Author Topic: 750 k5 - electrical problems - going through fuses  (Read 883 times)

Offline Stevenarrow

750 k5 - electrical problems - going through fuses
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:21:49 pm »
Hello,

My bike got caught out in a HUGE rain storm late one night a couple weeks ago. While it was pouring I tried to start the bike and i blew the main fuse. I then waited a couple days to let it dry out a bit and replaced the fuse -- the bike started and idled fine but then the fuse blew as soon as the bike started moving. I got it home and it has been parked for about three weeks.

I replaced the fuse and started it up yesterday -- again the fuse blew as soon as it started moving.

I'm assuming its a short somewhere in the wiring and that i should be able to track it down by cleaning up the wiring harness and checking all the connections. I was also going to replace the clip-in fuse holder with an in-line screw type fuse holder as well. There were zero electrical issues before the rain storm; although the wiring is a little mickey-mouse in places.

So my question is, am i on the right track or should i be worried about any larger electrical issues?

any help is appreciated -- as the weather is finally looking good I'd like to get out on the road this weekend...

thanks

Offline Stevenarrow

Re: 750 k5 - electrical problems - going through fuses
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 01:31:52 pm »
fixed.

Offline osirisdean

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06:59 am »
just out of curiosity, what was the culprit?
"We're not here because we're free; we're here because we're not free." -- Hugo Weaving

Offline Stevenarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »
not sure exactly. I did the in-line fuses and pulled a new main harness. i also cleaned up all and any frays or bad connections. It fired up right away.