Author Topic: Wisconsin 1975 CB750 needs work  (Read 1695 times)

Offline nwalpha

Wisconsin 1975 CB750 needs work
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:16 am »
Hi All,

I am a new member. I bought a 2006 honda rebel this riding season. It was good transportation, but lacked power. I hated getting passed at 55 mph posted speed limits and knew passing someone going 65, when I had a max speed of 70 made me not like the rebel too much.

I am all about Honda cycles though. So I bought a CB750 + a bunch of misc parts from a guy for about $650. I think I overpaid now. Indeed I sold my rebel to fund this project.

Parts I need include a front brake caliper, so if you have one, please PM me. If you are a CB750 rider/ mechanic in the wisconsin area, PM i could use your help.

Anyways, this will be my first work as a mechanic. I work at an autoparts store, so I know parts, I just dont actually use them that often.

Its gonna be ugly for while and hopefully someday road worthy.

The first PROBLEM i found was when refilling the oil after draining it, the oil would not leave the sump. I dont know why. Any ideas?

EDIT: I did some research on the oil issue I was having. I see that was how the bike was designed...a bit different from my rebel. Once my spark plugs come in the mail today, I will install them and see if it runs!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:46:01 am by nwalpha »

Offline oldk6guy

• old bike
  • Enthusiast
  • is this ever really done?!
Re: Wisconsin 1975 CB750 needs work
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:45 am »
welcome to the forum, i'm still a newb but i'll be glad to help a fellow wisconsinite as much as i can.  also, i dont think you over paid.  i have seen some real basket cases sell in the 350 to 400 range and it looks like you got much better than a basket case.
76 cb750 k6: 4 into 4 exhaust, open air horns on carbs.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:05:00 pm »
Welcome. I'm not generally a big fan of the fenderless look, but it does appear that you got a good deal.

You really shouldn't need to wait for new plugs to start it (unless of course it didn't have any to begin with). Clean and gap the ones it came with and see what happens.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline bluesmoke69

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »
Welcome and good luck with the project.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »
Welcome from Texas! Looks like you have a solid bike to start with.

One thing puzzles me - you work at an auto parts store but your plugs are coming in the mail?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:45:44 pm »
Welcome! Looks like a decent project bike.
I live on the West side of Madison and have a workshop out in Sun Prairie right now. I've currently rebuilt two of the 750 (both later models) from the ground up. So if you need a hand, I've got a pretty good feel for these bikes.
Let me know.

Dave

Offline nwalpha

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 05:54:56 am »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies...I'm glad to hear I may have not over paid. This economy is rough and you can tell by the prices people are asking for things. My first purchases for the were a battery, plugs and rear tire. I am going for bikes mechanics first, then looks.

The tire I bought was a Dunlop K81 Vintage Motorcycle Tire....is that good enough? Or should I return it for a different one?

Anyways, Its awesome to see so much love for these old bikes. I too dislike the fenderless look. Luckily I have the front and rear fenders blacked out, waiting in my basement to be installed. I am moving the bike from my lawn up north, to a empty garage. That way I can disassemble it without having random pieces leave my yard.  ;)

Parts of the rebuild I am nervous about are mounting the signals, and if the engine runs. I am gonna make a video of me kicking the bike over for the first time. That should be posted shortly after this post. I have to run out and get some gas.

I already took the outer plugs out of the bike, but the inner were being tricky to get to. I am going to look up how to remove the tank. I should be good to go then. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: No go on trying to start it today. I took the tank off and looked around....der....there was no fuel line and no fuel petcock present on the bike. I can get it one off Bikebandit (PN: 591247) for $72.43 + shipping...any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:31:18 am by nwalpha »

Offline Walt

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »
You could also check the vendor section on this forum, I found Western Hills Honda through there and they have been great to deal with and decent prices. You can also try David Silver spares, which is in the UK for items Western Hills may not have. Sometimes David Silver will also have reproduction parts that are cheaper. Good luck.

Walt
1977 Honda CB400
2005 BMW R1200 GS