Author Topic: 1972 CB750 - A.K.A PROJECT "JuNK" PROGRESS/PICS/UPDATES--> Last Updated 9/11/14  (Read 51720 times)

Offline Chris Liston

• Expert
    • http://christopherliston.com
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS-->LAST UPDATED 5/12/2006
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2006, 05:38:57 pm »
Teal,

Check out some of the bonneville forums.  They have some nice solo seats deals still running the rear fender.  Might be something you'd be into.  Check out these shops for ideas too.  www.newbonneville.com   http://www.triumphrat.net/
2008 Triumph Speed Triple Black and NASTY
1976 CB550F Cafe in progress
http://christopherliston.com
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2402

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2006, 05:53:42 pm »
ProTeal, check this out! (I know it's a Yamaha but, check out the aluminum & the pipes)

http://www.650motorcycles.com/HansProst102.html

Later on, Bill
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:05:35 pm by bill440cars »
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2006, 06:47:47 pm »
Man..  That XS looks pretty cool!  I think for my bike I'm gonna try to duplicate the Thruxton seat cowl look.  Those cowls even pop up on eBay for fairly cheap.  Shouldn't be too hard to mount.

Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2006, 07:14:16 pm »
What rear signals are those - have a closeup?
The signals were accquired from Drag Specialties, the "AMERICAN" division of Parts Unlimited.
You can order them from any V-Twin/HD shop. They are the smallest housing that holds a dual
fillament 1157 automotive style bulb (which is why I bought them). They come with both red and amber covers,
are heavy duty metal/chrome, and are bright as hell. I currently have them wired as Brake + Running lights , to go along with my plate mounted L.E.D Cateye light...
ProTeal, check this out! (I know it's a Yamaha but, check out the aluminum & the pipes)
http://www.650motorcycles.com/HansProst102.html
Bill, that XS is BADASS ! Seeing a bike like that kinda makes me wanna rip off my 21'' front wheel and do a newer sportbike setup. My next CB project will be strickly a racer, like that one in that pic. I really dig the tank, and the exhaust...

I am leaning more and more towards the "overused" cafe style seatpan. It looks good on these bikes, and seems to solve all the issues I am having in my head with what seat to get. If I do go that route, I will prob. just order one from Carpy allready done. Just paint it and forget it  ;D
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2006, 07:41:22 pm »

ProTeal, I kinda figured that you'd like that look. If the aluminum stuff wouldn't be so high,
      I'd be doing something along that line. I got that and the one about making a seat, using the rear portion of a gas tank, off of 650motorcycles.com and I think they have some good ideas that could be used on about anything. You oughta check it out. Later on, Bill
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2006, 07:37:39 am »
What rear signals are those - have a closeup?
TINTIN ---->
Here is a link to the exact lights I have on my scoot......
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1728/324/2382428
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 08:37:32 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2006, 03:02:50 pm »
Can I also ask about your plate bracket?  Home made or bought?  I'm still figuring out what to do with my plate once I lose the rear fender.  I'm thinking about mounting a brake light under the rear seat support brace, signals where you have your lights, and my plate on a bracket like yours.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2006, 03:44:40 pm »
Can I also ask about your plate bracket? Home made or bought?
I bought the cateye L.E.D light , and made the "frame" outta an old stopsign I had in my garage.
Basicaly l traced the cateye and plate onto it, and cut it out, drilled some holes, got some angle brackets
from Home Depot, painted in black, and bolted it all up. I might do something a bit more creative for the plate, but for now
it is fine, and is DEF. not going anywhere.... ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2006, 07:24:20 pm »

ProTeal, Check this one out. Makes me want to check out the possibility of a monoshock
           rear end on my 550.    http://www.650motorcycles.com/KevinScott.html What do you
           think? Later on, Bill
Member # 1969

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2006, 10:56:04 pm »
ProTeal, Check this one out. Makes me want to check out the possibility of a monoshock
rear end on my 550. http://www.650motorcycles.com/KevinScott.html What do you
think? Later on, Bill
To be honest with ya, the ONLY thing I like about that one is the exhaust. The other XS you linked was much
more my style.

** UPDATE 5/14/2006 **
Finally dropped off the bike at Triple-o Service http://www.tripleoservice.com/ in the city, and got to meet the legendary Fred (owner). We spent over an hour going thru the entire bike, from headlight to rear tire. He was going over each item on the bike, asking why I did what I did, then offering up his opinions, telling me about his past customers bikes, what worked & what didn't, etc.. I could tell from the start that he def. knows his #$%* about these bikes, which made me feel good for once (with all the crap I have been dealing with lately). It is gonna take about a month for him to get thru the bike, and cost me a pretty penny, but at least I know it will finally be fixed right. Pretty much everything I bought for the front - end needs to be replaced, lines are incorrect, calipers are messed up , etc.. :-\
But, when I get it back all will be good with the world, and I plan to ride the hell outta it until it snows, then bundle up and ride some more....

More updates as progress starts to happen.....

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2006, 06:47:39 am »

I liked the idea of a monoshock, front end and the exhaust.  I guess you're looking for a
      seat style now, is that right? If I see something of interest, I'll let you know. Later on, Bill
Member # 1969

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2006, 06:53:52 am »
While I can appreciate the work that has gone into those xs650's, they have more modern parts than old, and look like something that rolled off the assembly line in the last 5 years.

Here's something more along the lines of my tastes, and there's a hint of Honda SOHC in there too ;)

http://www.650motorcycles.com/Roni.html
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2006, 07:52:01 am »
While I can appreciate the work that has gone into those xs650's, they have more modern parts than old, and look like something that rolled off the assembly line in the last 5 years.

Here's something more along the lines of my tastes, and there's a hint of Honda SOHC in there too ;)

You are right, that's one fine looking machine. I must have missed that one. That last
     one I posted WAS more like those of now. There are several, though ,that are along the lines of
     the one you posted. I have been browsing that site for a few years now and, while I do have a
     couple of Yamaha 650 Project bikes myself, I'm mainly am looking for ideas to apply to the
     Hondas. Later on, Bill
Member # 1969

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2006, 11:31:20 am »
I def. like the pipes on that linked bike above. I am gonna try and do something like that over this winter, as I have a few chassis shop owners that owe me favours. Plan to get another set of stock pipes and use them, along with what I have to create something "special" so to speak. As far as seats go, I keep falling back to the reg' old painted cafe style seat pan. The look is timeless, cost is reasonable, and they seems to be readily available from a few different manf. I def. want something to hold my ass on the seat, as I feel (with the stock seat) that one good bump is gonna slide me off the thing... ;D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:16:23 pm by ProTeal55 »

AntiRiceCRX

Re: 5/02/2006 PROGRESS PICS OF PROJECT "JUNK".....
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2006, 12:37:41 pm »
Check out this no fender/single seat, angled exhaust look..  Kinda like you guys are describing?  At least, that's the image that comes to mind for me..

Where can i get a seat like that??? That is freakin coooool.

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2006, 02:01:04 pm »
Take a look here
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 02:02:51 pm by maksuttt »
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2006, 02:24:11 pm »
Take a look here
Good seats, very good prices.....

AntiRiceCRX

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2006, 08:39:51 pm »
there all really skinny, the one TT model is only 5.5 inches wide, my 500 frame is like 8-9 inches wide, a there XR flat track seat is still only 6 inches wide and thats the widest model they have
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:42:33 pm by AntiRiceCRX »

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2006, 09:27:43 am »
** Project "JUnK" Update as of 5/15/06 **

- Get a phone call from Fred (Owner of Triple-O service, where my bike is) and says the entire front-end/brake system is F U B A R 
Among the thing wrong with are :
1. Lines and fittings are wrong (my fault)
2. Front speedo-drive delete "custom" spacer is too narrow (Dragman's fault)
3. Calipers are on the inside of the front-end (Dragman's fault)

As far as #3 goes, I know their was a huge thread on this topic not too long ago. From what Fred told me, with the way the stock Honda caliper "arms" are designed, they dont apply the same about if pressure to hold the caliper when used behind the lower legs. He said it will hold the caliper, but advises that more stopping power with the stock setup will be with the calipers "in - front" of the lower legs , I.E stock position. So, those of you who have done this to your bikes you might wanna rethink / research it some more.

#1 is my fault, across the board. The lines I got were way-too big for my application, wrong banjo bolts, wrong brake fluid, etc.. I am man enough to admit fault when I do wrong, and this is one of those times. I never said I was a motorcycle mechanic, and now I know I am def. not one, nor wanna be one.

#2 could if killed me. The "custom spacer" that was made for me by Mr. Dragman was about 1/4 of a inch too short, so the front-wheel would wobble from side to side inside the front forks ! I couldn't see it during the day, and couldn't feel it under 40mph. The last time (thank god) I rode the bike at night, I could see the shadow of the 21'' front wheel in the headlight, and as I went faster, the shadow started to move from side to side. Pretty cool huh  ::)

So all will be well, after about a month (guy is busy) , and a pretty hefty labor bill. All new lines will be made, the stock brae pressure switch will be modified and become a more "factory" looking Y splitter for the lines, etc.

More updates/horror stories to come..... ::)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS-->LAST UPDATED 5/15/2006
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2006, 09:36:57 am »

ProTeal, Thank God that it leaked. If it didn't leak, you might have gone out for a pretty
         speedy run and that front situation could have put you in the hospital or worse. You take care
         and we want to see the bike continue to progress. Shame about the hefty labor bill you're gonna
         have but, at least you'll be around to take care of it. Later on, Bill
Member # 1969

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2006, 12:25:29 pm »
Thank God that it leaked. If it didn't leak, you might have gone out for a pretty
speedy run and that front situation could have put you in the hospital or worse.
I know ! And to think I almost took that suciede bike on the Kennedy (most congested highway in the city) to get it to the bike shop  ::) I could only think of what might of happened if that wheel came off at speed, or the brakes locked up , etc...

As of today, 5/15/06 I want/have NOTHING to do with Dennis or DRAGMAN Motorcycle Parts. I tried to contact him with these issues, and I have heard nothing, not even a email. I said I would keep this ranting & raving to myself, but things have changed sience then. I tried to be fair and adult about it, but when he put my life in his hands, thats where I draw the straw. He might have allot of parts and all, but I wouldn't trust my girlfriends neighbors couisns kids life with his fabraction "skills".

More updates , and less ranting to come............

p.s--> Have you seen this pic of my Ex Ericka yet ?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:14:54 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2006, 03:00:31 am »
Sorry to hear about your on-going problems. Can I have Ericka's phone number, she can adorn my bike anytime she likes. (cleans drool from chin)
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2006, 06:16:50 am »
Can I have Ericka's phone number, she can adorn my bike anytime she likes. (cleans drool from chin)
She lives in California at the momment, but I do have her number still. Talked ot her about three months ago for alittle while. She will pose on whatever you want, for a set price...

Offline Chris Liston

• Expert
    • http://christopherliston.com
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2006, 06:31:08 am »
pro skateboarding=good life :)  I'm jealous
2008 Triumph Speed Triple Black and NASTY
1976 CB550F Cafe in progress
http://christopherliston.com
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2402

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2006, 07:11:45 am »
pro skateboarding=good life :) I'm jealous
Don't be jealous.
I wasn't "professional" so to speak, but I was sponsored for quite some time. I was sponsored by a company called "The new deal" for a few years, then I went over to "Blind Skateboards" , Then I was skating for "World Industries" when I broke my right leg, thus the end of my "stint" and as boarder. I met the lovely Ericka thru my workings at a couple custom V-Twin shops. The "chopper" world is fully of busty ladies, all looking to become the next Pam Anderson. You would be amazed at what a few drinks and some well "placed" words can get a young man  ;D :o ;D

Now I work in New truck sales here at Trans-Chicago. We sell Class 3 - 8 Freightliner, Sterling , & Western Star trucks. This "world" is much more calm, compared to where I came from. As I dont run into girls like Ericka on a daily basis as I did with previous jobs I have had..  But it pays the bills I guess...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 07:14:46 am by ProTeal55 »