Author Topic: Keihin CR carbs and your starting procedure  (Read 10101 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Keihin CR carbs and your starting procedure
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:30:31 pm »
Just trying to find what others with CR carbs are doing to get their bikes started (before its warmed up). I have been messing around trying to find what my bike likes to get her going. So far it likes just a tiny bit of choke, crank it over a couple times and then just a small amount of throttle. Once it gets warmed up it starts no problem with a quick push of the starter button. Whats your procedure?

Offline Rod

• Enthusiast
Re: Keihin CR carbs and your starting procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:38:55 am »
A squirt of petrol from a hand spray down each bell mouth, and the throttle just cracked open (so probably just 3 or 4ml of lift on the slides).

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:38:11 am »
I do not like the CR cold start circuit at all. The plunger sealing surface gets crap on it which eventually causes seating problems and weird running problems. As David Hiller can attest the starter jets are to large too.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:14:09 am »
I just push the button and it fires with no choke
but I am a little rich on the bottom end.

I would like to add that if I do use the choke there is no way its going to crank
just too much fuel
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:40:33 am by big-jim »
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:31 am »
I have noticed the choke or starting circuit on these could use some redesign or modification. I have tried to give it full choke and no way will it start.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:07 am »
LOL! You guys don't know when you've got it easy - starting on new style Keihin CRs is a breeze compared to old style CRs with ticklers.... ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:18 pm »
Agreed, those old ticklers had you pushing them down... even after bike was fully warmed and they always allowed petrol to spill on top of engine cases, that is how I got CR Specials allowed in AHRMA, just for safety's sake alone!

Like Mike has said, the enriching circuit is too big on those, so all we did is choke and as soon as it fired...take choke off.
Mark@ M3
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:37 pm »
full choke
  usually starts on third kick (cold)
    a bit of a PITA trying to start it if its already hot though
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:57 am »
Agreed, those old ticklers had you pushing them down... even after bike was fully warmed and they always allowed petrol to spill on top of engine cases, that is how I got CR Specials allowed in AHRMA, just for safety's sake alone!
Mark@ M3
Great common sense Mark - I wish the CRMC here in the UK would follow suit...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline burmashave

• Forum Immoderator
  • Old Timer
    • burmashave.net
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:41:20 am »
Full choke on a cold start, but I try to turn it down to about half-choke once it starts. It usually takes me 1-2 kicks to get it going. Hot starts are easy, but warm starts (after it's been warmed up and has been sitting for 1-3 hours) are a pain (many kicks) because I can't figgur out how much choke to use, and I'm afraid to flood it.

By the way, does anyone else find it nearly impossible to get any other choke setting other than full or minimal? When I try to set mine to half, it slides back down to low.
Quote from: SOHC Digger, RIP
'Ere's whatcha do, Guvna', just throw a couple dookie logs in the hearth and bob's your uncle!
'77 CB750k

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:49:41 am »
i put the smallest choke jets in i could buy [ i think from memory they where 35's ]   needs full choke to start , i then turn it to half choke for a couple of min till its warmed a bit 

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 08:06:46 am »
smaller choke jets, that's just what I need. A cold start is a real PITA everyday. My remote idle adjuster has see a lot of use and makes starting easier.

Online simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:51:58 am »
the remote idle adjuster is a must with these carbs !

Offline davesprinkle

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:10:39 am »

Like Mike has said, the enriching circuit is too big on those, so all we did is choke and as soon as it fired...take choke off.
Mark@ M3
I took a close look at the design of the starting circuit for the CRs.  Simply put, as designed, you cannot lean out the choke, no matter what size starter jet you install.  The starter jet bleeds fuel into a subsidiary bowl, which then feeds the choke circuit WITH NO RESTRICTION other than the choke plunger.  Bad design.  I've considered trying to machine threads to mount the jet between the bowl and the port.  It might be possible, but the improvement might not justify the difficulty.

Anyway, here's the starting procedure for my 400 with 26s:
-- Very slightly crack the choke, just open it off the seat.  Leaving throttle fully closed, kick the engine through. You'll hear a hiss through the choke circuit.  The engine will not start, but this first kick will load the port with fuel.
-- Close the choke fully.  Crack the throttle roughly 1/8 open.  The engine will start on the next kick.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 02:13:23 pm »
So I am going to order some new start jets, what size can anyone recommend? I see Simon mentioned 35's...

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »
Sudco is backordered on the #35 starter jets, anyone got a set they can part with?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »
After selling my troublesome 29mm CR's and enjoying the OEM 28mm Keihins for street use I missed the ability to rev my 836cc engine way past redline in each gear as I could with the CR's, so I've bought a set of 31mm CR's and just about every jet/needle combo that Sudco lists.

These carbs are "as new", the eBay seller bought them for something called a Yamaha Maxim, something that I've never seen before. Anyway, bottom line is that the PO realised that 31mm CR's were too big for a stock 700cc engine so leaned them right out with smaller jets and needles, but they were still too rich, so removed them.

What size needle/main jets combo's are you guys here with 31mm CR's on 836cc engines using? Also, I'm going to use a remote idle screw assembly, the stock CR setup is no good on a CB750, is there an "off the shelf" item available, or do I need to make my own? Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 02:57:07 pm »
There is one you can buy that is made for them. I know Sudco and Jet R Us sells them here Stateside.

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:02 pm »
 Mikuni needs to make 29 smoothbores again !   ;)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 05:32:32 pm »
What size needle/main jets combo's are you guys here with 31mm CR's on 836cc engines using? Also, I'm going to use a remote idle screw assembly, the stock CR setup is no good on a CB750, is there an "off the shelf" item available, or do I need to make my own? Cheers, Terry. ;D

I'm using 30mm velocity stacks, 130 mains and YY7 needles (one clip position leaner than middle). The open stacks and 4 into 4 open meggas can take quite a bit of fuel.  If you're running K&N's and a four-into-one pipe, you might want to try 125's to start, and stick with the YY8 needles.
Take care,
David

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »
link
http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/018_778_su.html

45 bucks for a screw? Oooer, last time I paid 45 bucks for a screw she showered me, dressed me, and kissed me goodnight! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 07:09:04 pm »
haha! Thats a good one. I made one from the idle screw that they come with and a ZRX adjuster. It was nearly identical. Gave it to another forum member.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 07:30:37 pm »
link
http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/018_778_su.html

45 bucks for a screw? Oooer, last time I paid 45 bucks for a screw she showered me, dressed me, and kissed me goodnight! ;D

Its good to see our $45 dollars going a little further in the current financial climate.... ;D ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.