Author Topic: 1972 CB750 - A.K.A PROJECT "JuNK" PROGRESS/PICS/UPDATES--> Last Updated 9/11/14  (Read 51675 times)

Offline jevfro

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB750 K5
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS->LAST UPDATED 9/09/06 --> LATEST & FINAL TANK..
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2006, 11:45:05 pm »
I'm so pissed!  Your paint looks sweet!  I had almost the exact same idea! It's crazy, I've been telling my riding buddys that I was going to rhino line my tank for about a month or two now! And you probably don't believe this but I planned on using an old set of wings(similar to Jonesy's avatar) as a tank emblem! I've been scouring ebay for the right tank (a dunstall tank to match the seat I got of ebay back in june).  I did have a few variations on the look though... I was thinking I'd do the side of the tank gloss red first, and then make a mask/stencil of a oval with an old looking winged wheel, rihnoline or line-x it (I was going to try the roll-on hurculiner actually) and the pull off the mask (or sticker?) and it would be gloss red! Now I feel like I've got to rethink the whole thing just so I don't have a ProTeal rip-off bike!!! LOL it's insane! small world (or maybe just my small mind!)  Anyway, great job! I've reallystarted to  look-up-to your bike since I've been reading this thread! hopefully I can get serious about mine this winter! (finally getting a shop! and a house inside it!)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:21:29 am by jevfro »

Offline jevfro

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB750 K5
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS->LAST UPDATED 9/09/06 --> LATEST & FINAL TANK..
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2006, 01:27:03 am »
If we were neighbors we could start a club! or maybe thats a gang? I just wish I would have done it and posted the pics first!!!

HA!  Maybe sometime soon I'll do it to my old stocker to see what it looks like.  I think I might have to make my own dunstall replica tank, or perhaps just a cover out of fiberglass. can't seem to find one that isn't gunna cost a fortune to buy and ship from across the world.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2006, 06:36:08 am »
There's no such thing as a rip off SOHC. Everything you, me and everyone else is doing, has pretty much been done before. The permutation of parts & paint are what makes them personal to their respective owners.
Unless you guys are neighbors, I think you'll be alright.
I agree 100%. I am sure I am not the first guy to Line-X my tank, and I am sure I won't be the last.
The whole point of these bikes is that they end up very personal machines that reflect the owner/builder more so than a newer ride. Immatation is the best form of flattery their is...If you wanna line-x your tank, than knock yourself out. I know a killer guy who does it here in IL if you need a place..
I think I might have to make my own dunstall replica tank, or perhaps just a cover out of fiberglass.
Just remember that if you are gonna have the tank sprayed with Line-X or Rhino Liner (Line-X is MUCH better by the way) , the tank needs to be metal. If you rhino-lined your tank, it would rub off onto your jeans and cause a mess, cause it is to soft compared to Line-X..They can not spray plastic/fiberglass/etc becasue the material wont stock, and will eventually peel.Not sure about the do it yourself crap you can get at the autoparts store, but if you are gonna do it spend the $$ and have it dont right. I got my tank sprayed for a whopping $30, so it was well worth it.. ;D
I was wondering if you found more dirt/oil on your cloth and engine after you took off chain guard and front fender ? I upgraded the sprocket to 530 and my old chain guard is sticking way out so I was pondering were the oil will sputter if I take it out ..
I pulled the chain guard for looks more than anything.
You do get alittle spray offa it after a fresh oiling , but besides that it is no big deal.
As far as the front fender goes, riding around you would never know it is gone.
Get stuck in the rain, and you will for sure know their is nothing up their  ::)
The look is worth it (my opinion) , plus a stock fender isnt really an option anymore with
the 21'' fornt wheel I have going on...
Baggers are cool for old dudes I guess.
I plan to pickup a new RoadKing in the spring, so I guess that makes me old huh ?  ;D
I still plan to keep the CB, just want a bigger/more modern bike to cruise...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 07:02:44 am by ProTeal55 »
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2006, 07:52:08 am »
i have a panhead,the 750 and just bought my brothers sporster,so my next bike will be an e-glide of some sort.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2006, 11:50:01 am »
i have a panhead,the 750 and just bought my brothers sporster,so my next bike will be an e-glide of some sort.
Thats the way to do it (if you can).
Have a bike for every type of riding.

I will have the CB750 for city blasts and riding with the Ton-Up guys, and then the roadking
for longer trips and woman hunting 8)

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2006, 01:06:10 pm »
yep,thats what im goin for.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2006, 06:33:48 am »
9-16-06 @ 8:23am CST.....

Somehow I got suckered into working today, so I figured I would make the best of my time and take some current pics of my scoot(Sorry 4 them being so big - camera here suxs)
Weather was a bit "nippy" this morning on the ride in, but said to be in the lower 70's this afternoon..

I painted the sidecovers last night with a rattlecan truck bed liner stuff to try and match the Line-X, and I am not happy with the results. I am gonna sand them again and experiment with a few different texture paints until I get something that is closer..

Overall I am very happy with how the bike is turning out, especially from the way it looked when I purchased it. Now I just need to address the smoking at idle issue ::)

The building made for a good background I think...

ProTeal out....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 06:35:21 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS->LAST UPDATED 9/16/06 --> New Pics
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2006, 10:38:32 am »
That bike just looks so damned sweet, man. Well done.

Did you drill holes in the kick starter?
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2006, 03:00:38 pm »
Did you drill holes in the kick starter?
Why yes I did  ;D
I did it by hand with a reg. drill , so they arent the straightest, but they work.
Allot of people said the kicker would crack in 1/2 , but I kick the thing every time i start it,
and it has been fine thus far.I also drilled some holes in the arm that holds the rear brake rod thinge...

Offline gtyler5

• Enthusiast
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2006, 03:56:37 pm »
Yeah that does look really sharp. I tried some of that rattle can bed liner and it was crap too, seemed thiner than undercoating. You might want to try the stuff that comes in a can (if you can get it in a small can) and use a paint roller with a big nap, or I think the have some for textures now too. That is cool to know about the kick starter that thing weighs a ton and seems to be excessive, but everyone told me the same thing "it will break" .. How do you keep the holes from rusting?
1976 CB750F cafe
1978 CB750F (in progress)
1993 CB750 Nighthawk

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
rue the day you are in the middle of a kick and that mofo snaps and ends up with broke end in your calf...

two words...

metal fatigue
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2006, 06:35:00 pm »
NASTY.....
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2006, 10:25:31 pm »
How do you keep the holes from rusting?
It wasnt an issue untill the one time I got caught in the rain, now all the holes I drilled have surface rust on them.
Need to go in and do alittle cleaning - but it should be ok..
rue the day you are in the middle of a kick and that mofo snaps and ends up with broke end in your calf...
I do plan to allocate another kicker and drill a few holes 1/2 way thru to help keep some structure, as I dont want the thing to
end up in my calf when , and if it ever does break... :o

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2006, 03:34:22 am »
Nice looking bike mate, I wouldn't bother drilling holes in the kicker though, the weight savings would be minimal anyway. How do you go with clearance between the 21 inch front wheel and the headers under brakes though? Must be awfully close? ???
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
Believe me when I put that 21'' front wheel on , EVERYTHING was close.
I was worried about the wheel hitting the lower triple tree, and this, and that,etc..
I can say after riding the entire season with that tire on the front , I have had no issues what so ever
as far as interference/clearance issues  ;D The only thing that I scrape is the 4 into 1 on a RARE occasion.Usually going into and outta driveways, and the occasional slow speed dip in the road. I have gotten good about standing up on the pegs when I see a bump comming to try and pull some weight off the center of the bike. I had lots of practice doing this on my old Hardtail  ;D ::)

Decided to install my HD-Spin on oil filter adapter from Cycle-X today.
I removed the stock filter deal-e-o and O-ring.
Lubed the new o-ring that came with the adapter, and spun it on.

It has holes in it for tightening down. Basically you put a screwdriver in the holes, then use another
driver (i used a hex key) to put force on it and tighten it down. Once all was tight, I loaded the HD filter with oil,
dabbed alittle on the gasket and tightened away.

Now a filter change is a spin away - def. a good / cool / different mod worth the cash (my opinion...)

If I keep on adding HD aprts to my ride you guys are gonna talk to me anymore.... ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 07:56:21 pm by ProTeal55 »

• Really Old Timer ...
Very nice mate, even with that big ass filter. I'm building oil cooler adapters now using much smaller screw on filters which are easier to fit and remove, (one type of BMW filter I use comes with a 3/8" drive socket, so no burned pinkies) and don't sit so close to hot headers. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 9/20/06 - Steering Dampener Instal
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2006, 01:50:06 pm »
UPDATE 9-20-06

Played hookie from work today , and decided to mount up the new steering dampener I got last week.
I was going to mount the whole thing on the right side, but it looked like it was just thrown on their, so I decided to mount it across (as shown below)..

As far as the bracket , I took a trip to home depot and they had tons of them in the hardware isle.
I actually made two plates , so I could attach the bracket to the bike itself, and the dampener to that.
I did it the first way , and the whole thing moved when the bike was turned, plus I have this thing about
over-enginering things  ;D

Alittle black spraypaint over the brackets and hardware, and took it for a ride.
Has 5 settings, and after riding the bike on setting 1 , and then on 5 , their is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in how the bike feels , reacts to bumps, etc..  ;D Especially helps me because i have no front fender OR fender brace, so I think it holds stuff together very well.

For the money - def. worth it !
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:01:48 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 9/20/06-> Steering Dampener Install
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2006, 04:45:57 pm »
Hey PT looks good. What do you do when you need to turn full lock to the left?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 9/20/06-> Steering Dampener Install
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2006, 08:25:02 pm »
The way the dampener is mounted allows for full motion , from lock to lock.
With the bars turned all the way to the left, the inside part of the dampener gets pushed out of the "sleeve" , or whatever you wanna call it. When the bars are turned all the way to the right, it does the opposite.

I put about 10 miles on the bike after install, and made sure all was well before taking apart and locktiting everything..

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2006, 09:00:25 pm »
You really need to replace that black filter with the chrome model. About $9.00. Amazing you can get out of the HD dealer without spending a Hundred Dollars
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2006, 10:58:25 pm »

I saw the same thing, the problem is you got it back to front.
Teal man, yain't gonna be able to turn right with it set up like that.
If you have tested it like that, you must have made all left turns cos it sure as hell won't go right. ;D

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2006, 06:45:37 am »
I saw the same thing, the problem is you got it back to front.
Teal man, yain't gonna be able to turn right with it set up like that.
If you have tested it like that, you must have made all left turns cos it sure as hell won't go right. ;D
I made right turns , and hard / tight ones to boot on my little ride.
When the bars are turned all the way to the right, the dampener doesnt move all to much because
of where it is mounted to the triple tree. Believe me I made some hard right turns with no issues.
I mounted mine just like in the pics that SUPERBIKER UK  posted...
HIS PICS --->

THEN MY INSTALL ---->

When the bars are turned all the way to the right (throttle side), the inner chrome part of the dampener
will push "out" form the black casing/cover whatever u wanna call it. Because with the bars are turned right, the mounting point on the triple tree is moving the opposite way (it does make sense) ;D
Look at the pic, and visualize what will happen when the triple tree moves left to right...

When I get home tonight from work I will take pics of the dampener with the bars to each side, so you guys can see what I am talking about...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:54:00 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2006, 04:42:55 pm »
See below , as the bike is more than capable of making both right and left turns lock to lock...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 04:46:16 pm by ProTeal55 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2006, 06:59:51 pm »
Looks good mate, and much simpler than a weld on bracket, although perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing. I was trying to work out why your wheel rode so close to your headers, and then realised that you've got your clip on bars on top, so you've had to push your fork tubes up through your triples.

You might need to get some "swan neck" clip ons so you can push the fork tubes back to give your tire and your exhaust collector a bit more breathing space? I do like the clean look of that 21 inch front wheel though, I think I'll put one on my K1 Kruiser and build a fancy forkbrace to make up for the missing fender brace. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2006, 10:33:48 am »
You might need to get some "swan neck" clip ons so you can push the fork tubes back to give your tire and your exhaust collector a bit more breathing space?
I am 100% happy with how close the front tire & exhaust are. It is just about as close as you can get without having interfearance , which is just how i want this bike , nice and tight. I thought about moving the clip-on's to under the trree, but I dont wanna mess with the riding position of the bike. As it is setup now, I can go out all night and not have a sore back in the morning.

What I need is a pair or rearsets...