Author Topic: 71 CB500 Front shock disassembly questions  (Read 1380 times)

Offline ben.cb500

• Enthusiast
71 CB500 Front shock disassembly questions
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »
I have my 71 CB500 front shocks disassembled to replace the fork seals. Have a couple of questions.

I did not take the lock nut off and remove the spring and lower damper unit.

Is there any point in going any further? Do i just clean and blow out the small orifices with compressed air to ensure they are clear?

Leaks, both sides leaked from the 6mm ALLEN bolt at the bottom of the shock. One had a brass washer, the other was missing.

Anyone have a part number for this brass washer so i can order? Or specs?

What else should I do while I am in here? spacers/preload?

On re-assembly, any tips or todo's. The manual is vague and I would like to ensure proper alignment, performance etc....

TIP: the lower races that hold the front wheel to the fork tubes are stamped "F" I would assume for "forwward", and after stairing at it for a bit they are either lower or higher at the front (cant remember)...but just from one novice to another maybe....do i have this right?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:32:15 pm by ben.cb500 »

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: 71 CB500 Front shock disassembly questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:09:37 am »
washer 90544-283-000, Axle clamps, High end at front, do up front first then tighten rear till axle clamped
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:15:29 am »
a nut and bolt supply or bearing service should have the copper washers you need,get a couple of spares while your there,the 6mm ones also go under the end bolts on the cam cover,the one that holds the chrome rocker shaft retainer,id pull them down fully,,its only a half job if you dont,,something a shady shop or po might do.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:21:09 am by dave500 »

Offline ben.cb500

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »
Could someone comment on reassembly sequence. The caps screwonto the threaded rod against the lock nut. Then i was going to screw caps into fork tubes and finally the 6m allen from the bottom into bottom f the assembly.

The reason iask is because the bottom allen bolts were easily broken free and i suspect may have become loose when i loosened the fork caps a couple of times to change out oil...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:58:22 pm by ben.cb500 »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 05:10:06 am »
Could someone comment on reassembly sequence. The caps screwonto the threaded rod against the lock nut. Then i was going to screw caps into fork tubes and finally the 6m allen from the bottom into bottom f the assembly.

The reason iask is because the bottom allen bolts were easily broken free and i suspect may have become loose when i loosened the fork caps a couple of times to change out oil...

It is necessary to do it that way so you can get the lower allen bolt tight, which it seems like it wasn't originally.  Only put the top caps in several turns as you will need to loosen them to add the fluid...Larry   I use the removable Loctite on the allens.