Author Topic: My CB750 brat style build  (Read 59293 times)

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
Re: My CB750 brat style build
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 08:56:45 am »
Hey just a quick one for you, but what did you do for paint on your wheels and what not?
'78 CB750K.  Throttle ripper.
'71 CB100.  Grocery getter.
'01 XL883.  Panty dropper. Gone but not forgotten.

Offline haggeo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 05:10:51 pm »
i have this same bike, hope mike looks as nice as your in the end.

Offline aberle

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 10:14:50 am »
so #$%*ing rad, what size firestones did you use?

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:46 am »

pretty sure they are 4.0 x 19 for the front and 4.5 x 18 for the back.    That's what I have on mine and they will fit - **but - the front fender and fork brace won't fit.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:29 am »
love the tires...can i copy you?what are they..

whats up with the seat?is that done?that back rail looks nice!

Pat, if you want your bike to handle reasonably well then forget those tyres, they may look good but they are crap on the road and dangerous in the wet, they track badly and do absolutely nothing for handling. I really wish guys would stop hacking up good bikes to make cafe's and brat style bikes, no wonder the prices of these bikes are going through the roof. There are plenty of basket cases that can be butchered. That bike was nice....

I agree about not cutting up a good example of any bike. Especially the CB750 which is one of the 10 best bikes in the world.

There are many junkers out there waiting to be rescued.

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 06:38:40 am »
Ah, the crowd that tells the rest of us what we can do with our property.  ::)

If you want to build from a junker go ahead but don't tell the rest of us we can't start with a reasonably good condition bike for whatever build we desire.

My money. My bike. Eat it. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:41:53 am by jwarriner »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:48 am »

If you want to build from a junker go ahead but don't tell the rest of us we can't start with a reasonably good condition bike for whatever build we desire.

Really !!  I see no one TELLING anyone else what to do, its a forum fool so we can all share our OPINIONS. Its people like you that blow it all out of proportion and make it seem worse than it is........  I love people like you , you make our bikes worth more whilst making you own worth less........  Have fun eating your bike..... ::)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 07:30:36 am »
Really !!  I see no one TELLING anyone else what to do,

With over 6000 posts in two years you must post far more than you read.

its a forum fool so we can all share our OPINIONS.

I'm just sharing my OPINIONS.

Its people like you that blow it all out of proportion and make it seem worse than it is........

Hello Pot, meet Kettle.

I love people like you ,

Thanks, I love you too.

you make our bikes worth more whilst making you own worth less........

Perhaps I do not care what my bike is worth to anyone else but me. For the most part we're talking about <$5000 bikes but more likely $2500 or less, and in my case both mine were $600 and $750 respectively. All of the above are chump change in the grand scheme of life. I see building a bike as artistic expression. It's not an investment or money making venture. I don't care if it is to you but don't tell me what I'm doing wrong with my bike. If you purists want to barf your garbage all over our brains the best way to do it is probably not by trashing someone's build thread. I for one think Oasis' build is tasteful and awesome. But even if I didn't I would just stay out of his build thread. 6345 posts but 0 common courtesy. ::)

In addition to making my bike worth less I'd also like to point out that I make parts harder for you to find by cutting them with an angle grinder or just chucking them in the trash. This will be especially gratifying now.

Have fun eating your bike..... ::)

I eagerly await your reply where you hammer me with your forum posting abilities.

*yawn*

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:43:21 am by jwarriner »

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 07:49:33 am »
Bummer.

Offline HonderCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:50 am »
it does kinda stink to see a nice bike get cut up, but theres no denying that the end result is one cool-a$$ed ridee.  Nice job on the build, i really dig it.  I am kinda considering the same style with my 650.  Dont let anyone tell you what you can do with your bike and money.
-Scott, just a F'er from Illinois-

77' CB750F
81' CB650C - SOLD

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 08:07:03 am »
it does kinda stink to see a nice bike get cut up, but theres no denying that the end result is one cool-a$$ed ridee.  Nice job on the build, i really dig it.  I am kinda considering the same style with my 650.  Dont let anyone tell you what you can do with your bike and money.

It took me over two years to finally decide to cut my fender stay and my bike is not that nice. Whatever your level of comfort when it comes to cutting up these old bikes, I just don't think someone's build thread is the place to discuss it.

Remind me not to post anything else about my bikes. Sheesh.

Offline HonderCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:20 am »
um, i told the guy i like his bike, i like it alot in fact.  jump down someone elses throat, drama queen

77' CB750F
81' CB650C - SOLD

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:10 am »
I quoted you because I liked what you had to say. I can see how that was not clear. Sorry about that. Good luck with your 650 build.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:42:12 am by jwarriner »

Offline HonderCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:00 am »
thanks, it might be for sale actually...depends on the boss (ol'lady)

I think we all feel a little bit when we see a nice old bike cut up, that doesnt necessarily mean we disagree with whats being done (i dont anyway).  its just a natural feeling.  I feel the same way when i see and immaculate old car turned into a drag car, or an antique tractor heavily modded for pulling.  I still like the end result too, and its none of my business regardless.

77' CB750F
81' CB650C - SOLD

Offline Free Booter

• My Build: CB750k5
  • Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 07:39:43 pm »
Hey! That was the color of my bike before I started altering it! nice ride! I might have ket it like yours had my paint not been so mucked up .

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 02:12:35 am »
Well warriner, you need to work out the difference between an accusation and an opinion mate because yours was an accusation and mine was just my opinion and a suggestion. I post regularly here and buy lots of parts from this forum for my bikes, i also help lots of people out with some of my knowledge of these bikes as i have had over 20 of these bikes and currently have 3, and your dumb comment on parts just shows how little you actually know, everything can be bought brand new and it would take all of a couple of  hours to repair a cut frame,  :o  You may have also worked out by now that to post a comment in a thread you must first READ the thread, so to answer your ridiculous assumption {good at putting words into ones mouth aren't you } i read at least 40-50 threads a day  if i have the time, and i usually make time .  As far as your pot , kettle comment, well it doesn't even make sense because you still have to work out the difference between comments and turning them into accusations, it seems you are quite familiar when it comes to the pot, stirring would be your speciality.
I am also quite certain that the guy i posted to wasn't offended at all as his comments were civilised, unlike yours.
These bikes were the first superbike and yes it pains me to see good examples reduced to something less than the original just to suit a fad, in another few years these old Honda's will be the next Vincent, and good examples will be worth a small fortune as they already are in Australia, New Zealand and lots of other countries.  At least the OP didn't read anything that didn't exist into my post just to start some crap. He probably also doesn't need anyone else speaking on his behalf....... ::

I don't care if it is to you but don't tell me what I'm doing wrong with my bike. If you purists want to barf your garbage all over our brains the best way to do it is probably not by trashing someone's build thread. I for one think Oasis' build is tasteful and awesome. But even if I didn't I would just stay out of his build thread.

More made up bull#$%*, work it out mate, we are on the INTERNET, anyone can post what they like and nothing i said,  was offensive to the OP, nor did i tell anyone what to do with their bike. Go take some comprehension lessons and try again......

Sorry for the hijack Oasis but i hate fools twisting my words just to make them selves feel superior.......

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 06:26:03 am »
Blah blah blah. I know what you said.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 07:13:25 am »

pretty sure they are 4.0 x 19 for the front and 4.5 x 18 for the back.    That's what I have on mine and they will fit - **but - the front fender and fork brace won't fit.

To figure out the outside diameter of a tire on a rim you can sometimes find it posted on the internet site for that tire company but here is a way to do it yourself.

Lets say the tire is a 100/90-19.
Here is the formula for outside diameter.

.90 x 2=1.8 x 100=180( devided by)25.4=7.0+19"=26" diameter

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:27 pm »

Awesome, just as i expected...... ::)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »

Read it again.
I did not tell anyone what to do.
I just said what I would do. Thats all.
I did not tell you what you should  do.
I am one person NOT a crowd.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:15:17 pm by lucky »

Offline Goldbug

• Hot Shot
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »

Awesome, just as i expected...... ::)

Well we could go back and forth over and over and not accomplish anything if you'd prefer. Frankly, I thought your comments were somewhat tactless in a guy's build thread. I may be inferring something that's not there. And maybe I'm just completely misunderstanding you. But what you said rubbed me the wrong way in this venue. Take it or leave it. I'm not going to change my mind.

I see no real reason to take this any further. We're going to have to agree to disagree. I don't hold grudges.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 07:20:02 am »
 IMO the 750 will NEVER be the next Vincent..

more like Triumph twins X 6..or Norton twins X 9.. I mean, they are a rather plentiful bike...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:03 am »

more like Triumph twins X 6..or Norton twins X 9.. I mean, they are a rather plentiful bike...

I agree that the CB750 will never be in the league of the Vincent.
But the CB750 was the first Japanese superbike. It was VERY innovative for its time.
disk brake, electric start, color coded wiring, did not leak, and  very reliable.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 02:35:22 am »

Maybe in your part of the world Frank but they are pulling really good money everywhere else.  I saw a K2 that would sell for maybe 1500 tops stateside go for 12 grand here, that may not be the norm but it is the future. Also, in the 1980's i worked in a large bike shop in Sydney, we were crating restored 750's and sending them off to Japan then,  and they were selling  for a small fortune and we couldn't keep up with demand, may not be the next Vincent but they will definitely {if not already} be iconic.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 08:23:21 am »
12 grand might get you a really busted up Vincent motor
 Take a good core bike, restore it, subtract that from 12 grand, Is that a exorbitant sum?

A lot more folks can afford 750s than Vincents.. and there are barn fresh ones showing up weekly..

Iconic and desireable, does not always mean rare.

If they were as tough to find as say a Vincent, you would see far less of them being  butchered these days.
  The Vincent stock has a look that appeals to a lot more people than the stock 750 look..IMO
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way