Author Topic: The Abomination thread!  (Read 173862 times)

Offline morini

• Hot Shot
Re: The Abomination thread!
« Reply #2225 on: August 01, 2020, 01:59:49 am »
I drove a VW bug once, and I just thought it was one of the least exciting vehicle I'd ever driven

Years ago, after a business trip to Sydney, I was offered a lift home by my workmate. His wife picked us up in a ratty Beetle. We got onto the Tulla, it was night, and it was raining.  She weaved through traffic like a frickin' maniac.  It was one of the few times in my life that I've been genuinely scared!  Then she slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a semi, and nothing much happened to slow us down.  I remember nervously saying "Oh, this has drum brakes...".

Trevor
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2226 on: August 01, 2020, 04:57:43 pm »
Yeah mate, back in the 70's my hippy mate Dobbo gave me a ride from Bairnsdale back to Melbourne in his Kombi. The (normally 3 hour) trip took 5 hours, as the big underpowered POS was lucky to cruise on 50 MPH, and considerably less going uphill. The Army had them back then as well, and I remember sliding the side door shut on one, and it falling off on the ground. I've never understood the attraction. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

Offline gpzkat

« Reply #2227 on: August 01, 2020, 09:04:45 pm »
I had a 1200 beetle in Greece in the 80s, we used to go to Mt. Parnassus skiing and I'd load up with 3 guys and ski equipment, just about getting passed by donkey carts on the climb. Then I had a 1700 with double sliding doors there too, it was hard to kill but I tried. 

In the 90s living in Melbourne I got a '74 upright 1600 dual port bus, ex Telecom (orange) I think, converted to a Westfalia type camper for 1K, threw a re manufactured engine in it and took off for Alice Springs at Christmas.  Luckily it was only about 40C at the hottest. I saw many burned out VWs on that trip, but mine was a champ, just keep to 100KPH and ensure that the ducting was well sealed. Going up the Stuart the brown eagles were a menace, they had bellies full of road kill and I feared one not taking off and clearing my windshield.  I think the rabbit population had a severe decline due to mixamatosis being released or something, so the eagles were first well populated, then suddenly very hungry for road kill.  Coming over a road whoop I'd see them trying to lift off.  Good thing I was a slow coach.

VWs are cool, just take it slow and enjoy the ride.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • AZ
« Reply #2228 on: August 01, 2020, 10:42:45 pm »
My '61 Bus had no problems with hills. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2229 on: August 02, 2020, 02:21:18 am »
My '61 Bus had no problems with hills. ;)

OK, that's the first VW bus I've seen that I like. What's the engine Scott? I did see a VW fastback with an all alloy Rover 4 litre V8 years ago that was pretty cool. I've seen mazda rotaries and Subaru turbo conversions and even Corvair and Porsche 6's in VW's, so I suppose in that respect they're cool, but only when you throw away the POS lawn tractor engine that came with them from the factory. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #2230 on: August 02, 2020, 10:20:46 am »
My 71 bug with a 2180 has no problems cruising at any speed.....neither did the Ghia.  But then I've owned and built AC VW's for decades, they're REALLY EASY to make decently fast and have awesome aftermarket support.

90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • AZ
« Reply #2231 on: August 02, 2020, 07:44:51 pm »
It's a Chrysler 413, Terry. The 413 was introduced in 1959 as a replacement for the 1st gen 392 Hemi, and grew to a 426, with some wild intake systems in the highest performance versions. The 413/426 wedge motors were phased out after '65 and replaced with the 440. The 2nd gen 426 Hemi was based on the wedge motor architecture, and parts like cams, crankshafts, and distributors were interchangeable.   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

;