Author Topic: 76 cb750 Fork stripped bolt.  (Read 2228 times)

anotherknowitall

76 cb750 Fork stripped bolt.
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
The bolt at the bottom of the fork is stripped and the other wont budge.  Anyone have any ideas on how I can loosen these bolts?

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
Re: 76 cb750 Fork stripped bolt.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:15 am »
lots of penetrating lube and then heat.  if it's TOTALLY stripped, then i don't know what to tell ya...  i had one on a goldwing front end of mine do that crap to me, and i got lucky with heat.  but then again, the bolt wasn't totally stripped either.  you could always TRY to drill a small hole in the middle, then reverse tap it, and see if you get lucky that way.  otherwise, take it to a machine shop and see if they could bore most of it out without hitting the threads.
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline Bakeoff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:00:46 am »
If its stripped and not spinning, I'd just drill the head off of it.  Once you get the damper rod out, you should be able to grab the end of it with vice grips to get it out. 

Another trick I like to use is to weld a bolt to the end of the existing/damaged bolt.  The heat normally frees up the threads, and then you have a normal hex head to back it out.

anotherknowitall

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:52:03 pm »

Another trick I like to use is to weld a bolt to the end of the existing/damaged bolt.  The heat normally frees up the threads, and then you have a normal hex head to back it out.

THAT IS GENIUS! THANKS  I will try it tomorrow.  I went to buy an extractor at autozone and the workers sold me a tapping set instead, so.....I tapped the fork out of the screw and tried to jam another bolt in the hole. Welding sounds like a better idea.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:56:31 pm »
The bolt at the bottom of the fork is stripped and the other wont budge.  Anyone have any ideas on how I can loosen these bolts?
The bolt at the bottom...hmmm. Is that the allen head you're talking about? .

Is it the allen? You have to hold that internal damper still to get it out.

If I'm off base, never mind.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

anotherknowitall

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »
[quote author=MCRider link=topic=92421.msg1031388#msg1031388 The bolt at the bottom...hmmm. Is that the allen head you're talking about? .

Is it the allen? You have to hold that internal damper still to get it out.

If I'm off base, never mind.
[/quote]
Yup the allen head at the bottom.  I have to push the whole tube into the lower part of the fork to get it out?

I drilled this one in a few inches this was the stripped one.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:49:39 pm »
ya, i tried welding it, but i couldn't get the rod in far enough to do any good... 

drilling the head off works well too, did that with a few forks as well.  the drill bit ended up freeing the threads once i got ahold of the damper rod well enough.  that is another story though!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

anotherknowitall

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »
Any idea what size I should use to take out the head and then the threads?  This bike has had way too many bolts stripping on me.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »
The deal is you should loosen that bolt before disassembling the whole thing. That way the spring applies pressure to the damper to hold it still, then hit it wiith and air impact or the like. Then disassemble the rest of the tube and take that bolt the rest of the way out.

On the early 750s hondas parts book doesn't even acknowledge the existence of that bolt and damper. They are never to come out. I have found taking one out that there can be a lot of crud to clean up.

If the fork is already disassembled, many will shove a broomstick or fat dowel into the lower leg to hold the damper still. Put the piece of broomstick on the floor, insert the lower leg over it, press down, then hit that bolt with an impact, air,hammer or otherwise.

At the stage your at drilling the head off is likely your only hope. Then the damper will fall out with what's left of the bolt still in it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

anotherknowitall

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »
Thanks for the info!  Im going to give it a shot tomorrow, finally be able to get that damn thing free.

anotherknowitall

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 05:42:45 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  Drilled the first one out perfectly, and the second I guess decided to cooperate out of fear lol.  It just popped right out, but the bolt still wont budge.