Author Topic: Exhaust FAQ  (Read 20632 times)

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Exhaust FAQ
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:23:53 am »
SOHC4 exhausts are prone to rusting internally – how can I delay this?
If you get the inside of the pipes cleaned and zinc coated, you will have no rust until the zinc is used up. Sacrificial zinc anodes work well but there's no practical place for them inside the headers. Tankwise, I put some twostroke oil in the fuel, it coats the tank and the inside of the pipes (pipes rusting from the inside is common on these bikes)- never had a problem with plugs fouling etc.....probably because I have a rule which says I only use my SOHC for rides of over 30 mins, so the condense water in the pips gets a chance to burn out. For shorter rides I use my old two stroke. Prepare new pipes by pouring oil into them before mounting, and go for a ride to burn the oil fast to the pipes.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Exhaust Theory 101
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:44:20 am »
Most of us don't know how to characterize the flow characteristics of the stock exhaust sytem over the operating band.  Likewise, I've yet to see any data charaterizing aftermarket exhausts beyond manufacturer's claims of "Improved" or "Better".  The same dilema exists for the air filtering side, too. If such flow charateristic charts or data were available, you might be able to predict some kind of mixture change requirements.

www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Thanks - TwoTired
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:47:10 am by SteveD CB500F »
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Harry

• Hot Shot
    • CB500F

The silencers are made by MIVV, an italian company, and is a 4-4 silencer system that attaches to your
original downpipes. You have to cut the original end cans off to fit the new pattern silencers to the stock down pipes.

The silencers are good quality shiny stainless steel, but are not quite the same shape as the original 4-4 system as they do not have the pressed seams and are a slight conical shape.
You can see them at the MIVV website: http://www.mivv.it/moto_usa/prodotti_ricambi_case_apri.asp?codice_marche_moto=15

I got mine via David Silver spares in the UK, they can order them as a special order.

Harry Teicher, member #3,  Denmark....no, NOT the capital of Sweden.