Author Topic: The Abomination thread!  (Read 358892 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: The Abomination thread!
« Reply #2775 on: September 06, 2022, 01:37:46 pm »
Ah but that exhaust wrap must add at least 10 mph ! 

Ha ha, I’d love to know what it’s hiding Simon, there seems to be a few different sized pieces of pipe in the transition from headers to mufflers. I always laugh inwardly when I see bare rusty gas tanks and wrapped (previously chromed) headers, it seems like the builder had his priorities backwards. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2776 on: September 06, 2022, 03:43:24 pm »
Too much to list

Run away
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #2777 on: September 06, 2022, 09:12:40 pm »
Ah but that exhaust wrap must add at least 10 mph ! 

Ha ha, I’d love to know what it’s hiding Simon, there seems to be a few different sized pieces of pipe in the transition from headers to mufflers. I always laugh inwardly when I see bare rusty gas tanks and wrapped (previously chromed) headers, it seems like the builder had his priorities backwards. ;D

Thats called the Anaconda with a full belly mod!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2778 on: September 06, 2022, 11:13:17 pm »
That Suzuki with the rusty tank(looks like an early GS450/E)has 'rust' as it's color on the registration?  :D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2779 on: September 07, 2022, 12:23:54 am »
That Suzuki with the rusty tank(looks like an early GS450/E)has 'rust' as it's color on the registration?  :D

Ha ha, like most of these modified (poorly) piles-o-#$%*e, it's being sold with no registration or roadworthy certificate. As Steve says, run away! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2780 on: October 14, 2022, 04:53:44 pm »
I saw this on FB Marketplace a few days ago, apparently it's a small Yamaha with a Kawasaki 250 engine, "Runs and rides, needs a little TLC". A real bargain for only 400 bucks......... ;D

Yama-horrible by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2781 on: October 14, 2022, 08:35:45 pm »
There's some major engineering and custom fabrication in that 2 stroke tuned expansion chamber !  :D

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #2782 on: October 27, 2022, 07:13:11 am »
saw it on fb market
73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2783 on: October 27, 2022, 10:31:11 am »
Good find Shtone, I love the blue engine.  And you know it was well taken care of considering how he parked his car in the woods so all that protective vegetation could grow up around it.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2784 on: October 27, 2022, 11:22:24 am »
Both the 'horrible' Yamaha/Kaw. and that blue CB750 with the 'custom'? hardtail seem to have a similar bottom/middle of the frame riding kind of low;could they install a pair of hinges in the middle frame that flex with the suspension ?  :D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2785 on: November 08, 2022, 01:04:08 am »
Now this isn't really an abomination, I would love to own a TS400, but I saw this on Ebay and the description made me laugh.

Suzuki TS400 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

"Rode hard and hung up wet more often than not, only needs one of everything." ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2786 on: November 08, 2022, 05:52:03 am »
Yes an "Apache" would be fun to own, definitely don't see many turning up around here.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2787 on: November 08, 2022, 06:58:26 am »
I always feel sorry for bikes parked out in the weeds or just hammered to death. Seems sad
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2788 on: November 08, 2022, 11:19:20 am »
Thanks guys, it’s not particularly cheap at $1500 AUD ($974 USD thanks to the abysmal conversion rate at the moment) but I am tempted. Having said that, I have a perfectly good Yamaha RT3 that I’ve done nothing with in the 2 or 3 years I’ve owned it and I really should finish several projects that I’ve ignored before I’m too old to.

Interestingly there aren’t much in the way of parts for one here but a ton on Ebay USA, but of course with shipping and that awful conversion rate, it’s probably not practical to buy in all the parts it’ll need to make it beautiful again….. ;D

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2789 on: November 08, 2022, 01:26:44 pm »
If I stumbled on a Titan I’d be tempted
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2790 on: November 08, 2022, 02:28:16 pm »
If I stumbled on a Titan I’d be tempted

I almost tripped over one in my garage yesterday! ;D

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2791 on: November 08, 2022, 10:02:19 pm »
Maybe waiting for a better exchange rate is a good idea? Sometimes keeping money in the bank during times of high inflation is just a bad idea. Investing it in something that won't lose value will preserve that value until financial times change for the better.
If I were me but less lazy, I'd spend more time putting together the stuff I have that I've already bought tons of parts for.
I guess I'm talking more to myself than anyone else, sorry.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2792 on: November 09, 2022, 01:13:29 am »
Nothing wrong with thinking out loud Al, I'd love to find something that would guarantee me a return, but the investment sector is as unreliable as a 1970's Ducati, which ironically is a very good investment, as long as you don't want a daily rider........

I'm super pissed at my retirement fund that boasts an average annual return of 10%. Last year I dumped in $40K of my own cash, and between me and my employer I invest another $25K annually, so was less than happy when I received my annual statement where they apologised that, not only had they not made any profit at all on my money, but lost 2.7% of what was in there last year. Thanks a fcuking lot..........

I think I'll keep buying sh1tty old bikes with potential, it seems they're the only "investments" that make me any sort of return...... ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2793 on: November 09, 2022, 06:31:07 pm »
Nothing wrong with thinking out loud Al, I'd love to find something that would guarantee me a return, but the investment sector is as unreliable as a 1970's Ducati, which ironically is a very good investment, as long as you don't want a daily rider........

I'm super pissed at my retirement fund that boasts an average annual return of 10%. Last year I dumped in $40K of my own cash, and between me and my employer I invest another $25K annually, so was less than happy when I received my annual statement where they apologised that, not only had they not made any profit at all on my money, but lost 2.7% of what was in there last year. Thanks a fcuking lot..........

I think I'll keep buying sh1tty old bikes with potential, it seems they're the only "investments" that make me any sort of return...... ;D

I'm turning left onto that same road, Terry: my "investments" made someone richer, but it wasn't me. :(
Now I have a garage and shed full of SOHC4 that I'm lining up for rebuilds and restos, for sale next year, my winter project when it is warm enough to not type on My CB500/550 Book...
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2794 on: November 13, 2022, 01:22:13 pm »
A portion of my annuity was self funded. It made someone money but not me.
There is a 500f in my neighborhood that just sits outside. If your 500f book (Hondaman) comes out I may be tempted to go speak with the owner. My wife may object after watching me on the Z1, (it’s still apart, I’m obsessively checking oil passages.)
Oh, can you entertain us with some photos some time?
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2795 on: November 13, 2022, 04:20:43 pm »
I couldn’t help myself, I sent the owner of the TS400 an offer of $1200. He said “No thanks” and relisted it when it ended with no bids. Two days later he sent me a message saying he’d take $1300 and a case of beer, so I said, “sure”. I need another bike project like I need another hole in my head, but heck, I do like big two strokes…. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2796 on: November 13, 2022, 08:45:35 pm »
Looks like it needs all new plastics and lots of phosphoric acid soak... Good luck with your abomination Uncle T... How many years it sit outside?
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2797 on: November 13, 2022, 09:46:08 pm »
Looks like it needs all new plastics and lots of phosphoric acid soak... Good luck with your abomination Uncle T... How many years it sit outside?

Thanks David, how many years did it sit outside? Probably most of them, looking at it. The seller rang me, he's a good guy, he's told me what a pig it is, and he said that rather than me agreeing to buy it sight unseen, I should come over and take a look, and he won't be offended if I don't buy it.

The plan is that I'll drive over to his place tomorrow afternoon (I'll drive my little truck) and if it's not beyond hope (and I have very low standards...) I'll buy it. It won't be a priority project, but they're pretty thin on the ground here (he has another one, in much better condition) so it still might be a good pickup. Interestingly enough, there are a lot of "crossover" parts between the TS400 and T350/500, so the speedo and tach, for instance are identical, and by chance, I have a spare set, so that'll save me a few hundred bucks alone. If I buy it....... ;D

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2798 on: December 03, 2022, 12:42:38 pm »
Currently on CL for $2k.  Not quite an abomination but.. suspiciously cheap.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #2799 on: December 03, 2022, 01:56:38 pm »
Classic example of “too much to list”
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki