Author Topic: Re-solder contacts in Right hand ignition button? Possible to just kick start?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline AjG

• 2 Old Honda Fours and a 500 Twin
  • 750 SOHC(s)/500t DOHC
The cafe bar switch on the CB750 went soo smooth it scared me. Drilled em out and rerouted them in under an hour... it was too good to be true. I should have marked the wires and connections in the headlight. It is a rats nest in there. I know they are color coded but that doesn't seem to matter. I get them all hooked up and the bike starts when I turn the key (rather than just lighting up and then hitting starter button) and the starter just keeps turning over and over. 
I have tried 4 times to get this right and just can't find the right wiring combinations.
For those about to embark on changing bars..be sure to mark or tag your wiring connections before disassembly....ugh.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:20:28 am by AjG »

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
Re: Wiring Mess in the headlight
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:40:36 am »
... PO for my bike had replaced some of the connectors. Where some colored wires goes into the rats nest, they were taped up to different colored wires which met the connecters. Made it very tricky.

Fortunately the headlight is at just the right height to pull up a chair and work it out ... patience!  8)
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:45 am »
sounds like your starter button is touching all the time.  could just be the button.
In other words, your starter button could be stuck on, or in.
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:44:17 am »
sounds like your starter button is touching all the time.  could just be the button.

+1  or the wire is grounded...Larry

Offline AjG

• 750 SOHC(s)/500t DOHC
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:24:16 am »
Starter button not stuck.
Going to find a more comfortable chair for tonights attempt.
I do have different colored cables spliced on from Previous Owner....I assume I trace the base wire

Offline AjG

• 750 SOHC(s)/500t DOHC
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:25:58 am »
Also, Typically I have to depress clutch in order for starter button to fire.
Currently, Key turn fires starter without button or clutch....
I'm all messed up in there

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:38 am »
Ah, I'm into this mess right now as well with my 77. Get a wiring diagram and double check everything.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline octagon

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:29:38 pm »
here are some things that worked for me:
pin your wiring diagram on a piece of foamcore or plywood so you can reference it easily and pin notes beside it.
do a good search on wiring problems, and cut and paste what's relevant to you into a word document and print that out. there are four or five guys here on the forum that really know the electrics on these bikes.
look at the headlight bucket and try and visualize the wiring in groups - you've got a bundle coming in from the main harness, another from the left control, another from the right, the gauge light wires, etc. it looks like a mess but there is a design there.
take off the tank and side covers and trace the wires back and learn the whole harness. you'll save time and stress that way. future problems will be easier to deal with.
clean and lube all the connectors while you're at it, the bike will run better.

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:40:28 am »
just because your starter button isnt stuck, doesnt mean its not still grounding it on inside the housing.  Just a thought.
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:55:35 am »
Disconnect the yellow/red from the rh switch and see if that stops the starter.  If it does the problem is the switch grounded...Larry

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:55 am »
just because your starter button isnt stuck, doesnt mean its not still grounding it on inside the housing.  Just a thought.
yeah this seems likes the simplest place to start... pull the switch and give the bars a quick wrap with some electrical tape..... had this happen to my horn once in some rain in a parking lot... as soon as i turned on the key my horn was blaring everybody was staring at me like what? luckily i could just unplug it .. not the case here...... i always start with the most simple prob and then work my way to the complicated..... 90% of the time its one of the simplier problems.......
also if the edges of the hole you drilled for the wires are sharp it sould have shorted out there
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline AjG

• 750 SOHC(s)/500t DOHC
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:25 am »
Red and yellow wire was grounded to the bars as you fellas pointed out...
Now I have bigger problem. In loosening the right hand assembly to see where it was making contact the red and yellow and green and red wires came detached from their respective solder points in the bottom of the mechanism. So pissed at myself. The wires were in pretty tough shape, but I still messed this up good.
Is it possible to re-solder these (they are tiny) to the button? If not does anyone have a suggestion? These switch assemblies are proving hard to find and/or expensive.
Thanks for the information prior to this blunder!

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:54:38 am »
that switch house is a weak point, I'm gonna get something newer. my bud uses one from an R6. I think I'm going that route unless its going for the all orginal restoration treatment

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Red and yellow wire was grounded to the bars as you fellas pointed out...
Now I have bigger problem. In loosening the right hand assembly to see where it was making contact the red and yellow and green and red wires came detached from their respective solder points in the bottom of the mechanism. So pissed at myself. The wires were in pretty tough shape, but I still messed this up good.
Is it possible to re-solder these (they are tiny) to the button? If not does anyone have a suggestion? These switch assemblies are proving hard to find and/or expensive.
Thanks for the information prior to this blunder!

It is possible to resolder, I sure would try that before forking out the money for a switch.. As motocyconomad pointed out, you can adapt a later model switch-takes a bit of planning but it can be done....Larry