained the rear fender. A lot of cafe bikes don't have them and it just looks odd to me.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »
Clutch rattle very common @ idle, but can be improved, sometimes dramatically , by a careful vacuum carb sync.  ;).....
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »
I guess I am the "If it didnt come this way from the factory something is wrong" type.

I dont like cranking down the highway at 80 thinking about primaries and clutch noise and so on and so forth.  Tracking says my carb sync tool will be here between June 3 and June 9 vague bastards. 

Does primary slack usually go away clutch in, bike in gear? or does primary noise get worse with RPMS?  Just looking for a little info on what to be looking out for.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:57:09 pm »
I think your hearing clutch rattle, but my experience with primary rattle is that it is worst when the bike is started cold and improves or disapears as the bike warms up.... no so clutch rattle, it will remain @ idle all the time.
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »
hmmm  it seems to get better with temps. I attributed it to the engine smoothing out as it warmed up, but it could be my imagination... It definitely never goes away completely.  Also when cold if i tilt the bike to the right while running in neutral I get a nice metal on metal rotational grinding noise from the clutch area (sounds horrible).  This noise DOES go away when warm. 

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline sopo400f

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »
Hello from a fellow mainer.
 Very nice bike!
1975 cb400f blue

Offline Bob3050

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »
The noise that you hear when leaning the bike may be kick starter related.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:12:00 am »
If you remove the sump pan after draining the oil you can get a finger in and feel if the primary is eating into the lower case, if so it needs doing soon
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:47:50 pm »
UPDATE:

My carb sync tool showed up.

Wow...one cylinder was pulling 60in. another was pulling 10, 40, 25.... No wonder my engine was pissed under 2k

I got them all pulling the same and it runs SO MUCH smoother now.   There is still a slight clack clack noise under 1,400rpms but its very faint and basically undetectable with my helmet on.

Thanks for the input everyone...looks like Im safe to ride

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s