Author Topic: A cheap.. but good clamp fix for cheap bar end mirrors.  (Read 8174 times)

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
A cheap.. but good clamp fix for cheap bar end mirrors.
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
Got a great deal on these bar end mirrors for only 15 bucks  each.
The mirrors and arms are decent quality, but boy did they skimp on the inside bar clamp.
I was skeptical at first if they'd hold but installed them anyway to see. They didn't hold very well. The steel is so soft that the nut just grooved it's way right down never really tightening up inside the bar. One of the mirrors flopped back at me fast on the freeway. That's not good.

So I grabbed some 3/4" conduit which fits smoothly inside the handle bar. Made an angular slice and then another straight one to end up with the two pieces shown. I just happened to have a couple of flange nuts that fit the bolt and the flange just happened to be 3/4"... perfect. If you don't have a flange nut a standard lock washer with the provided nut will work just as well.  ;)
With the assembly loose just wiggle it into the bar to where you want it. You can also leave it hanging out a little so it doesn't interfere with the throttle. Tighten it up and it will clamp on strong!  ;D
And they come back off just as easily!
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: A cheap.. but good clamp fix for cheap bar end mirrors.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »
Excellent solution.  I have the same mirrors but chrome and am having the same slipping problem.  I'll give your fix a try.  Thanks...Larry

Offline Psychonaut

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:45 pm »
I've been looking at the Emgo and Halcyon.  I see you have a spot mirror on your. Do the Emgos have flat or convex glass? I hate the flat ones I have now.

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:06:13 pm »
They're flat... the convex  2" round ones stick on .. from Walmart for $1.99.
After a couple of rides to get used to 'em... They make it easy to see my blind spots with just a flick of my eyes
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!

Offline Cut

• CHARLIE DONT SURF !!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:53:09 pm »
Yesterdays intelligence tomorrow...as they say.  I surely could have used this post the other day when one of my cheap DCC bar-end mirrors decided to take an abrupt left hand turn without me on the highway the other day.  Dont install the DCC $15 bar ends mirrors (Triumph Style) without reviewing this post first.  Now thats news you can use!  Thanks DJ.

P.S.  I heart the wing'ed piston and have shallow pockets.
1975 CB550k1 (Hot Wifes Ride)
2012 BMW F800GS
1968 CB450 Bomber (Restoration Project)

Offline indyjoel

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »
Hi
I just bought some of these mirrors and yep the inside sucks.

Am reading the comments and am as usual confused.

Did you mean cut the conduit on an angle for both pieces? I am not sure what you mean "and then another straight one"

To me the pictures look like you put the conduit in a vice and cut them both at the same angle.

Did you then put the conduit over the existing crappy silver internal part of just insert the conduit over the top of the existing screw?

thanks

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:59 pm »
Pretty much it's a short piece of pipe (2" cut square on the ends)
and then that piece cut  in half at a steep angle.

it's easier to do the angle cut first (at the end of the pipe)

Does that help?

And welcome to the forum :)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:57 am »
Thanks! 

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:53:50 am »
Nice solution! I opted for lock-tite on mine, but I like this better.

Offline ElCheapo

• Hot Shot
    • Anubis Cycle
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:03 pm »
Nice solution. Years ago I lost a mirror on Home Wrecker. Wish I had thought of this.
Contact me for affordable rotor drilling services at $55 each rotor. Same day service on CB750/CB500/CB550 rotors. Next day on everything else.

Offline Rudi91

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:09:33 am »
I took off my Acerbis handguards (off my supermoto) last week too found out they use the exact same way to make sure they stay on like in this topic :O.
Also got some cheap bar end mirrors and probably going to do the same.

The supermoto is a Husqvarna TE610 so it vibrates alot, if it stays on there it sure will on our Honda's :).
CB350F '73

Offline ncstatecamp

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:48:31 am »
Even easier... Replace all that with some oil hose same Id as your bolt od as the id of the handle. Squishes when the nuts tighten and viola!