Author Topic: best way to lap float valve needle?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline slowjo

• Enthusiast
best way to lap float valve needle?
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:24 pm »
Whats the best way to lap float valve needles? I skipped this step when I cleaned my carbs so off they go.

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
Re: best way to lap float valve needle?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »
A machinist friend of mine told me toothpaste works... also valve grinding compound should work.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline slowjo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:03:42 pm »
On my CB750 K1 do I remove the valve seat, then lap.? Or do I lap the seat while its still in the carb? What tool should I use for this?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:05:54 pm »
A Q-tip works.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:59 pm »
You can take out the valve seat so as not to get any grinding compound ( toothpaste ) in the carb body..... what to lap it with ??..... why the valve , of course !!! The object is to 'match' the valve tip to the valve seat for no leak seal, so put the valve in the end af a short piece of plastic tube ( spring end ) sized for a snug fit, put the other end in your cordless drill and run it forward and reverse with the t. paste in the seat.... ;)
This method only works for metal tipped ( earlier ) float valves  :)
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....