Author Topic: Electrosport ESR240 Regulator/Rectifier wiring  (Read 4891 times)

gsnorcal

Electrosport ESR240 Regulator/Rectifier wiring
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »
Hi,

I've got one of these Electrosport ESR240 combined reg/rec. However, I am wiring a new harness from scratch, so the "plug-and-play" instructions have me a little stumped. According to their instructions, their wires are:

RED: Positive
GREEN: Ground
YELLOW: Phase input from stator
BLACK: Original sense input for regulator
WHITE: Field output for alternator

Here's a simplified wiring diagram containing only the essential charging system items:

Anyone understand the ESR240 enough to have me not blow this thing up?

(I did some Google "site:forums.sohc4.net" searches, but I didn't stumble across anything too helpful)

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Electrosport ESR240 Regulator/Rectifier wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:50:57 pm »
Yellows each go to a yellow alternator stator coil wire, doesn't matter which one. The stator is the big outer coil that sits outside the rotor.
Green goes to ground and to the green alternator field coil wire (if you have two whites, pick either one of the whites). The field coil is the small one that sits inside the rotor. If you have a multimeter, check if this green wire connects to the case. If so, and you bolt the case onto the frame, this connects the ground and you don't have to connect the green to ground again.
White goes to the white field coil wire, or the other one if you have two whites.
Red goes directly to battery "+", the alternator output comes from this wire.
Black goes to switched ignition power. If you connect it directly to battery "+" the alternator will work fine, but it draws power and will drain your battery flat in an hour or so after stopping the engine. It gets switched power so as to cut off this load when the key is off.

gsnorcal

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »
Thanks Bodie.

Dave

Offline Dyrden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:36:54 pm »
I know this is old but it helped a lot.  THx

Offline lwahples

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:18:35 pm »
+1

Offline hairball29

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:54:57 pm »
Thanks. I've been staring at the original wiring diagrams for ages trying to understand the black wire