Author Topic: '72 CB750K project nearing completion - few more questions  (Read 16785 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Re: *Updated 2/27* 72 CB750K My new/old project FINALLY PAINT !
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:02 am »
Getting closer....this weekend between yardwork etc... I was able to get a few more things back on the bike.   I cleaned the carbs (they were already pretty clean)
I figured they can never be clean enough.  Cleaned and repainted my air cleaner and got the carbs & air cleaner back on.  Got the majority of the wiring harness in
place.   So I'm getting pretty close...The main thing that I'm going to try this week is to re-finish the handle bar controls...Got them apart last night.  Hopefully I'll be able to get them back together the way they should be....wish me luck.    I sure wish I had a time machine to go back and pick one of these up brand new.....It's a completly different bike with everything cleaned,
painted and polished...

Mr Honda really designed a little art into these beasts.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:56:26 pm by greenjeans »
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Re: *Updated 2/27* 72 CB750K My new/old project FINALLY PAINT !
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:56 am »
Latest stumbling block.....Linkage for the front drum.  Of course I let it sit until it's just about ready to fire up....

See this post for what the deal is:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=48520.0

Any suggestions ?

I was able to get the pipes on and all the wiring sorted out - at least I think I did.   Didn't get to fire it up - just ran out of time.
Got the handlebar controls refinshed and cleaned.    Installed new grips and the bars and levers.

A punchlist of what's left:

1.  Sort out linkage for front brake.
2.  Get shorter cables  (clutch & front brake)
3.  Possibly find some new oil lines  (mine look like crap)
4.  Go over all the nuts and bolts & make sure they are all tight & torqued properly
5.  New turn signals.
6.  Fire it up and ride again!

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Re: '72 CB750K project nearing completion - few more questions
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:37 am »
My only input would be to not worry about the alignment holes.  Get a new rod in there (I am sure you of all people could fab something up) and just try it.  Line them up parallel, bolt it up and see how the brakes feel. 

If you want,  I can come by and push you around the yard and you can try the brakes.  LOL
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 02:37:12 pm »
Finally sorted the wiring out !!!!   Hope to fire it up again this weekend.   Still need to machine a rod that will go on the front brake between the brake arms.
I'll try and roll it out in the sun and get some new photos with the pipes mounted etc.  Hopefully I can get a video with the sound of the new pipes this weekend as well.

It never seems like things take this long.  I'm envious of the guys that are able to bust out their rides quicker...

Offline cafeconleche

• Enthusiast
Re: 72 CB750K bobber/brat/cycle My new/old project
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 03:15:12 pm »
what size are the tires.......if ya don't mind me askin..................

Tires are 4.0 x 19 front & 4.5 x 18 rear

Where did you order the tires from?

Offline brycegp

• Hot Shot
    • 1971 CB750 "Mut-N-Chop" Cafe Project
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2009, 10:24:20 am »
Hey man!  What is the size on those Firestone Super Champions?  Great look!
1971 CB750K/F - El Toro
El Toro Build Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=73552.0

Offline mrosso

• Enthusiast
  • The before picture.
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 12:36:13 pm »
What size rims are you running with the front and rear tires? Will stock size work safely with 4.00 front tires?

Offline McQueen 750

• Yeah, I'm finally a
  • Time to ride
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »
+1

What's the size/width on those rims? I want to do the exact  same thing on mine :)
-1975 CB750F (Follow the thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88829.msg997640 )
-1978 CB750K8(Parts bike)
"Trust me you'll regret it, but you'll regret it more if you don't at least try it."

Offline brycegp

• Hot Shot
    • 1971 CB750 "Mut-N-Chop" Cafe Project
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 08:54:08 am »
man...i really need a couple tips.

Ive been scrubbing on my motor for about 4 hours now...and its not even close to clean.  can you walk me through the steps you took to

A: degrease the screases...between the fines...inside the plug holes...etc.  what tools / cleanering solution did you use to get in there??

B: how did you polish the casing pieces while ON the motor?  what tools did you use to polish them?  I was planning on removing the casing pieces and polishing but if I don't have to...what's the best way to polish while they are on the motor?

C:  once it was squeeky clean...what paint did you use...and what parts exactly did you spray?  did you really tape off the all polished pieces?

I know there are threads on cleaning...but everyone just says..."hey I did it"....not really HOW they did it.

Thanks man!
1971 CB750K/F - El Toro
El Toro Build Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=73552.0

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:13 am »
I was not there when he did it, but I am sure that he removed all of the polished pieces before painting. He has a polishing wheel.  First sand the piece with 800 then 1000 then 1200 then 1500 and if you really want the extra bling 2000.  Then polish on the wheel. 
As for the case, I believe he uses dublicolor engine enamel in aluminum finish.  Use some brushes to get in the fins, degrease like mad and then paint.   I know they make a engine primer too and that helps as well.   Make sure you get all of the grease and the degreaser off of the engine before you paint.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 12:18:57 am »
I really liked what you did with your CB750 congradulations!
Looks great.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 03:23:08 pm »
BTW you can just use your spanner for your 4 inch grinder for the rear wheel hub bearing retaininer.

DeWalt brand

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 72 CB750K bobber/brat/cycle My new/old project
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2011, 02:04:36 pm »
I decided that I just had to have some of those vintage tread Firstone Super Champions,  found some at Coker Tire.  I wanted to kinda camoflague the bike
somehow, so it wasn't immediatly noticeable as a Honda, so I decided to try and run a front drum brake on there....

I know that this make no earthly sense at all, I just liked the looks of them.  So I found one here for $40.   Of couse it looked like it had been stored at the
bottom of a lake:   Spokes had been torched out !!!

That was a weekend project just to get it cleaned.    I got some new bearings and shoes and polished and bead blasted the drum and now it
looks quite respectable.   Went ahead and put new bearings and shoes on the back as well.

It is too bad that someone cut the spokes out of that hub with a torch.
That was not a good idea. Not only can it cause damage. but you still have to get the spoke out of the hole and that melted glob may not fit through the hole. Cutting them with a pair of bolt cutters is faster ,less expensive, and the ends will slip out of the holes.