Author Topic: Carb sync issue  (Read 1084 times)

Offline sky56

• would you like to see my
  • Chgo winters can suck but great time to wrench
Carb sync issue
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:33:23 pm »
So I'm syncing my carbs today and for the most part everything went smooth. However after adjusting them repedetly I could not get carb number 1 to sync up like the others. I cleaned them very thoroughly and I'm not getting any leaks. I snapped a pic of what the carb tune looked like. Also I used my infa red thermometer in the same spots on my exhaust pipes (I'm running 4 individual pipes) and pipe 1 was running 260 pipe 2 was 120 pipe 3 was 120 as well and pipe 4 was 240. If anyone has anything thoughts on why this is I'm all ears. I'm running NGK D8EA plugs and all 4 are gapped to 0.7. I'm also running DOHC coils. Hope this helps. Thanks for the help in advance

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/skylong569/62ea2a36.jpg
Many honda bikes and a lifted 75 Chevy K5

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
Re: Carb sync issue
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:41:34 pm »
Check your points are ajusted right and not badly pitted. Pots 1 & 4 being hotter - maybe coil or points and you have a set of points and a coil - for that 2 pots..right? Can also be just coincidence. Check float levels are consistent.

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:48:48 am »
When you say cleaned thoroughly, were your idle jets squeaky clean?  Can you see light through them?

I did a clean on mine ran the bike for a couple weeks (with a rusty gas tank)...  When I finally shelled out $70 and replaced the petcock (because the PO broke the hex piece off the bowl and glued it back on) i noticed there was NO screen in the petcock.
Needless to say there was rust in my carbs again and 1/4 were semi-plugged and running lean and HOT.

I pulled the carbs re-cleaned everything, set float heights (which i didn't know to do the first time), and synced the carbs up again.  runs great now.  Idles mint at 1,000Rpms, even heat at all headers.  Much cooler on eacah header than before... wouldnt want to hold my hand on it but just touching it real quick doesnt scald me like it used to.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline sky56

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:51 pm »
I might end up recleaning them but they were looking good when I put them back together and I could see light through the jets. Thanks for the input so far guys

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
Try syncing all the carbs to #1. See if you get some response that way.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:39:00 pm »
What do the plugs look like?
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »
with the morgan carbtune, also try flipping the carbtune upside down.  I see all of your bars are very low.  Flipping it takes out the gravity on the equation and the carbtune is a little more precise on the small end of the pressure spectrum. (the bars are spring loaded so they will all "zero out" when upside down).

Try swapping vac lines too, you might have a leak in the hose or something too.

Offline wrenchmuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
+1 on a leak somewhere . When you blip the throttle does #1 still sit at the bottom? When you hook up a light to check timing is 1-4 advanced more than 2-3 . The temp difference is strange . I think dohc coils are low resistance . 2-3 ohms ? This will cause increased arcing at the points and shorten their life . If the spark voltage is higher widening the plug gap might help smooth out idle roughness . I gap plugs at .040 in. with my Dyna 3 ohm coils and Dyna S trigger .
CB750K1
CB750K4

Offline sky56

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »
Ok we tried the flipping of the carb tune and all the meters flow. We tried switching the lines too. There was good vaccum on all but number 1 (it had vaccum but it was weak). When I hit the throttle all the meters jumped but number 1 stayed a little lower

Offline wrenchmuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »
Low vacuum can be from a incorrect valve adjustment (valve always open ) . Burned exhaust valve . Head gasket leak . Intake manifold not sealing properly ( most likely ). Slide on number one could be way off to the others ( also very likely ) . I think you should pull the carbs , bench sync , and check the manifolds at he same time . I have new manifolds but the old clamps allowed them to leak . I bought stainless gear clamps from West Marine (they are a little narrower than standard gear clamps ) and now they seal fine >
CB750K1
CB750K4