Author Topic: piston coatings, are they worth it?  (Read 8343 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: piston coatings, are they worth it?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 07:18:57 am »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »
I may give this a shot on my trans.
Do you think you can cryo treat after you have applied a coating or should i do the coating later?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 12:55:27 pm »
I may give this a shot on my trans.
Do you think you can cryo treat after you have applied a coating or should i do the coating later?
(Pardon me if I'm posting out of turn)
Ask your Cryo tech. My guess would be they would say, why?  My other guess would be, after. Since the coating is not part of the metal, it likely won't shrink and expand at the same rate and may break the bond. JMWAG.

I'd ask, can you coat a trans part? Its not on the Swain's price list. Would a coating stand up to the loads?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:59:42 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:52 pm »
Sorry, my post was confusing. I want to cryo my trans. I have pistons that are already coated. I have rockers that i need treated, I guess there really would be no point in doing cryo and a coating.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 02:27:28 pm »
Sorry, my post was confusing. I want to cryo my trans. I have pistons that are already coated. I have rockers that i need treated, I guess there really would be no point in doing cryo and a coating.
Makes sense now. Seems the coatings have specialized applications like the heat shielding and the oil shedding that Cryo can't do. I'm reading the Swaintech website for edumication.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 06:55:21 pm »
i can ask the Swain tech guy that e-mailed me.  i'll get ahold of him and let you know what he says.

i think a good bet would be to have the rockers cryo treated and then do the coating on the pads.  this would help maximize strength and minimize friction, IMO.

but now that i think about it, i think coating the transmission would be able to handle stresses...
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »
Cyclex offer the transmission coating.
About half way down.
http://www.cyclexchange.net/Engine%20Parts%20Coating.htm
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 07:57:31 pm »
So who do you think they are sending their parts out too?

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 08:01:09 pm »
So who do you think they are sending their parts out too?
I think that the answer could be in Sam's reply #25. ;)
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 08:23:00 am »
From Swain tech:

Garrett,

We can coat the transmission gears and shafts.  It is rarely a high priority item as the long term benefits are not usually there.  The gears and shafts are usually hard enough that the surface profile achieved in the surface preparation process is limited which limits the adhesion of the coatings.  Initially you get good feel but over the long haul the transmission coatings do not tend to be as durable as coatings applied to parts which are soft enough to have the needed surface preparation such as a piston.  It would never hurt to have the parts coated but it is not likely to be a good long term proposition.  You may consider it if you are racing and looking for every little bit of help possible from coating.

Parts do need to be clean and fully disassembled.

Cryo is a good complementary process to our coatings.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:03 am »
From Swain tech:

Garrett,

We can coat the transmission gears and shafts.  It is rarely a high priority item as the long term benefits are not usually there.  The gears and shafts are usually hard enough that the surface profile achieved in the surface preparation process is limited which limits the adhesion of the coatings.  Initially you get good feel but over the long haul the transmission coatings do not tend to be as durable as coatings applied to parts which are soft enough to have the needed surface preparation such as a piston.  It would never hurt to have the parts coated but it is not likely to be a good long term proposition.  You may consider it if you are racing and looking for every little bit of help possible from coating.

Parts do need to be clean and fully disassembled.

Cryo is a good complementary process to our coatings.
That's a great response and confirms my suspicions. The coatings may be better on aluminum (cam bearings?) and serve different purposes at least in part, like heat shielding and oil shedding. On the trans, it will likely wear off, on a high mileage anticipated motor, not such good benefit. Cryo is forever.

On the trans, does not need disassembly for Cryo, even bearings can stay on and will benefit.

The last statement proves to me they are stand up guys. You've got to be realistic and honest with your customers when discussing a competing product/service.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline freedomgli

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:10 am »
I wouldn't do just the piston tops.  Have everything coated.  Remember thermal dynamics.  The total amount of heat in the combustion chamber is relatively constant and it doesn't all go out the exhaust port and exit via the exhaust system.  If you insulate the piston tops better than you might just be pushing the heat into the cylinder dome or the valves instead, shortening their life span as a result.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 06:05:34 pm »
Cycle X does offer a coating service for the combustion chamber, not sure about valves.  The intake would be cooled by the fuel charge.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 09:45:20 pm »
I don't know if the combustion chambers would be worth it for shipping the head each way...  I mean aren't there quite a few people who just coated their pistons?  I mean just the tops and undersides would be worth it for helping to keep the heat where it needs to be right?

Oh ya, 2000th post, wooo!