Author Topic: 1976 CB750 Super Sport Cafe Project - Nickname: 754c  (Read 14641 times)

Offline Willy_754c

1976 CB750 Super Sport Cafe Project - Nickname: 754c
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:46 pm »
Hello all.  Glad I found this sight, tons of great tech and ideas.  Thought I would document the fun and frustrations of this project.  This is my first go at a project like this, any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. 
Here is what I got:
'76 CB750F1 Super Sport. 20k miles.  Been sitting in storage for 15 years.  Pros: Complete, Straight, running when put away.  I also like the SS for the F&R Disc brakes.  Cons: It was stored with 1/3 tank of gas....for 15 years.  Turned over OK, seemed to have good compression, but everything else was jammed and seized.  One other con I am finding is that the parts (especially the tank) seem to be much harder to come by.  I do like the look of the super sport tank though.
The goal:
End up with a clean, reliable, cafe that I can toy around with and add to over time, with reasonable minimal investment.
Right now, I am planning on keeping it as simple (and doable for a first project) as I can.  I will probably keep the stock side covers to avoid moving electrical, and will be trying to scrimp and save where I can.  (stock triples vs. billet, etc.)

I am calling it 754c (750Four, c=Cafe)  Probably not the most original, but I'm sticking with it.  I am thinking of tagging the side covers with 754c in race letters as a final touch.

I am planning on attacking this in 4 (probably fairly obvious) phases:
Phase 1: Get it running with minimal investment up front to ensure no major mechanical issues.
Phase 2: Purchase major items needed to complete mock up, seat, tank work, etc., and get the basic concept down.
Phase 3: Complete tear down, paint, powdercoat, polish, etc.
Phase 4: Assemble

I am still somewhat early into phase 1.  In my next post I'll detail the revival process. 

Here is what I am starting with:

Here is what I hope to end up with.  (courtesy of Carpy- He has some great bikes)

Offline bluesmoke69

• Hot Shot
Re: 1976 CB750 Super Sport Cafe Project - Nickname: 754c
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:48 pm »
Welcome and good luck with the project.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:12:06 am »
Those  early "F" models with spoked wheels are getting rare, i hope you are not going to butcher the frame and screw it all up. In my opinion that old girl should be restored, not cafe'd. That is a good original bike, i wish you guys would cafe basket cases and leave the good ones alone......
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:14:36 am »
I cannot disagree with Retro on this one.  What you have is a complete Sulpher Yellow Cb750F1.  This bike, when set up properly is one of the best handling, most comfortable and dead reliable bikes of the era. 

If it were mine - which it is not - I would restore it.  Sulpher Yellow is easy to mix by a good body shop, and you can get the decals from Repro...  The seat can be fixed, and your exhaust looks great.  All the hard to source parts are in great shape.

Your Goal:
"End up with a clean, reliable, cafe that I can toy around with and add to over time, with reasonable minimal investment.
Right now, I am planning on keeping it as simple (and doable for a first project) as I can.  I will probably keep the stock side covers to avoid moving electrical, and will be trying to scrimp and save where I can.  (stock triples vs. billet, etc.)"

Get that bike up and running, do the cosmetic stuff and you will have surpassed your goal!

Just my $.02, I will shut up now.  At any rate, we all look forward to your progress of keeping these great bikes on the road!

And, of course...  PICS, LOTS OF PICS!!!!

Gersh

1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:56:59 pm »
Go for the cafe all the way......and put me first in line to buy the exhaust system, it's way to bulky and heavy for a cafe bike. ;)

Actually itooks like it would be cheaper to do a stock resto on it. You only need the seat grab rail and the sidecovers are the bolt on replacements if you want to be real picky instead of the stock ones with tabs.  Must have had a luggage rack on it at one time.  It's just a bit of a bummer to see a complete survivor in nice condition (under all the grime) get altered.

Mine sat for 25 years with 1/3 tank of gas and while it took a bit of cleaning it was fine in the end so yours may be okay too.  It's a sweet riding and handling bike like dagerish says. 

The brakes are probably locked up but you can get all the rebuild kits needed and it's not too expensive.

I am serious about the exhaust, the whole thing or just the muffler if you reuse the header.  Looking for a spare as I like the stock system that many don't seem to care for.  I have the Antares Red 76F1
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:58:32 pm by srust58 »

Offline Willy_754c

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »
Guys - I feel like I have to go on the defensive a little.  I just found a deal on a bike, and I'm turning it into something I want.  I'm not the curator of a Honda museum.  If anyone wants to save this survivor, speak up and make me an offer, I am just looking to make a cafe.  I like the style of them.  I have had some older stock Hondas, and I want something different. 

RetroRocket - If its too painful to watch me "butcher" and "screw it up", then go follow someone else's post. 

The tank, although it looks great on the outside, is a trainwreck on the inside.  I worked and worked trying to clean it with traditional methods, electrolysis, shot, etc.  I also tried out Metal Restore.  All with no luck.  The metal is very pitted.  I finally had it boiled, and it still have tons of scale left on the inside.  I was planning on fabbing in a different fill cap, so I went ahead and cut the lock recess part to allow access to get in an clean properly. (I have a feeling I am going to get some flak for that)

Here is what I have it so far:
Cleaned carbs.  Still all stock, got away without rebuild kit for now to get it running
Brakes were completely locked.  I was able to get them apart, cleaned and working.  As with the carbs, I'll be getting some rebuild parts, seals, etc., when I finish it up.
got a donor tank for now.  replaced plugs, put some pod filters on(couldn't get stock air box apart) and she fired up.  I timed it, set the points best I could, and synced the carbs.  Rode it for about 1/2 hr.  Ran, but not all that well.  Not very much power, and power falls off hard when I get after it.  I think the pod filters leaned it out much more than I expected.  I also think the spark is very weak.  Seems to easily flood a cylinder and leave it cold pretty easy. 
I'll update with more pics soon.  I am taking tons of them. 

Gersh - we can deal on any parts I don't use.  I am planning on selling anything I don't use for what I end up with.  I am planning on new full exhaust system, so I will not need any part of the stock pipe.  This pipe will clean up great. 

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »
RetroRocket - If its too painful to watch me "butcher" and "screw it up", then go follow someone else's post. 

Its a public forum dude,  Its not painful to watch and i never said that, its just a shame so many good bikes are getting butchered...Which is pushing prices up quite fast....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Tanqueracer

• "You can't step into Victory Lane with your foot on the Brake"
  • www.yanquetanque.com
    • Yanque Tanque racing
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »
Another .02 cents worth. Keep it STOCK. I had one of those new in 1975. It was a great bike!. ;D
Looks like everything is there, so why mess it up? It'll never be worth as much if you cafe it. Of course you have to do what your heart tells you to do, so do what you like with it, as it is your decision.
Here's a pic of my mostly stock '75.
Good luck no matter what you decide 8)
"The older I get the faster I was"!

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:45:09 pm »
Bummer on the tank.  Funny how one can survive the same treatment and one just falls apart.  With mine sludge buildup was the hardest to get out and corrosion was minor after 25 years about 1/3 full.  I wonder if you have the remains of a failed liner in there on top of the corrosion. 

Offline Willy_754c

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »
WOW, I am jealous of that tank.  That is the biggest con to my project right now. 

I think you might be right on the liner. The rust on mine is the worst along the backbone.  Actually the rest is in decent shape, and should clean.  I just hate that the worst part is the part I have to look at each time I will fill up. 

Here is a better picture of my tank the day I got it:

Here is where I am at now:

This is the style of cap I am looking to fab in.  Although I am still looking around at others.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:16 pm »
EvapoRust  has good reports by members here for cleaning tanks.  Available at Home Depot/ Fleet farm/etc.  Electrolysis works too but is a bit more complicated and time consuming.  Then maybe a judgment call on your part as to whether it has been compromised enough to use a liner system on it.  I think it looks salvageable and anything you buy (unless you spend $$$) may not be any better.

Yeah, I lucked out with my tank.  The whole thing is as clean as what you see through the fill hole.  I drain and store it indoors in the winter.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:43:31 pm by srust58 »

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12:31 am »
get a gall of prep and etch from the paint dept at home depot. worked wonders for me. take petcock out and plug it with a rubber stopper. swish it around for about an hour leaving the tank at different angles. this produces hydrogen gas so keep away from open flame and use the stock gas cap as it has a vent in it and the tank wont explode. drain prep and etch back into bottle. you can use it on some other stuff if you need to. thouroughly rinse tank with water. then dump some baking soda solution into the tank to neutralize any more acid. pour about a cup of acetone into tank to get out any remaining water. voila clean tank. or if you are repainting the tank just take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it.
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline fatkid

• you cant undo whats already been done. so just ask
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »
GOOD LOOKING OLD GIRL I TO JUST STARTED A 76 F PROJECT KEEP US POSTED I HAVE NOT GOT MINE RUNNING YET. WORKING ON CARBS. MY BRAKES ARE ALSO STUCK . GOT MY FRONT MASTER APART AND BACK TOGETHER BUT NEEDS A REBUILD. THE REAR I AM STILL TRYING TO GET APART. SRUST58 HAS A MAGIC TABLE THAT GETS THEM APART BUT NO SURE WAY SO FAR FOR ME. HAS BEEN SOAKING FOR A FEW DAYS NOW SO HOPEFULLY I WILL BE ABLE TO GET A FITTING THREAD INTO IT AND MAYBE A GREASE FITTING PUT IN TO PUSH IT APART WITH THE GREASE GUN. IF NOT I WILL TRY THE PORTA POWER BUT REALLY DONT WANT TO BLOW IT APART. MAYBE WE CAN POST TOGETHER TO SHOW HOW TWO BIKES THAT STARTED THE SAME WILL BE SO DIFFERANT AND YET SO IN STYLE ON THERE OWN STANDARDS

maduncle

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:22 pm »

What a great bike for a cafe project.

Having just got my F2 to the 'phase one' point as you describe (although I think I actually went all the way to third base with her if you really want to know) I fully support your choice to customise it up a bit and make it your own.

Keep us all posted with plenty of pics. I have a good tank here in Australia that I will be listing on eBay soon if the person with first offer rights doesn't want it - problem is it would cost several arms and legs in postage to get it to you.

pat english

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 03:02:20 am »

Its a public forum dude,  Its not painful to watch and i never said that, its just a shame so many good bikes are getting butchered...Which is pushing prices up quite fast....

agreed...you can also make a bike look like a "cafe racer" without "cutting up"anything...

pat english

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 03:05:13 am »
GOOD LOOKING OLD GIRL I TO JUST STARTED A 76 F PROJECT KEEP US POSTED I HAVE NOT GOT MINE RUNNING YET. WORKING ON CARBS. MY BRAKES ARE ALSO STUCK . GOT MY FRONT MASTER APART AND BACK TOGETHER BUT NEEDS A REBUILD. THE REAR I AM STILL TRYING TO GET APART. SRUST58 HAS A MAGIC TABLE THAT GETS THEM APART BUT NO SURE WAY SO FAR FOR ME. HAS BEEN SOAKING FOR A FEW DAYS NOW SO HOPEFULLY I WILL BE ABLE TO GET A FITTING THREAD INTO IT AND MAYBE A GREASE FITTING PUT IN TO PUSH IT APART WITH THE GREASE GUN. IF NOT I WILL TRY THE PORTA POWER BUT REALLY DONT WANT TO BLOW IT APART. MAYBE WE CAN POST TOGETHER TO SHOW HOW TWO BIKES THAT STARTED THE SAME WILL BE SO DIFFERANT AND YET SO IN STYLE ON THERE OWN STANDARDS

please stop yelling....

Offline fatkid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »
hey a little idea for ya if you are having trouble getting that rear master apart get a grease fitting and put it in the line out side then fill it full with a grease gun . did mine tonight pushed it right out

Offline Willy_754c

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 07:24:20 pm »
Update--
I'm still working on getting it tuned up and running well to ensure I don't need to rebuild anything on the motor.  I got it running fairly quickly after cleaning the carbs, but it's not running well yet.  Still learning the fine details of a coil/points/condensor system, and how to revive and tune it.  Just want to know it will (or atleast was) running OK before I pull the motor and start paining.  I woudn't mind tearing it down to work on it if needed, just don't want to find this out after I have it all painted.
I used a 1 gallon "Carb Medic" carb cleaner setup.  It comes with a little steel basket.  I thought it worked really well.  The carbs came out nice, clean and shiny with little to no scrubbing.  I also disassembled the entire stay plate and cleaned/lubricated it.  (take several pics if you need to do this, it helped me get it back together)Carbs before/after:

My biggest hurdle initially on getting it running was the start switch.  It was not working.  I tore it apart, and put a simple toggle on for now.  I have this on another thread, and some people have told me how to make this better.  Heads up for anyone with the same issue, the headlight runs through this switch. 

I am working from a donor tank right now as my tank needs A LOT of work.  First pic is what I dumped out of the tank when I got it.

Here are my plans for the upcoming weeks--
-I got adapters for my compression tester, going to check and document current status of compression as-is today just to know, and also look for any head gasket issues. 
-Adjust valves, re-check compression if anything was out of whack. 
-put in new capacitors, new plug caps, possibly new wires, get the ND plugs Hondaman recommends, clean points, re-time.  See if this gets some good spark back, and takes care of the dead cylinde problem I have been having. 
-re-synch carbs.  (picked up Motion-Pro CarbSynch pro, like it so far)
If all goes well, and she seems to run good, it will be time for tear down.

I initially put on some inexpensive pod filters, but realized after a quick ride that this affected jetting much more than I realized.  I have since put the original filter back on.

I see some darkening around the head gasket on the outside of the cylinder.  I have seen some posts talking about "seeping".  Not sure if this is what it is, or if I'm due for a new one.  Ill be doing some reseach on this as well. 

I did get my brakes un-stuck and working.  Not completely rebuilt yet, but working.  To get them unstuck, I pumped them out with the master itself.  I got as much of the old fluid out in the resovoir, and put new in.  The front was easy (single piston).  On the back,(dual-piston) I did the same, but it obviously un-stuck one at first.  I then stopped, then blocked the one that freed first by putting some steel bars across the caliper to hold that one back until the other freed.  I sort of did that back and forth until both were 90% out then they came right out.  I found hard, dry, crusty brake fluid in the caliper cylinders.  I carefully and lightly scraped these with a pick to remove, then a light polish with scotch-brite.  I left the seals in for now, until I get the rebuild kits.  Pistons were pitted enough that I will be getting replacments once I rebuild these.

I also adjusted the cam chain early on as I had some noise.  I took it apart to make sure it was free to move properly.  I thought I heard noise, but I am learning that I need to have it tuned well first as this could cause what sounds like cam chain noise.  Another thing I will be researching is if anyone recomends cam chain replacement at 20k mileage (if its a known issue that it may just be time to do it, or if it is a "ain't broke don't fix it type of thing)  I took a pic as I questioned if the end of the adjuster looked OK.  It appeared to have the rubber coating worn off, but I don't know if this means anything. 

Of course, to keep myself motivated and like any good project, I am buying things I will have no need for for a very long time:

Offline JoeHip

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:44:00 am »
#$%* stock! bring on the hacksaw...
good luck with the cafe mods
'76 750F1

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 12:29:47 pm »
That tank will work.... Mine was worse and it worked out. You have a few different options.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »
Guys - I feel like I have to go on the defensive a little.  I just found a deal on a bike, and I'm turning it into something I want.  I'm not the curator of a Honda museum.  If anyone wants to save this survivor, speak up and make me an offer, I am just looking to make a cafe.  I like the style of them.  I have had some older stock Hondas, and I want something different. 

I agree, and anyway whats in need of butchering? Just throw on some club-mans and do minor things. You don't HAVE to cut into the frame to make a cool cafe!
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline fatkid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 06:44:14 am »
he willy check out this bike on ebay . may give ya some ideas . its a k but i think it pretty sweet

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/160625047491

Offline LostSoul86

• KMA Sales, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:29 pm »
If you're still having trouble with the tank rust, I used this in a customers '67 Suzuki X6 Hustler tank that was full of rust and came out looking almost new (I say almost because there was a little bit of pitting from 12+ years of sitting)...  http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gel-rust-dissolver-gallon.html
Andrew- 1978 CB750F Super Sport "Lucky 13"

Offline Willy_754c

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 07:43:52 pm »
Fatkid---I do like that one. 

My two favorites builds are BrandEn and Tweakin.  I hope they don't mind my reposting their youtube vid.  I can't watch it enough.  That is definitely what I am shooting for.  Clean, tight, perfect.  I probably won't go for the 836 right away, buy may down the road.  I think my engine is in very good condition for 20k, so I think I will forego the rebuild costs later. 

LostSoul86 - Thanks for the link.  I might try that out.  I am on the lookout for a replacement tank for this project still though.  I do think this can be saved, but I don't want put $$ into paint, filler, etc. with a weak inside.  I'd rather put up some money for a tank to save the extra work and hassle.  I have a lead on parts bike that is basically a frame/motor/wheels.  If I can get another tank, I'll shelf this tank for it. 

As far as restore vs. cafe, I do like both---Just want to go cafe with this project.  If I can end up with something half as nice as the video below, I will be happy.

1977 cb750f / 1978 cb750f

Update on the build---
I am still a little stuck on phase I.  I think the motor is solid, I have had it through the gears, I checked 130 psi across all 4 cold.  I am just having trouble getting it to run decently, or enough to make me feel good enough to tear it apart.  I suppose it can be tuned and tinkered with when I re-assemble, but I just feel like I should have a good handle on this before I get to that point. 

My last work on it included new points, condensors, 5k caps.  I got it running, but horribly.  I gapped the points, and thought I had it very close.  I tried to time it, but ran into some odd.  I put my timing light on #1, and got light, checked, and it was right on.  Went to #2, and could not get my light to light.  Same with #3, and #4.  Back to #1, light.  It was strange.  I screwed the cap tighter on #3, and got my light to light.  Tried to check timing for 2/3, and I think it was close but it was running so badly I had trouble keeping it running enought to time. 

Does anyone know if the plug wire has to be making a connection to the plug for the timing light to light? 

I decided to go back to the carbs.  I pulled them off.  Everything was still very clean (I am running a decently clean donor tank with a filter to run for now)  I pulled all of the bowls off.  No sediment, all looked clean.   I went ahead and pulled all the mains and slows and blew them out.  All were clear after blowing out.  (I don't think they were plugged)
After I had cleaned them originally, I had a couple of carbs leaking a little to the overflow.  I decided to go ahead and re-check the float height.  I decided to refer to the Clymer's manual.  It said float height should be 1.023" from the carb.  I set them all with calipers.  I had to move them all quite a bit to the fuel shallow side (taller from the carb)  Re-assembled, and I could barely get it to run.  Seems like it was starving badly for fuel. 
It was about 105 degrees and 90% humidity, so I had enough at that point. 

Anyone know if the 1.023" is anywhere near accurate, or should I skip right to the manual height check with clear hose on the drain? 

I think my next step is to go ahead and get the rebuild kits so I have new mains and slows, plus float valve and filters.  I also think I need to re-route the fuel line from my donor tank to get a straight down shot.  I think it has a slight uphill which might be hurting me. 

Time to break the credit card back out. 

Offline Willy_754c

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 06:47:27 pm »
They were Diiachi points.  I read the FAQ......I guess I am getting what i pay for :(
I think I will track down some TEC replacements.

I was not measuring from the gasket surface, I was measuring from the steps in the rim going around the outside.  This must be the issue.  I thought this was what the Clymer manual was showing, but it was not clear.  I will do it from the gasket surface.

Question - You mentioned ".....bottom of the float as it just makes contact with the needle valve" -----When the floats hit the needle valve, the weight of the floats completely compresses the small spring on the needle valve.  Is this correct, or should the spring be holding it up?  All of the springs spring, but don't hold up any weight of the float. 

I tried the static timing, but can't figure it out.  I can't figure out what to put the leads on to check for continuity.  I think I'll pick up a 12V light, seems like it would be easier than the multimeter. 

I did check the advance mechanism.  It looked very clean, and moved freely.  Sounds like the cheap points were really throwing me. 

Need to get carb kits & TEC points/condensors coming.   

Update on overall project:

Thanks to fatkid, I found a tank.  I had been keeping an eye on eBay and CL, but did not see this one until he pointed it out.  Bid on it twice and got it at the last second.  Like to tell everyone I got a steal, but I had to give a pretty penny for it.  But--my tank was bumming me out and holding up the whole project so I splurged to get back on track.  I should have it this week or next.  Story is that it has been off the bike and stored dry for about 32 years in a Bridgstone/Honday dealer's shop.  Minor oxidation, but light years better than my tank.  I will be cleaning this up, and keeping the original gas cap/lid. 
Also ordered 2 spare keys from Hondakeys.com.  I only had one, and it was ugly and chewed up.  I was only going to get one, but I figured better get two while I am at it--especially since they had the right key#.  Very decent price.  I'll just need to swap the tank lid lock from my tank and good to go. 
If it wasn't 150 degrees and 120% humidity here, I would get out and get some work done, but gonna wait til the heat wave is over. 

eBay pics: