Author Topic: The Electrical Walk of Shame: I'm in too deep!  (Read 605 times)

Offline Doctorlumen

The Electrical Walk of Shame: I'm in too deep!
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:58:35 am »
I have been re-building my electrical system on my 400f. I built my own wire harness, have a MOTY battery, Oregon Motorcycle reg/rect unit, mini speedo with led idiot lights, and new 4-wire ignition switch. So, I'm in real trouble with all the stock bike guys already, but to my point.

I've done all this work...I thought pretty well...but can not for the life of me get my headlight, tail light, or new dash to light. The mystery is that I have 12v across each of these devices while plugged into the new harness. Each device works when plugged directly to a battery...I am at a loss. Pun kinda intended.

Is it possible that somewhere I am loosing current? What might cause this? Wire size? Do I need relays everywhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
Re: The Electrical Walk of Shame: I'm in too deep!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:32:09 am »
Have you checked to see if you are getting power threw your ignition switch?  Just about everything runs threw the ignition switch.  My power wire (red) corroded right off my ignition switch and I had no power at all. No lights, no ignition, no starter, no horn.  Cleaned up the switch and soldered the wire back on and everything worked again.  I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it would be worth a check.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:38:25 am »
All you need to do is post your accurate wire diagram and all the specifications for the parts used that are not like what appears on the stock wire diagram.

Are you aware that current flows in loop.  As such, any device must have an electrical path both from and to the battery.

Voltage can be distributed with a single wire.  Current flow needs a path out and back, which means either two wires or a metallic path substituting for a wire.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

bollingball

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:31:53 am »
If you have 12v then start looking at your grounds

Offline Doctorlumen

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:48:09 pm »
Turns out grounding and a faulty LH switch were the cause of my woes. Glad to know the loom works, but feel a bit like a jackass for missing the ground.

Now for the house keeping part of the job. What a drag!